Is it possible to build this pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dognmoon, Mar 1, 2012.

1. dognmoon

dognmoon Supporting Member

I would like a mini-pedal similar to the two mini SHO boosts that I've got from This1smyne, but I would like it to have 2 stomp switches on there. It would essentially be a dual function pedal with the left side acting as a tap tempo for the Dual Tap Delay and the right side acting as an on/off switch for an expression pedal for the M9. The tap tempo side is easy, but is it possible to build an on/off switch for the expression pedal, and if so, what would the behavior of the M9 be if the expression pedal is off?

Here is my pedalboard layout as I'm protoyping the signal flow and you can see the little boost pedal right above the expression pedal. Can anybody chime in on that right side of the circuit?
    [​IMG]

In terms of the materials, I know that it'll need an enclosure, 3 jacks (1 from DTD, 1 from M9, one to the exp pedal), a momentary normalOff switch for the tap tempo and a latching DPDT for the right side. I won't need an LED so power is not an issue. It's just passive... although an LED for the exp pedal would be helpful.

2. es125luv

es125luv Member

i bet loop-master could make this.

3. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Three jacks and two foot switches is about all you have room for in one of those enclosures. Should be doable as long as the on/off for the expression pedal is possible.

4. dwolfggc

dwolfggc Member

Why not just make the switch disconnect the expression pedal from the m9? Would that work?

5. chrisrnps

chrisrnps Member

If you use a double- or triple-pole double-throw foot switch you should be able to simulate any pedal position you want in the 'pedal off' position, depending on whether you wire the 'pedal off' side of the switch to be 'open', 'closed', or wire a resistor inline to simulate an 'in between' position.

Or you could wire it so in one position, it routes to the pedal, in the other it routes to an onboard pot that you set to any position. Could be cool to do some Nels Cline-like 'turning the whammy pedal on and off really fast' tricks with.

6. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

That second idea may be the only thing that works. Once you connect anything to one of the two expression pedal jacks on the M9, it very likely has circuitry that senses something is connected and directs the programmed parameter to look for the expression pedal setting. If you run it through a switch that disconnects the expression pedal from the circuit, the M9 won't know since the jack will still be plugged in. You'll have to experiment with this. Get a couple alligator clip wires, and start playing around with connecting and disconnecting to simulate a swtich.

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I think Kevin and Chris have the right idea. If there's something plugged into the expression jack, it will have an influence on the programmed parameters. Taking the EP out of the circuit with a switch will look to the M9 like the pedal is fully heel down rather than gone. So, having a pot in there and switching between the EP and a preset that simulates whatever the default setting would be about right. The switch would be a DPDT (or TPDT if you want an LED).

8. kevinhifi

kevinhifi Member

Yeah, you could wire a trimmer inside the little pedal for this other setting.

9. GMGM

GMGM Member

Posting so I can watch how this turns out...

I had a similar idea for my M13. I love the expression pedal, but for some effects it's difficult to dial it in fast enough by foot. I wanted to build some sort of "preset" box with maybe 4 switches.

One switch to use the expression pedal, the next three would route to trim pots that could be used as 'set it and forget it' presets.

I haven't tinkered with the idea much, since the M series doesn't seem to respond well to plugging/unplugging the expression pedal. I assume teh expression pedal jack in the M13 has a lift/switch though, and if you can trick that inside the box it should work.

Please keep us posted.

10. ARC Effects

ARC Effects Member

The trimpot idea seems like your best bet. Other than that the rest of it's pretty easy to assemble.