Is it possible to switch from magnetic to piezo with just one stomp?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluenova, Apr 28, 2016.

1. bluenova

bluenova Member

Lets say you have a dual output guitar and want to switch from heavy distortion on your electric rig immediately to a relaxing acoustic arpeggio on a separate acoustic rig. I see there's the cool Radial PZ-Select switcher for piezo and magnetic, but it's still a 2 stomp task. If somebody made something like that with an A or B switch that would be perfect. Anybody solve this conundrum?

2. bigredhaus

bigredhaus Member

You can have that custom built by any number of pedal builders. I had one years ago that was an ABY, so I could instantly switch between electric/acoustic signals or both. The piezo was sent to a LR Baggs PADI and the magnetic went through my pedalboard. It's simply a stereo in to two mono outs.

bluenova likes this.
  3. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Well many dual voice guitars have the switch on the guitar itself. So no stomping.

I have used the Boss AC-3 with pretty good success recently, but you have to run that signal to an acoustic preamp out to the PA. Stage sound can be tricky.

But the beauty of that is you can use any electric you already have. It's not quite as good as a piezo equipped guitar, but it's ballpark.

4. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Supporting Member

Another option is a stereo volume / pan pedal in pan mode.

5. Quantum Cat

Quantum Cat Member

Do you have any friends who are handy with a solder iron? This would be a real easy build with four jacks, an SPDT or DPDT footswitch, and a sturdy metal box.

6. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

The Lehle Dual SGoS will do this. It has two inputs and can switch like you want. The less expensive Little Dual will as well but that pedal pops when switching.

7. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

On my Parker, the stereo cable has 2 separate ends, one that's JUST the mags and the other is JUST the AP....and there's a 3 way switch, just mag, just AP, or both.

I would think if you don't have a switch, or a way to have two separate signals coming from your guitar, that there's no stomp out there that could do it - you'd need to switch your guitar switch first, THEN have an ABY box that can bypass your dirt?

Good luck man, hope you find what you're looking for!

8. tbader

tbader Member

This exact scenario is what makes the Variax/Helix combo seem pretty appealing to me--going from a gainy lead tone right into a mellow acoustic sound with one button press on the Helix, for example.

It seems like any box with a DPDT switch (3PDT for LEDs, I suppose), 2 in, 2 out config could get you there.

Mag to tube amp on one leg, piezo to acoustic rig on the other.

Cgkindler likes this.
  9. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

I use a custom a/b/y box that a builder on tgp built for me. Works like a champ.