Is it just me or does the solo on "Still The One" by Orleans just flat out rock?

jtm622

A very well thought out solo, with those two guitars playing smooth harmony - and not just "thirds" all the way through it... One of the greatest "two guitar" solos of all time, IMO.

John Hall also released an excellent with "The John Hall Band" after he left "Orleans"...

Strat335

I saw John Hall with his band at The Texas Opry House in '80...maybe '79...it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. His playing was so melodic and toneful. He had a great female percussionist, also. Our band did "Power" and another one of his songs, can't remember now which one.
Truly a great guitarist.

JSeth

John Hall is an amazing, wonderful player - love what he did on "all That You Dream" by Little Feat as well as his work with Orleans... I still remember, when I first learned a little harmony and theory, playing over the "Dance With Me" changes was just a ball!!!
I don't know what happened to him or the band - they were never real big but a couple singles that charted... I have a feeling that Mr. Hall did not have the stomache or patience for "the Biz"...

Hall is an amazing writer and musician.I suspect 'Still the One' set him up for life.The guitar bits on 'Waking and Dreaming',the song itself,stretch out more.I prefer stuff like 'Tongue-tied', off the second album.'Half Moon' is an excellent piece as well.

keninsyr

One of my favorite bands. Larry Hoppen was every bit John Hall's equal on guitar and played great keyboards. Saw them several times in their heyday and they always burned it down. Great singers by the way. Unfortunately the original drummer, Wells Kelly died a few years ago. Worth checking out.

Jon Silberman

10Q Jerry & Dickey
Gold Supporting Member
I caught Orlean live in the '70's, it was a great show. Even cooler, the opening act was comedian Robert Klein. It was, to put it mildly, a memorable show. To this day, I still smile when I remember Klein describing his experience as a young Jewish kid playing Shylock in his almost all Christian elementary school's version of A Merchant of Venice. :eek: :D

Marty s Horne

I've seen Orleans about 5 times at Max's Kansas City were my band was a regular. Awesome live band....tight funky playing and spot on vocal harmonies. Great guitar playing by John Hall and Larry Hoppen. My good friend Al Ferrante has been playing with Larry Hoppen in 2 bands; RPM and Orleans and Friends.

padavis

wow! Thanks for all the replies. I did not keep up with this thread I started. Lots of info on this and really put who they are in perspective for me. My buddy told me they might be tied to Newgrass? He said that Newgrass did Reach before or after them. Anyone know about that?
What about Newgrass? Any fans of them on the board?

AlChuck

Nice to see that so many folks know John Hall's work... I had the good fortune of seeing Orleans a couple of times in small venues in upstate NY where I went to college. I remember one Christmas show at a movie theater in New Paltz where they played this fantastic medley of reggae/rock versions of Christmas carols. Great guitar players, great band overall the fourth player was Larry Hoppen's brother Lance), they all sang beautifully too. It's too bad they're mostly known for the lie-rock classics "Still the One" and "Dance With Me" more than anything else, 'cause they could really smoke it.

Trending Topics