Is it reasonable to assume this guy blew up my amp?

Nickerz

So I sold an amp on Reverb I was using as my wet head. Wanted a different wet head, so I have more sounds on tap, so I put it up for a good price, sold and sent it. Yesterday I start getting a bunch of messages that the head didn't work after he tried his own tubes, bought some fuses and now it was making all sorts of crazy noises, then later a message that it just stopped working all together. With this picture. The way I'm reading this, is he bypassed the flyback protection by using the extension jack and absolutely cooked this thing. Before I sent it to him, I took a video using the preamp section. I had been using this head problem free for a year straight and suddenly in his hands it melts down in one day?

If you saw this picture would you feel any other way? He later sent an image saying "oh no the first time I used the right jack" after I pointed this out =(

Last edited:

mnemonic

I believe the main output has (use first) under it because it’s a shorting jack, so if the jack gets unplugged when the amp is on, the output transformer sees a dead short rather than open (infinite) load, which I understand is worse than a dead short. (Not that a dead short is good for the amp!)

He sent you a picture of him using it in a way that could damage it, I say that’s on him for not learning how to use it correctly.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
I believe the main output has (use first) under it because it’s a shorting jack, so if the jack gets unplugged when the amp is on, the output transformer sees a dead short rather than open (infinite) load, which I understand is worse than a dead short. (Not that a dead short is good for the amp!)

He sent you a picture of him using it in a way that could damage it, I say that’s on him for not learning how to use it correctly.
Good eye. If you look at the schematic you should be able to see where the wires go, the way he has it plugged in. Even if you don't know how to read a schematic, it's pretty obvious.

Amp_Addicted

I don't sell on Reverb, but I do sell on eBay. I would contest this return as the buyer changed the tubes and used the wrong extension speaker jack. On eBay, this would probably nullify the return depending on how you wrote your description. He sent a photo of his using the "right jack" to connect the speaker cabinet . The only problem is the left side jack would be correct.

Nickerz

That was my read too. Not only that. From what I gather, after he blew the fuses he replaced them for a second and third round =|

J M Fahey

If he admitted in writing on using it wrong, messing with amp, adjusting bias not being a Randall AWSC (Factory Authorized Tech) , changing fuses (which means he blew them first) he shot his own foot and has no way to complain.

Any of those actions would void the warranty on a fresh new amp just bought from GC or wherever, even worse on a private sale.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
That was my read too. Not only that. From what I gather, after he blew the fuses he replaced them for a second and third round =|
This guy sounds like a good candidate for a Darwin award. Just tell him to open the amp up and move some wires around to fix it. I guarantee he'll fry himself within 30 seconds and you won't have to deal with it. :Devil

griley

Yeah, the main jack is a shorting jack to protect the OT in the event of running it without a speaker connected. Running it as pictured (into a dead short) is bad but will usually blow the fuses before anything more expensive.
It sounds like this is what happened, but then this clown replaced the fuses (probably with the wrong ones), and ran it incorrectly again - until something more serious broke.
You owe him nothing.

Flatfish.

The goalposts have moved and all it's done is confuse people.
Not long ago,, you bought something unseen and it was mutually acknowledged that you did so entirely at your risk.
If the thing is damaged/DOA then tough luck.
What happens now people are confused because when faced with a return, the seller places himself in the buyers shoes thinking ' what if I was him?'
A guilt loop is created lol.
Don't think anything of it, tell the guy tough luck, his problem, problem over.
People are terrified of not having guarantees for everything, if you ask me buying something like an amp online sight unseen means expect the worst.
I've been on both sides, I've received amps in the mail that were exactly what the seller said they were ( and the whole time expected junk to arrive) and I've dealt with clowns like the buyer in this example.
The key to it is expect the worst, and if someone wants you to post something, you have to decide right at that point if you're a villain or a decent person.
If you are a buyer who is asking someone to post something? - you'd want to really, really want whatever it is, and expect the worst because the worst happens sometimes.

glpg80

It’s not your problem - screen shot all that was said by the buyer to use against him for the claim he will inevitably start.

This is why I don’t bother with reverb anymore. I’m not a business and all sales are final. Reverb’s policies are just too far divorced from what originally attracted me to the platform.

Nickerz

Guess I'm not going to put my Splawn on Reverb today like I planned after all.
Yeah I'll follow up in the next couple days on how this goes. There's more in the messages I'm going to wait to share until he clarifies. But I think this is about as clear as a case I can present to Reverb. So we'll see what that means over the next day or so.

Goldie Glocks

Yeah I'll follow up in the next couple days on how this goes. There's more in the messages I'm going to wait to share until he clarifies. But I think this is about as clear as a case I can present to Reverb. So we'll see what that means over the next day or so.
As far as I'm concerned you should be in the clear. You have a picture of it plugged in wrong and he's clearly been tinkering with it since he has the multimeter out. Seems to me like he has incriminated himself.