Is it just me or do fenders JUMBO frets seem HUGE...?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kluch, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Kluch

Kluch Member

Was in chicago music exchange on fathers day. Looked at a number of guitars. I love fenders offerings but anytime I notice the frets are jumbo I'm just immediately turned off. Maybe guys with bigger hands love them?

2. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

What was it exactly that you didn't like about them?

3. J Factor

J Factor Silver Supporting Member

Tell me which ones! I love jumbos, and not really the tall/thin ones I've been seeing on modern Fenders. I can't stand the tiny vintage frets on my old strat, and one of these days I'll get around to ordering a new neck for it.

dvilla76 and deadbeat son like this.
  4. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

My dainty little hands loved the jumbo frets on the discontinued American Standard guitars (not to be confused with the toilets or urinals of the same name.) My current AO ‘60s tele has the tall narrow frets, and I miss the frets from my old Tele.

5. Kluch

Kluch Member

they seem really large and round (...they are jumbo lol). They just seemed to large to me, maybe I just need to get used to them idk. Like they seemed to stick out way above the fretboard which I guess I'm not used to. The last 7-8 years my main guitar was a MIJ strat which had smaller frets and I guess I'm used to medium-jumbo frets.

6. thebeebs

thebeebs Member

Ah, I feel ya. I recently bought a guitar with jumbos and I have definitely had to learn to lighten my touch. But, now that I have, playing feels a lot more effortless. Something to think about

Kluch likes this.
  7. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Nah, its not really a big hand thing.. its more for the 'shredders' and that. To me they are like playing on a railroad track. What I will say though is I do like tall frets.. but not wide AND tall (which is what most jumbos are). Fender has the narrow tall fret on the American Pro which I like way more than JUMBO frets. They're big frets but not so fat. Also, the medium jumbos are good too.. not too big. Gibson has a nice medium jumbo fret as well on most guitars.

So yeah, look for models with medium jumbo, narrow tall, etc for more comfort. I have the medium jumbos on my Kiesel:

[​IMG]

Best fret I have ever played on so far next to my Gibson.

Drawde likes this.
  8. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I bought an American Pro Strat, lovely guitar, but couldn’t bond with the jumbos. I sold the neck for a good price and bought a Fender replacement Pau Ferro with medium jumbos. Made a profit on the neck sale so all good. Great guitar now. Jumbos were cumbersome in terms of what I’m used to and it was too easy to over fret and notes would go sharp.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Wider jumbos have a smoother 'ramp' imo and less bumpy feel.
    I like them. I need height to get a grip on the strings.

10. Mike_it_up

Mike_it_up Member

Just picked up an American special with Jumbos, and yes they are huge, but I totally dig them.
    All my other guitars have jumbos, so I was pleasantly surprised when I found out they were jumbo.

David B likes this.
  11. David B

David B Silver Supporting Member

It's about more grip for bends, pull-offs, hammer-ons etc. Smalls are happy at the giant fret party. I never met a fret that was too big for me, but I have met many that were too small. Dress em' down a bit if you don't like them tall, less than an hour and you are there.

Windup 43 and Kluch like this.
  12. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

Like back profiles and radius's, play one for a while and you'd probably get use to them. I sometimes pickup my Jumbo fret Strat and they feel small...

13. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Those aren't a true jumbo fret, I like them way more than actual jumbos that you find on Ibanez and stuff. But yeah medium jumbos are good too.

14. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

I never noticed a difference. I can go from my ec to my amer special and other than the neck radius notice no difference. Ymmv

15. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I love them for the same reason, I can pull off all those techniques with ease...big part of my playing. That said, I have guitars with all different size fretwire and adapt accordingly.

David B likes this.