is it possible to put an EQ pedal just after the reverb tank of an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Odieux Fonzie, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Odieux Fonzie

Odieux Fonzie Member

Hi everybody.
    I just bought a musicman RP100.
    I use reverb a lot. Although I like the reverb sound of the tank, i feel that the high frequencies are very wet, but the bass frequencies not so much.
    What i'd like to do is to put an EQ pedal just after (or before) the reverb tank, so i can EQ the reverb sound. Is it something possible?
    I think there will be problems with impedance, is it possible to solve this problem? How?

Thanx a lot, and sorry for my poor english (i'm french)

2. sosomething

sosomething Member

Does the Musicman RP100 have an effects loop? I'm not too familiar with those, though I do know they have a very good reputation.

3. Odieux Fonzie

Odieux Fonzie Member

yes, it has an FX loop. (two in fact!)
    One is pedal level, return before the reverb, and one is line level, return after reverb (and after master volume also)

4. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

They take the bass out of the reverb for a reason.

5. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

Put the EQ in the FX loop after the reverb and try it.

6. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

There's an easy mod on fender amps where you use a rca/to1/4" patch cable from the rear of the reverb (output?) to the Normal amp channel, then use the normal channel vol/treble/bass to tweak your reverb. (google it) Can that be done on your MM?

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

The input to the reverb tank is usually 8 ohms, WAY too low to interface with a pedal. The output, OTOH is usually much higher and would be fine plugged into a pedal with an RCA-1/4" adapter then out to the reverb return. The only problem would be matching levels, good luck with that!

8. Odieux Fonzie

Odieux Fonzie Member

They take the bass out of the reverb for a reason.
    Amphog, do you this reason? Could it not be just a matter of taste? Maybe to avoid self-oscillation? (might be interesting anyway...!)

Put the EQ in the FX loop after the reverb and try it.

DeaconBlues, thanx for the advice, but if i do that, I will also EQ my dry signal, and i want the EQ only on the reverb sound. (enough bass already, i have a dropped A tuning!)

There's an easy mod on fender amps where you use a rca/to1/4" patch cable from the rear of the reverb (output?) to the Normal amp channel, then use the normal channel vol/treble/bass to tweak your reverb. (google it) Can that be done on your MM?
    Swiveltung, yes, me too i heard about this "mod". That's why I was thinking my idea could be possible. But Musicman RP100 has only one channel... (so sad!)

The input to the reverb tank is usually 8 ohms, WAY too low to interface with a pedal. The output, OTOH is usually much higher and would be fine plugged into a pedal with an RCA-1/4" adapter then out to the reverb return. The only problem would be matching levels, good luck with that!
    DRBob1, thanks a lot for this informations!
    I think i'll just have to give it a try...
    There is a volume input and output on my MXR EQ, so maybe matching levels can work?...

Just before to try it, I just want to be sure there is no chance it can hurt the amp (or the pedal).
    Is it 100% safe?
    Thank you all again for your help! I just registered on this forum (although i read it since a long time), it's very nice to have all this answers so quickly!

9. amphog

I used to have a combo spring reverb/parametric eq.. It sounded best with the bass shelved at ~200hz.

10. logdrum

logdrum Member

I think the reverb send current is a lot that it may fry your pedal. Specially if it is tube driven. I think my friend fried his pedals this way. I would ask this at the tech section before proceeding.

I also think that spring reverbs are not good at doing bass revern. If I were you I would get a very good reverb unit like a Lexicon or TC electronics. The one on G_Major and G system have the correct controls for multi frequency reverb

11. Odieux Fonzie

Odieux Fonzie Member

I think the reverb in my Musicman RP100 is not tube driven, because preamp is SS, with 2 tubes power amp. But I will definitely ask in the tech section!

Why I want to EQ the reverb is because, it affects mainly the high frequencies, not so much mids, low mids and bass. (in fact not only bass, i should have been more precise in my first post)

I already have several reverb pedals (including real spring reverb!) but i don't want to use anything else, i really want to use the reverb of the amp, for different reasons.

12. amphog

Have you tried boosting the bass through your spring reverb pedal? You should try this before modding your amp.

13. Odieux Fonzie

Odieux Fonzie Member

Yes, I have one Carl Martin spring reverb pedal, the balance of frequences is ok with it.
    But I really want to use the reverb of my amp. (I try to have a smaller rig! spring reverb pedal is huge...!) And i like the "flavor" of the amp's reverb better. (longer springs anyway!)
    And if (if...!) it's possible to put an EQ just after the reverb tank, it's quiet a small "mod".