Is it possible to change the magnet stagger on single coils?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Guppie, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Guppie

Guppie Member

"Rational stagger". That is a good one! Hope you don't mind if I use that one myself some times?
    I'm looking at Dimarzio's mostly. Great vintage sounding pickups with modern sensibility. And relatively affordable. (no affiliation ;) )

2. Trinehart

Trinehart Member

I can't recall where I heard it but I think I saw a video that used a soldering iron to heat the pole piece and then gently push it down... YouTube perhaps? I am certainly no tech or expert.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i'd think that would melt the insulation of the coil wires and kill the pickup instantly :eek:

(although maybe if it's enough heat to soften any wax but not enough to melt the wire coating then maybe that would let the pole slide through with less risk...)

Trinehart likes this.
  4. 70 Mach 1

70 Mach 1 Supporting Member

I did on my middle texas special.
    Just tapped it down with a very small hammer.
    Didnt even have to remove it.
    Made a huge positive difference

5. K-Line

K-Line Vendor

Another reason I started winding my own pickups. I control every aspect and can dial in the exact sound in my head. I do not wrap my magnets and they will move to fine tune if necessary.

Bob Pollock likes this.
  6. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I'm just throwing something out there, please no blasting; is there anything one could use to coat the top of any pole pieces needing ‘reduced’?

Gevalt likes this.
  7. GA20T

GA20T Member

That's how I've done it. Not looking for hot so much as warm enough to help the wax slip and quickly reset. I would never give any advise on doing such though as I was pretty accepting I was going to destroy mine and then have to order another. But it worked like a charm. The idea of hammering or forcing anything scares me more though.

8. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

how dare you?? who do you think you are??

;)
    not reduced but i've heard of little disc magnets dropped on top to increase the strength and proximity, maybe a set of those topping off all the other poles to help balance?

i wonder if one of those little magnets forced down "wrongways" onto the polepiece so it repels and i guess glued in place would serve to reduce the strength overall?

bleh, i don't really like either idea :/

skydog likes this.