Is it okay if my humbucker isn't perfectly aligned?

UncleStric

I bought a Suhr SSV bridge humbucker the other day. I had the stock Fender Diamondback pickup previously. I must say I absolutely love the SSV, I highly recommend it.

Anyway, I can't seem to get it to sit right. I don't know if this is a problem, but it's kind of angled in all directions. It's slightly off axis when compared to the single coils, and it's also off-axis when seen from the side, that is, the row of magnets that's closer to the bridge is always lower than the other one. And no matter what I do with it, it's always this way. The pics show the absolute best I could do. It's either this or much worse.

Also, I noticed that the strings are not aligned with the magnets. They actually are on the bass side, but the further away you go, the less aligned they get.

The previous pickup I had sat perfectly, but as you can see, it was fixed with three screws.

Is any of this a problem? The guitar seems to sound fine. :)
Thanks!

2vlqjoj.jpg

f1ldax.jpg

157g7lh.jpg

kimock

I bought a Suhr SSV bridge humbucker the other day. I had the stock Fender Diamondback pickup previously. I must say I absolutely love the SSV, I highly recommend it.

Anyway, I can't seem to get it to sit right. I don't know if this is a problem, but it's kind of angled in all directions. It's slightly off axis when compared to the single coils, and it's also off-axis when seen from the side, that is, the row of magnets that's closer to the bridge is always lower than the other one. And no matter what I do with it, it's always this way. The pics show the absolute best I could do. It's either this or much worse.

Also, I noticed that the strings are not aligned with the magnets. They actually are on the bass side, but the further away you go, the less aligned they get.

The previous pickup I had sat perfectly, but as you can see, it was fixed with three screws.

Is any of this a problem? The guitar seems to sound fine. :)
Thanks!

2vlqjoj.jpg

f1ldax.jpg

157g7lh.jpg

I can honestly say it bugs the **** out of me and it's not really a problem.
If you want to jump thru some small hoops to 100% guarantee a fix, all you need to do is bend one or both mounting screws.
As you adjust the pickup up and down it'll rock back and forth on those eccentric mounts, and if they're both a little out, you'll find a spot at whatever your fave height is where a little turn on one screw or the other will level the pickup perfectly or incline it perfectly if you prefer.

If you get enough bend in the right place for the height you like, 1/2 a turn will pull the whole pickup back toward the bass side still perfectly level.
It takes some trial and error but it's a 100% successful strategy.

Who knows? You're current non-problematic PU orientation may be the result of bent screws already. . More likely bent bracket arm or tab on the PU itself, or maybe some spring tension thing, but the out-of-whack HB orientation can always be fixed with a few tweaks to a few cheap screws.

RLD

Silver Supporting Member
What about that missing pickguard screw near the high E side of the bridge!!!!!!
That I could not take!

Also, aren't those two holes on the bass side humbucker adjustment screw holes?
Mine has two screws which allows leveling.

UncleStric

What about that missing pickguard screw near the high E side of the bridge!!!!!!
That I could not take!

Also, aren't those two holes on the bass side humbucker adjustment screw holes?
Mine has two screws which allows leveling.

I know, right! The funny part is, I only noticed there was a missing screw when I was reading the previous reply! It's probably been missing for half a day, since I was last screwing on the pickguard, but I haven't even noticed it until now.

Yes, you're right, however those holes were for the Fender Diamondback humbucker. The SSV is fixed with one screw on each side.

I can honestly say it bugs the **** out of me and it's not really a problem.
If you want to jump thru some small hoops to 100% guarantee a fix, all you need to do is bend one or both mounting screws.
As you adjust the pickup up and down it'll rock back and forth on those eccentric mounts, and if they're both a little out, you'll find a spot at whatever your fave height is where a little turn on one screw or the other will level the pickup perfectly or incline it perfectly if you prefer.

If you get enough bend in the right place for the height you like, 1/2 a turn will pull the whole pickup back toward the bass side still perfectly level.
It takes some trial and error but it's a 100% successful strategy.

Who knows? You're current non-problematic PU orientation may be the result of bent screws already. . More likely bent bracket arm or tab on the PU itself, or maybe some spring tension thing, but the out-of-whack HB orientation can always be fixed with a few tweaks to a few cheap screws.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. And my borderline OCD sure as hell isn't happy about it either. :crazy :rotflmao

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking the problems is bent bracket arms to begin with. I originally bought a zebra SSV but didn't like the way it looked (but I'm pretty sure that one was well aligned), so I traded my zebra for a friend's black one. And now I notice this. The bracket arms were probably bent on his pickup. I tried different screws and it didn't help.

Does it sound fine?

I guess it does, but I wonder if it would sound even finer if it was perfectly aligned. :idea

Mr.Strat

I guess it does, but I wonder if it would sound even finer if it was perfectly aligned. :idea
Of course it will, why do you think EVH got rid of that ridiculous strat type with the lop-sided humbucker and switched to EVH-brand guitars with the correct alignment?

jads57

Silver Supporting Member
It doesn't really matter that much technically, but as stated it can bug some people. The magnetic field will read the strings just fine!

axeplayer

I had a pickup replaced which was slightly misaligned after it was installed. I lived with it for a few years, then eventually moved and my new tech straighten it out after for me.
Some of us are OCD when it comes to our equipment.

Mc Tanza

I can't stand that either, specially if the pickup is so loose in the mounting that it is dancing all over the place. I use little cardboard pieces cut to act as shims, placed carefully between the mounting ring of the pickup and the pickup itself. they solve the problem beautifully once properly set up.

kimock

I tried different screws and it didn't help.
Just bend the screws a little in the middle.
The PU will wobble in its procession, useful and entertaining.

Everything sounds better when it's just the way you like it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom