Is it me, or do people just need spend far too much money on gear??

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by HellraiserJohnny, Oct 17, 2019.

1. HellraiserJohnny

HellraiserJohnny Member

So forgive my humble beginnings, but I was always the guy that did everything with nothing. Economics forced me to use cheapest, reliable and best sounding gear I could find in both my guitar and studio set ups.

As the years went by I was in other studios and of course saw better guitar rigs than mine but I always noticed if the high dollar set up actually did sound better, it wasn't so much better as to justify 3-4x the cost. I get it if you are a pro and need to look the part and offer all the bells and whistles, that's different.

So why then do people spend $300 when a carefully selected $25 unit would do the same thing?
    Is it necessity or ego? Personally, I get a much higher sense of self esteem when I show people what I can do with a wiz-bang low buck guitar rig or personal recording studio.

2. ckfoxtrot

ckfoxtrot Member

There isn't a strong objective need for most of what we buy or what we do.

3. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

I stopped caring about what other people spend on their gear a long time ago. I buy the best stuff I can afford, with an emphasis on value. Sometimes that means I choose the $25 unit, sometimes it's the $300 one. But as long as the value is there, there's nothing wrong with factoring in pride-of-ownership when making a purchasing decision. Ain't nobody's business but mine.

dalezjc, jens5, Mk90 and 43 others like this.
  4. slybird

slybird Member

You really don't spurge or indulge yourself once in a while on anything? I mean, I bet even a homeless person will spend more than needed once in a while for something they enjoy.

Scrapperz, Occam, indeedido and 4 others like this.
  5. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

There is always something new/better out there.. no matter what you have now!!!

6. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

I tend to just worry about my own gear and my business and let others play and purchase what they want without any concern on my part. YMMV.

jens5, Drew66, Doug B and 26 others like this.
  7. chandra

chandra Member

You probably won't get the best possible discussion on this topic, considering that TGP is an echo chamber for spending on....well, gear.

8. s2y

s2y Member

We're all just renting.

jens5, Scrapperz, blackba and 44 others like this.
  9. pepedede

pepedede Member

Personally my gear journey has been mostly about just experimenting. I read reviews, watch clips, try out in stores as and when I can. But honestly most of my keepers have been happy accidents along the way, just coming up often used locally at the right time and price. That's all part of the fun, excellent quality gear is everywhere now and used gear is always growing.

10. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

My experience, at the local level, the steadily working guys have relatively modest setups. Typically the guitar is the nicest component, yet rarely anything boutique, and the pedals and amps are just regular off the shelf stuff you can buy most anywhere. A handful of Boss pedals, a smallish mass-produced combo, and an assload of talent.

The same is generally true for the originals acts in the clubs. I'll see a few more guys with more expansive pedalboards with something boutique pedals, but typically musicians don't have a lot of money, and so again, the gear is tempered by budget and practicality--what can I fit into the trunk of a small car and move easily on and off stage. The amps are rarely anything special--typically modern PCB mass produced design, maybe some older Music Man or Fender combos from the 70's. P&W acts seem a bit of an exception, probably because they play in the same (secure) place each week and they have better jobs than the delivery driver/aspiring rock musician.

When I meet someone who's gear-obsessive, it's very rare that they're an active performer. This isn't a knock, it's just a different aspect of the hobby of music--enjoying the gear aspect and mostly playing at home with tracks and such.

That said, I think the opportunity to replace a $300 component with a $25 component is pretty rare, unless the former is full list new, and the latter is at a garage sale run by a disgruntled spouse.

11. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

I would say people who spend money they can’t afford spend too much on gear. All my stuff last couple of years has paid for itself. When it comes to a price difference of $25 vs $300.... I’d be much more careful in selecting a higher price item than a lower price item.

12. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

Need? Nahhh... want!

pomfret and pepedede like this.
  13. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

The golden rule of gear, play what you want to play and isn't going to get you into debt, and don't judge others if they choose differently to you.

I think it's natural for people to spend their leisure money on whatever brings them happiness. I'm not well off or a high earner, but I love guitars and I don't mind spending a big part of my disposable income on them. Do I need them? Course not, I could quite easily make the music I make with a modest few pieces of gear. But if owning and playing high end gear brings me a lot of pleasure and I don't mind a few sacrifices elsewhere then that's the route I go down.

14. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I provide sound. I often bring a couple guitar stands for the band. One time I forgot I bought a couple cheapie 3 guitar stands from the local guitar store. Maybe $30 each. Good enough for the gig. They are pretty lightweight.

I’ve now replaced them with 2 Hercules guitar stands, a 2 guitar and a 3 guitar. They are built better but more importantly they take down into a much smaller and more manageable unit. $120 each but worth it, and I can claim them at tax time.

Now ask me why I have 40 guitars. ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    pepedede and Guitarheel62 like this.
  15. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

I am blessed to have a realatively large collection of marshall amps & Cabinets, and a really great collection of guitars. All for less than the price of one relatively new corvette. And since I buy almost everything used, the music gear depreciates a hell of a lot less than a depreciating car. Relatively speaking, guitars and gear are a TON cheaper than a car hobby, lol.

toomanyamps, Gig Young, Kreso and 7 others like this.
  16. lhallam

lhallam Member

In answer to one of your questions. A few years ago, I searched for 3 months in all the local music stores for a strat in a variety of price ranges. None met my needs. Then I went to a boutique dealer and immediately found a used handmade ax that I was looking for. BTW - I tried all the guitars first before asking the price.

Yes, there are great NOS instruments out there but one has to take the time to find it. You wouldn't believe the variety in quality I went through at the music stores. The boutique guys tend to make them right from the get go.

One of the best strats I ever played was in the 80's when the Japanese first starting making them for Fender. It cost $110.00, long story but wish I'd kept it. It was as good if better than the handmade one I ended up with.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  17. HellraiserJohnny

HellraiserJohnny Member

Don't get me wrong, my guitar rig today is a 1000 watt bi-amp wet\dry rig with 4-1960B JCM 800 and 900 cabs. I look at guys with similar rigs running 2-3 TC2290 processors and a pair of Eventide H3000 harmonizers and a Bradshaw controller. Really, when is your next North American Tour? Yes I spent more than I should have on Gibsons and a custom Jackson but I was a working musician at the time and yes there is something to be said about " It's SHOW Biz"

wstsidela and pepedede like this.
  18. muzishun

muzishun Member

Like when someone asks for gear recommendations, and states not only their top price point, but also their low.

I often have a suggestion until I see it doesn't cost enough.

19. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

All you really need is a NOS rectifier tube, a low E string and a Klon. Then the magic happens.

Trevordog, EarleG, mangoman and 6 others like this.
  20. GA20T

GA20T Member

Haha. Yep.

Drew66 and muzishun like this.