Is it me, or is there an upper mid

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Jul 9, 2008.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

spike on Mesa Mark series amps that cant be dialed out. Kinda hard to smooth out the sound on my Mark 3 since any bass adds flubbyness and the treble seems a tad bright. So I crank the mids and reduc ethe bass to 1 and treble to about 3. But the amp still sounds alittle ice picky, wish I could smooth out the 2khz range a bit without having to use any external eq.

Its funny cause I love John Pettrucis lead tone and I had a Mark iv for awhile and tride is settings and they did not at all sound like anything on the systematic chaos CD. The tone I was hearing was bright and harsh with no body or definition.

2. gainfreak

gainfreak Member

you have to dial in the mesa mark series with the Graphic Eq. If you have a Mark III without the graphic all you are going to get is mids. I usually set my treble high with bass and mids on 2 and you can control the overall tone with the graphic EQ. I also keep the presence low.

As far as the MKIV is concerned they are picky as to what tubes you are using and there are two versions of that amp. I prefer the "A" version. With that said Some tubes sound harsh in a IV and others sound perfect. You also have to take into consideration the speakers used. I can get a petrucci lead sound with my MKIV no problem.

all the best

~R~

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Lower the prescence to 3,use the eq with a shallow "v" and mic with a SM57, Senn E906, or Royer and you will be amazed

4. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

Is it a combo or a head? What speaker or speakers are you running it with?

5. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

mine is a combo with the EV speaker and no graphic EQ, I like pushing the mids on it as the mid control is more of a warm mid but there is a upper mid spike built in

6. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Non Simul-class 100 Head running into a Port City Wave OS 2x12 with a Cannabis Rex and a Red White and Blues.

7. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

A combo with an EV is going to be brighter and have more of that upper mid spike than say the head running through the PCW OS cab with the C rex and RW&B speakers.
    The EV is a pretty bright speaker. It is front mounted in the combo cab and that probably accentuates some of the frequencies you don't like. Since you don't have a graphic eq you could try pulling the Deep switch. You will have to keep the bass control very low with the deep pulled, 1 or 2. You could also try using the pull shift on the bass control. This adds lower mids. Those are the 2 controls that will fatten the sound the most without an eq. You can then set the presence to taste.
    The tubes you're running are very important as well. 4 6L6's in most cases will sound warmer than running the 6L6/EL34 combination with the EL34's in the outside sockets. That depends on the tubes though. I'm running 4 6L6's in my amps. One of them has the old Sylannia's and the other has Winged C's. The old tubes sound best but the Winged C's aren't bad. Since these amps are fixed bias you have to make sure you get power tubes that will draw the correct amount of current for the amp to sound good. Most of the online tube sellers can help you with this. I've bought from Dougs Tubes and Euro tubes and they were able to provide the correct tubes. If you use Mesa power tubes you need to use the correct color code for your amp. For a simul-class MK III running 4 6L6's you will need a pair of color code "gray" tubes for the inside sockets and a pair of color code "red" for the outside sockects. Pre amp tubes also make a big difference. I'm currently running the Tung Sol Reissues in my amps. They are warmer sounding than most of the other tubes I've tried.
    You can also contact Mesa for additional info. Speak to Mike Bendinelli he's the resident Mark series expert.