Is it me, or has the definition of a superstrat changed?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by nosajwp, Oct 17, 2008.

1. nosajwp

nosajwp Member

Whenever I used to think of a superstrat, I always thought of guitars with a pointed headstock, a Floyd Rose trem, a bridge humbucker, and a downsized Strat-shaped body covered in some kind of crazy paint color. For a while, it seemed like no one would touch them anymore, only searching out vintage Fenders and Les Pauls.

Now, it seems like the definition has evolved to include just about anything Strat shaped, but with upgraded woods (sometimes lots of figuring), high end pickups, etc.

Has anyone else noticed this change in definition? Are superstrats still popular with players out there?

2. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

To me it means a humbucker and some kind of locking trem...cosmetics can push it one way or the other...but generally it's those two mods that do it for me...perhaps bigger frets and a flatter board- though I like those changes on my AVRI 57 and 62 strats with three singles and traditional trems.

Suhr, Anderson, Tyler, Jackson and Charvel all do it I guess...even fender right?

3. PFCG

PFCG Member

i always thought a super strat was a strat that isnt the regular 3 single coil, non vintage style trem, and maybe not the ader or ash body without a top.

I just ordered my suhr and its superish in nature with the standard body, the 2 point trem, locking tuners, bridge humbucker, and special switching with a pushbutton series parallel switch, 1 tone, 1 volume, 5way, compound radius, stainless steel frets.

Thats just customized in my opinion, but its just a strat, ill have a 2nd pickgaurd with the SSS configuration going.

Anything with a different neck wood than maple and rosewood, and a different body wood, like basswood, mahogany, etc. and any top wood is pretty super in my opinion. As well as a HSH configuration or HH configuration, Floyd Rose or similar, and non standard original strat like features. Paintjobs are kind of seccondary, i mean Clapton plays a funky painted strat, and its still a strat, the monterrey pop strat is just a painted strat

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Yeah, that is typically my definition also. Think all those hot rod Ibanez RG series in addition to the Jackson/Charvel

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

HB, non vintage trem, 24 frets.

6. Frankee

Frankee Wartime Consigliere

I looked up "superstrat" in the dictionary.....It says: "yuck". Seriously...look it up yourself. :stir

7. gregsguitars

gregsguitars Member

fine tunable locking tuners,locking nut,at least one humbucker, yea, ,

8. damo7v

damo7v Member

It's only a superstrat if it has a carry handle routed into the body. Otherwise it's just a megastrat.

9. shane88

shane88 Member

to me it means a floyd + a humbucker

10. Roodyrocker

Roodyrocker Member

To me its Jackson/Charvel for the most part and yes, I play them live all the time every chance I get :) When you go racing you might as well drive the best race car you can :D

11. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

holding and playing one right now
    ESP Horizon FR-2
    SD JB and '59, coli tap, ebony board, big frets, light weight, what's not to love ?

12. jtwang

jtwang Member

The superstrat hasn't changed, it just grew up. :)

Fwiw, I always thought of superstrats as the 4th main category of electric guitars; the other three beeing strats, teles and Gibson-ish humbucker guitars (SG, V, LP; 3xx).

13. GDking

GDking Member

To me it is any strat with a humbucker in the bridge.

14. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

A lot of the early Charvel guitars did not have locking trems or when Rose was a Kramer exclusive had Kahlers.

15. billywade

billywade Member

I think that the definition has morphed along with the available guitars. I think a hot rod Anderson qualifies. I just don't think an Anderson was very common 20 years ago. To me 24 frets is shredder not superstrat.

16. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

To me, if it's got 24 frets, it's a shredder, not a superstrat. A superstrat has to have the regular 21 or 22 frets and a humbucker in the bridge. Otherwise, anything goes.

-Austin

17. noyank11

noyank11 Supporting Member

I Agree,there were not any well known subtle strat variants when i was coming up in the late 70's;there were bad copies but the strat interpretations by Peavey,Yamaha etc were not much competition for vintage strats.With the 80's all kinds of zany guitars were released and the superstrat moniker appeared,mostly for very aggressive 'rock' guitars,some of which(The Phil Collen custom Archtop comes to mind)were exceptional instruments.I think currently 'superstrat' represent instruments that are premium 'customs' basically.Linhof,GVCG,Nash,Callaham,Suhr,CP Thornton-the list goes on & on.The same can be said for amps,pedals,custom cabs,cables,strings-all of the knowledge of 50 years of building has been made available to us :drink

18. uOpt

uOpt Member

Thin neck.
    Flat fretboard.
    Large frets.
    At least a bridge humbucker, in H, HSS or HH config.
    No a really strat shaped body with a Strat pickguard OR a locking trem.

Shredder is the same but 24 frets, even flatter fretboard and a locking trem.

19. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

20. rrhea

rrhea Member

Superstrat (for those admant that 22 frets or less is a must for that moniker):

[​IMG]

Shreddy Superstrat with 24 frets (thanks to Steve Vai):

[​IMG]

What I think of as today's modern Superstrat:

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

RR