1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Is it possible my Bassman 6G6-B wants 8 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by devbro, Oct 14, 2006.

1. devbro

devbro Member

I swear it's louder with an 8 ohm cabinet than with 4. I heard some Vibrolux heads from '63 had 8 ohm output tranny's. Could my Bassman have gotten one of these by mistake? Is there a way to test for what load the output tranny is looking for? Here's the code from the output tranny.
    [​IMG]

2. devbro

devbro Member

Thanks Tele. Actually, after trying the 4 ohm load live, I think it is louder. This may of course be due to switching from a Heritage 30 and Lead 80 (8 ohms) to a pair of EV12L's (4 ohms). Those 12L's are spanky clean:dude

3. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Is it ok to run a bassman head with an 8ohm cab? WIll it damage anything if the amp is 4ohm?

4. devbro

devbro Member

I ran mine at 8 ohms for 5 gigs and it didn't hurt anything.

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

OTM is probably right but you can test the turns ratio and calculate the impedance ratio if you'd like to confirm. This basically entails pumping 120Vac into the primary of your output tranny (tubes and speaker removed) and measuring the resultant voltage on the secondary. This can be a little dangerous for those not comfortable working with high-voltages.