Is it just me or do the pedal makers not play guitar??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gibson08, Aug 31, 2008.

1. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Maybe its just me but it seems that I only use a small portion of the pedal adjustments, most of the time the effect is almost all the way down, and I can only move the adjustment like a 1/16 of an inch any more and its too much effect! why dont they use something that allows the user to select his/her area of adjustment?? I def notice this on various reverbs or delay units in particular. Is it that I am supposed to be using these effects thru a loop instead of in front of the amps??

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

It's because not all guitarists want subtlety. I keep my sound simple the majority of the time, but when I step on an effect, often I want a strongly contrasting interesting tone. I don't do the soft spacious delay to warm up my sound. I cranked the F'r and lose my sound in an echo so that when I go back my dry sound, it seems so much firmer and more present.

Most effect makers play guitar. They just try to build pedals that can be used by as many people as possible and having a good amount of range on a control knob definitely helps that cause.

3. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

The title of the thread made me laugh.

Some of the clips I've heard make me wonder.

4. spentron

spentron Member

If you're cranking the amp to some sort of overdrive, it will be more sensitive, both to getting overwhelmed, and in its ability to bring out that effect at times. Or maybe the issue is you're trying for "always on" settings.

The way controls want to work can be at odds with the designer. One might be able to substitute a different kind of control and then the problem is the opposite.

Some guitarists seem quite deaf when it comes to subtle effects. Some of those can play too, go figure.

5. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

keep in mind that if you use a delay BEFORE an overdrive (for example), the delays will be harder to control the more gain you apply....
    bw

6. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Most do, some don't.

7. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Paul Cochrane said in one post that he was a "bar band hack" so one builder would support your idea. Though I haven't heard Paul play, I don't buy it though because I think that it's more a matter of context and saying something that has meaning for you. Maybe I'm a romantic idealist. However, it's clear to me that his ears are outstanding and the Tim is all about usable tone; that pedal doesn't have a bad setting.

8. PaulC

PaulC Member

I don't remember saying that!!!

But since asked... My chops are nothing like what they were (spend to much time soldering, and not enough time playing), but I spent most of the 90's as a working player. I had a band in the 90's that got close to "making it". Had an indy deal, gigged all over the southeast, and had songs in a couple of bad movies. If you catch "barb wire" on TV you can hear a solo I'm doing while Pam Anderson is beating the crap out of the bad guys in the bar:dude But we were a little to heavy for the mid 90's.

And believe it or not I've sort of got a Grammy. Back when I was going for my audio eng degree the grammy people started giving them to schools. A bunch of us students put together a really bad "LA type happy jazz guitar song". We won for best Jazz performance from a music institution. The funny thing is I ABHOR JAZZ!!! We didn't get the cool grammy statue though - we just got plaques with a picture of a gramophone on them that said "sponsored by Soft and Dry" on the bottom...

The plan was to be a big star and have people make gear for me... Somehow I got it backwards:(

Later, PaulC
    myspace.com/paulcaudio

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  9. novawind

novawind Member

Haha Paul; anyone with your soldering repute shouldn't have "putz" as their occupation on myspace. :AOK

10. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

Oh man, I misquoted you. It was Clay Jones. I'm sorry. I usually don't slip up like this.

[​IMG]

I found the actual post (I save good ones like this so I don't lose them). Here is the original:

"In the context of what I do as a guitar player, I am and always will be a bar band hack (I use that word affectionately). I do very little studio work and what there is of that boils down to short snippets of gear clips which never come out how I would have preferred anyway. My gig is just me and 2 other guys I've played with for several years now. We do maybe 60 or so gigs a year just trying to cover as much musical territory as we can to please the typically disinterested crowds who take what we do for granted and initially consider us little more than a backdrop to the partying" (Jones, 200x).

11. gibson08

gibson08 Member

The only one I use in a "always on" setting would be my Holy Grail Plus which seems at this point is destined for Flea-bay because it is not very usable to me it is either no reverb or too much reverb.

12. gibson08

gibson08 Member

I have always used delay, chorus, reverb after drive type stuff, though not everyone does.

13. pear gage

pear gage Member

There are a million variables in output depending on pickup choice, pick choice or no pick, strumming, lead style, attack, amp interaction, tone and volume selection.

Maybe you have not played many different guitars/rigs or with many other guitar players.

14. cheen2006

cheen2006 Member

Haha...that's good stuff! Paul, sir, you must share some of that "too heavy" music with us.

15. gibson08

gibson08 Member

It really does not seem to matter on most of the things you brought up, its either no effect or too much effect and the other musicians around me are the same way, we are using a very small area on the effect knobs.

16. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Hello Sir, Sorry I dont know everyone here, but are you a pedal builder??

17. Rid

Rid Senior Member

That is some serious problems to have...too much effect:)
    Got an idea for a new line:D
    Restricted Area effects.....
    Now who would make those for me???
    Sorry could not help it......ones desire is another ones disgust....
    People are different, some use loads of effect and controls it for their useage, others might as well not use any as it is.

18. improv4

improv4 Member

I think that a lot of what goes into a pedal is the accumulated history of what musicians have been using, so it's not necessarily all the pedal builder's notion of what a guitarist needs.
    , C

19. stephen_b

stephen_b Member

just curious paul, if i didnt want to sit thru "barbed wire"... where could i get a listen to some of your old stuff.

20. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

A very popular one too. Paul is the builder of the very well regarded Tim and Timmy overdrive pedals.