Is it possible to get a solid delay for ~$100?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PitchShifter, Sep 4, 2008.

1. PitchShifter

PitchShifter Member

My mate is in the market for a solid delay pedal (no qualms about digital or true bypass). He's in the process of replacing a Boss GT-8 for some more organic sounds.

Is there anything worthwhile in the $100 or less price bracket? I think he's presently eyeing off a secondhand Boss DD-5. He's already discarded a Line 6 Echopark as it had too many knobs. He's a singer guitarist so can't afford to be tweaking too many things.

2. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

These should all be under $100 US - Pretty Dolly is about $80 Australian the 2 Danoelectros are just on $100 Australian:
    Moen Pretty Dolly - max delay time of about 500ms. Analogue/digital hybrid but sounds very analogue. Good for just fattening things up. Couldn't be easier to use. True bypass, and all metal enclosure and jacks.
    [​IMG]
    Danelectro Wasabi AD-1 - digital; 3 seconds max foward or reverse delay + tap tempo.
    [​IMG]
    Danelectro DE-1: digital; unsure of max delay time. Has a high cut control to make it sound like an old-school echo.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  3. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

people love the new Carbon copy I bet used you could get it for around 100

I have heard great reviews of the Ibanez Tone lock series Delay, the Boss DD5, and I saw a Boss DD7 in the emporium for around 130 bucks. I say if he doesnt care about TB or Digital go for any of these.

4. wideawake

wideawake Member

Guyatone MD-3 Micro delay is excellent sounding.

5. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

I like the DigiTech DigiDelay best if you want a variety of delay types and tap tempo. The Guyatone MD-3 is great for its small size and pristine sound.

6. slambango

slambango Active Member

"more organic sounds" --> translation: analog delay?

I just finished searching for a delay pedal. I found the MXR Carbon Copy to be a popular choice for what you're describing. You can get one on Ebay for $139 brand new (free shipping).

For an extra $11 you can get the CMATMODS Deeelay. Hand built, true bypass. This is the delay I selected.

I'm not sure what there is for under $100 new, but a USED MXR CC is selling for over 100 *plus* shipping on Ebay right now. That's not much of a savings, and I'd rather purchase from an authorized dealer for the extra 25 bucks or so.

I'd not recommend Boss products for someone who wants to play outside their bedroom, though I'm continually amazed to see them in many 'high end' pedal boards, so to each his own.

7. Loudnotes

Loudnotes Member

I recently purchased a Wampler Analogecho delay. I think this is a real sleeper. I was very impressed with this delay, even though it is your basic no thrills anlalog delay with TB, it will not dissappoint you. :AOK
    http://www.wamplerpedals.com/echo.htm

8. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

absolutely can find GREAT sounding delays for under 100 bucks. the ibanez de7, and the digitech are the first that come to mind as a result of my experience. also, though on the takecareofmei'mmadeofplatic side of things, the ibanez soundtank delay (forget the model number) sounded f*cking brilliant. actually, i don't know if i've ever heard a BAD ibanez delay. the digitech also smokes. . . . ALSO, if you can get a dd5 for under 100 bucks. . . that's a darn good deal. hope that helps. there are plenty of others, but i haven't played them.

9. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Get a used Boss DD3, they sound fine stock and if you want you can get it modified later on.

10. teletroy

teletroy Member

rocktron short timer is really nice for the $ - one day I'll mod mine and move the short long delay switch up front and make it a stomp switch so I can have both on the fly :)

I have a bbe two timer too - but I think that's like $149

11. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

i have one of the 'big chip' boss dd3s. it sounds very good. somehow, i didn't think of it when considering sub $100 pedals, as they really seem to hold their value (bought mine used in '93 or '94 or so for $125ish. . . yes. . . used). i do like the way it sounds and was going to have mine modded by mike or robert, but actually went with the dd20 for options instead. can't seem to let the dd3 go somehow. . . .

12. drod2045

drod2045 Member

my vote is hands down the Ibanez DE-7 (you get both analog and digital sounds via switch on top of pedal) Both sides of the pedal sound great - can be had for 50-70used - 100 new

or try a behringer delay for 30 bucks. They sound really good for the money

also, you could look for a Visual Sound H20 and get both a delay and chorus for 90-110 used

13. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

marshall echohead. right around that price. i like mine.

14. anathema

anathema Member

Echo park, Got mine for $65 used and its the tits.

15. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Digitech Digidelay... $99 new, but can easily be found for $50 used.

16. DaBlizzardofOz

DaBlizzardofOz Member

I got a used Ibanez DL10 for $60 & am very happy with it. I guess tap tempo would be nice, but it wasn't necessary for me

17. FUSER

FUSER Member

I got a used but like new Ibanez De-7 for $50 shipped....Its really really good.

Before that i had a Guyatone Md3....again very good.

I would highly recommend both.

18. asintoras

asintoras Member

+1

I bought my Delayla XL out of ebay for $140.00, and yes, it's great!

19. chi chi wah

chi chi wah Member

Got to second this choice, DD-3 is a fine delay pedal. It's my delay pedal for gigging use - compact, sounds good, cuts through a live mix and if it got stolen I wouldnt be to upset.

20. uncle psychosis

uncle psychosis Member

Danelectro DanEcho.

Built like a tank, sounds great. What more do you need? :)