Is it possibe to use an attinuator and a H&K redbox at the same time?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by webe123, Jan 4, 2008.

1. webe123

webe123 Member

Ok, this is what I am eventually wanting to do. I am changing my amp from a Line 6 vetta II over to a nice tube amp.I am wanting to get a Fender 65 Twin Reverb re-issue. (85 watts)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/65TwinRev

So....I am wondering the best way to get a good sound off of it without blowing myself and everyone else in church off the stage. (I play for a choir)

I was thinking of getting a Marshall PB 100 power brake so that I can get a decent sound out of the Fender Twin, yet not have to have it as loud as it would normally take for the tubes to heat up and sound good. Tube amps do not generally sound decent at lower volumes, so I thought an attinuator would be the way to go.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PB100

Now, I have a question on weather or not I could (or should) use a Hughes and Kettner Redbox on it....but I do not know if I can, because I think the attinuator has to plug in the same hole as the Hughes and Kettner Redbox.
    Or...would it be better just to mic it out with a mic like thismade for guitar amps?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/e906/

Like I said,I play in a church,but I miss the tube sound very much.My vetta II is OK, but it is not a tube amp. But the reason I want a 65 twin reverb, is because of the clearness of the amp! It is one of the cleanest amps I have ever played through! Add a Boss GT 8 effects unit to it and you can have a great setup in my opinion.

But like I said, I am not sure if I should just mic the amp...or use something like a H&K Redbox. What would be your recomendation?

By the way, our church is USED to loud music, we have drums, two keyboards,one organ and one piano. Bass guitar and a percussion section! So, as long the guitar amp it is not overpoweringly loud, everything is cool as far as volume goes. I am just wondering the best way to go through the PA?

2. digital jams

digital jams Member

Speaker out of Fender - Redbox speaker in - RB speaker out to load - RB line out to either PA, mixer, slave amp....whatever.

3. digital jams

digital jams Member

of course you could just use a THD Hot Plate and use the line out to the device you want to go as well.

I take it you need the line out right?

4. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I'm guessing he wants the speaker emulation to feed the PA.

5. digital jams

digital jams Member

Makes sense, I have the older HK RB Pro that I can turn off the emulation as I used it to send a signal to a wet amp.

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

The Powerbrake is not a good choice for a Twin, due to the impedance mismatch. The Twin is a 4-ohm amp, but the Powerbrake only has 8 and 16-ohm settings, and the impedance curve is on the high side as well, so even on 8 ohms it's still not really safe, especially if you crank the amp up.

It will be OK if you just run it moderately, and you can in fact make it completely safe by pulling two power tubes (inner or outer pair) from the Twin.

If you don't have the Powerbrake already, the Hotplate or any other 4-ohm attenuator is a better choice.

Yes, you can. Connect the amp's Main speaker output to the attenuator, then from the attenuator to the speaker.

Now connect the Red Box (speaker input) to the Extension speaker jack on the amp - you don't need to have it in line to the cab, it will work perfectly well like that, which is how I always do it, since it's slightly more reliable with fewer connections in the actual speaker path.

The Red Box output to the desk will be completely independent of your stage level, which you set with the attenuator. The soundman will like this :).

7. webe123

webe123 Member

Thanks for that john....I did not know about the ohm settings on the power brake! I will get a hotplate instead!

And I LIKE the idea you gave of having a seperate signal for the soundman and for the stage. That was one of the great things about the vetta II, you could have a seperate volume for the amp onstage as opposed to the signal out to the PA. Great idea. Thanks.