• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Is it possible to exactly color match Fender factory colors?

In this case Tropical Turquoise? I know there are a lot of Fender blues out there but that one in particular is exactly what I'm after. Inquiring minds want to know...

Stu Cats

Dupont paint code 28114 for Chevy, and bottom left for the colour you are looking for below for a Ford.

Last edited:

0018g

Dupont makes a camera that will analyze a color and match it-it works pretty well. Most paint stores should have one.

technomancer

Silver Supporting Member
Assuming the one posted above isn't accurate you could email Fender and ask them for the paint code.

GGinMP

Gold Supporting Member
Dan Strain.
Dan's so great at not just matching a Fender color, but matching what a guitar of a particular vintage would look like today. His aged metallics in particular are my favorites, including my Ocean Turquoise Metalic Danocaster.

slowerhand

Silver Supporting Member
In this case Tropical Turquoise? I know there are a lot of Fender blues out there but that one in particular is exactly what I'm after. Inquiring minds want to know...
IMO, your best bet is to mail a physical sample of the color you're after, for instance from a photo. That may seem excessive, but speaking from experience, trying to explain a color via email, even if you both think you've communicated it clearly, doesn't work too well. One issue is that the original colors weren't always consistent (Fender buying paint from different suppliers), then there's different thicknesses of clear coats (which still have a tint), and last but not least, different environmental exposure over time. By the time you're done, your idea of tropical turquoise may have been very different from what you get. Lastly, decide if you want the color to stay as it is, or age over time. Depending on this, you could go with a thicker nitro clear coat, or no clear coat at all, or a colorfast type of paint.

bloomz

That sample above doesn't look turquoise at all to me on my monitor. Light blue maybe?

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
If it is an old car color, there may be a modern formula equivalent on file. If not, find something that is the color YOU think it should be and have a custom color mixed.

K-Line

Vendor
If nitro, the scanner will not read it correctly. Too much yellow in the finish. If you are looking to touch up, good luck. If wanting that color for a whole body, DuPont can mix it for you.....if they still have the formula.

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
The problem is there are variances within any color. Tons of variables why stock colors can look different. The list of variables goes on and on. Like PAF pickups, you can match the original car color from one example but if many examples of the same car color were put together, they would most likely all be slightly different to very different. Most auto paint stores should be able to mix you the stock Fender colors, but remember they will come out like the car color was brand new in the 50's. Not the faded, yellowed and completely changed versions of many that we have come to know and love. Those would need to be matched by eye.

K-Line

Vendor
What Larry said. When I worked in my father's body shop, some colors could have 7-10 alternates...bluer to the chip or redder to the chip, etc. It makes you look at colors in a different way.

This is refinishing an entire guitar new using the exact color as a match... It's a long story that I won't go into but it's essentially repainting a guitar the exact nitro color it is now. Not touchup.

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
In that case most automotive paint stores can match it. Problem is 99% don't deal in nitro. You could do a modern basecoat and a nitro clear coat like a lot of builders/Mfg's do.

Trending Topics