Is it really a Nash?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by parkerbro, Feb 12, 2008.

1. parkerbro

parkerbro Supporting Member

I just bought a used Nash strat, not on the gear page. Sounds great, looks great but how do I know it's really a Nash. It didn't come with the info card. And it's from 2005 so it didn't come with a Nash logo gigbag. The only marks are his initials on the back of the headstock and '05. I compared the initials to other pics of Nash's and it didn't look quite the same. Maybe I'm reading too much into this. But is there a way to determine if it was really built by Bill Nash? BTW, I emailed him and his mailbox is full!

2. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Take the pickguard off and see if there are any markings. Post up some pics, we'll take a look.

3. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I hope it's not one of those copycat Fender copies![​IMG]

Tony

4. XKnight

XKnight Member

A Nash Knockoff?

5. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

A Nash trying to look like a Fender? Or a Fender trying to look like a Nash?

But seriously, I'm interested in a particular used Nash, too, and I have exactly the same question. So this thread interests me.

6. triple_vee

triple_vee Senior Member

would be very ironic if it turned out to be a fender.

7. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Or better yet, some guy who *gasp* ordered a neck and a body from Allparts, put it all together and beat it up just like Nash, thus making a clone of a Nash clone of a Fender. :worried

8. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

What Parkerbro is asking is a legitimate question. I'm a fan of Nash guitars and have bought a few over the years. It's important to me to have the "Nash card" to help legitimize the guitar. I knew eventually that there would be Nash copies. Pictures are helpful of the back AND top of the Headstock too.

Yes, it does sound funny, a Nash copy. But after you stop laughing and think about it, it makes sense. If Nash can get $1300-1500 for his guitars, why can't someone else make a partsocaster and put Nash's initials on the back??? That's a quick $600 profit. Most people can't make a partsocaster as well as Nash. And in MY opinion, the Nash guitars are worth the price.

9. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Right on Drew! +1 ;)

10. xroads

xroads Member

Does it have the Nash logo on the headstock?

11. MightyGuru

MightyGuru Member

My Nash has writing (serial #) on the top of the headstock and some doodling inside the pickup cavity. Pics?

12. seafoamer

seafoamer Member

13. dave s

dave s Member

Yes, pull the pickguard. Not certain if ALL Nash's have this, but the pickups on my T-Style were clearly marked "Nash" in thick white paint that resembled the office product "White-Out."

Also, not sure if Bill still does this, but I believe his serial numbering nomenclature is the first two letters (or initials) of the dealer the guitar went to and the number of guitars the deal has received.

The 'serial number' on mine was on the end tip of the headstock and said something like RS09 written in thick black Sharpie.

dave

14. dave s

dave s Member

Pic of a Nash Serial Number:

[​IMG]

15. parkerbro

okay, now i'm worried. no writing on the top of the headstock. does anyone know if bill ever skipped that part and just initialled the back? here are some pics.

btw, i've never pulled off a pickguard. is there anything that i can screw up?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. parkerbro

I just pulled the pickguard. They're Fender Custom shop pickups just like I was told. On each is a piece of masking tape with the followiing: 6.21 K on two of them and 6.15 K on the other. No markings by Mr. Bill.

17. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

hmmm.. just because the pickups are custom shops, does not necessarily mean it's not a Nash. He has been known to put a bunch of different pups in his guitars (including Fender custom shops.)

I have seen some older Nash guitars with writing on the back of the headstocks. The more recent ones have some notation on the tip of the stock.

Shoot Bill an email with pics of the writing. He'll be able to confirm it. you can get contact information on his site...

Good luck.

18. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

Those initials dont really look like his, but only he would know for sure I suppose. He does use CS pickups sometimes like others have said.

Also he did not start with the dealer/and guitar# until he started going exclusively through dealers (late 05/early 06 I think?). So its possible an earlier guitar wouldnt have the dealer on the end of the headstock.

Maybe a phonecall to him (since you say his email is full) and explain the situation.

19. gearitis

gearitis Gold Supporting Member

My Nash "Blackie" Strat had no writing anywhere on the headstock. I bought it directly from Bill a few years ago. I never took off the pickguard, so I don't know if he wrote anything under there.

20. MatZen

MatZen Supporting Member

We can play detective all day! My advice is go right to the source. Bill is a very approachable guy and has a great memory when it comes to his guitars. He can give you a definitive answer.