Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by vladshap, Jun 21, 2008.

1. vladshap

vladshap Member

<rant>

Is it just me, or does anyone else here does not understand what the big fuss is about ProTools? I understand that it is very popular, but what does ProTools do better than say Logic?.

I think the user interface of Logic is waaaaaay far superior than PT. ProTools looks like it was designed in 80s, which makes it harder to use. Logic seems to have everything placed in orderly fasion, so everything you need to do is on the fly.

Can someone please explain to me what ProTools does better than Logic?

I have both, and I prefer Logic over ProTools. I don't know if its maybe becuase I haven't used PT that much, but I just don't see how it would take over logic for me.

anyone have anything to say?

</rant>

2. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Member

Um... Down with digital production? :mob

3. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    Reason number 1...

Clients request ProTools. It's that simple.

I'm comfortable working using several different programs. When it comes to that call for work, the client is usually wondering if I work in ProTools. My answer can be a confident yes. I'd be happy if logic were used more but that's no the case.

I do have to say, I can edit audio far faster in PT than in Logic and I really like have left and right wave forms in stereo files. However MIDI???? still isn't close to DP, Logic, Cubase and I'm sure several others.

4. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I don't believe I'm taking the bait...slow news day I guess.

Editing audio is mo buh buh buh better in PT(HD). There I said it. Logic's cool though.

5. vladshap

vladshap Member

I appreciate all of the replies. I am not here to rip on ProTools, infact im here do otherwise. I want to see if there are good enough reasons for me to switch to ProTools.

If anyone has anything else to say, please, go ahead.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>> I want to see if there are good enough reasons for me to switch to ProTools. <<

a. Why switch if you're doing fine with whatcha got?

b. It's not like getting married. You can work in more than one application.

c. Files can easily be transported from app to app. So what's the problem?

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

As an aside, Pro Tools is of course a "most requested" app for music projects, but it isn't "most requested" for audio post projects.

In the audio post facility where I have a second room (I run Logic mostly now, but sometimes DP), there are 5 audio post rooms. All of them are equipped with large format Fairlight Dream systems, all interconnected so that moving from room to room one can simply open the networked file and work anywhere one is booked (I don't engineer audio post, I'm strictly music, so this doesn't include me). The Fairlight system runs its own proprietary software, and has a hardware interface that our 5 engineers to a man or woman say is much faster to use and edit audio with for our purposes than Pro Tools (we have PT available in one of the smaller rooms just in case). They also think it sounds better (as I said, they do have PT to compare it to).

But to give you some idea of how diverse the audio-for-video studio world is becoming, our sound design guy uses Cubase and would probably favor migrating to a Euphonix platform, that runs any software out there, including Logic, DP, Pro Tools, Nuendo, Cubase, etc. This would be my choice as well, since I do run Logic and DP.

Finally, of the major Audio Post facilities in the Detroit area, I can only think of one that runs Pro Tools as its primary system.

8. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

If I had seen this thread yesterday I would have. Now it's too late.

9. E-Rock

E-Rock Member

I've been a PT guys since way back in the Session 8 days.
    I'm a sound designer at a post house, where we have 4 PTHD rooms.
    I just switched to Logic 8 @ home, where I do music.

Here is my take:

Logic is the ****ing ****. I LOVE Logic. As a songwriting/comp tool, it kicks ass all up and down PT. I am running a Symphony system and the sound quality over my previous PTLE system is stunning.

Now, having said that, if I had miles of editing to do, or had a roomful of clients breathing down my neck, I would probably rather be sitting in front of a PTHD system.
    Maybe it's just my comfort level over the years.
    Now, I've had Logic for about 2 weeks, so that may change.
    Also, I'm talking about an HD rig. Between Logic and an LE sytem, Logic hands down.