Is it reasonable to assume this guy blew up my amp?

amigo30

iu

MrTAteMyBalls

Even if you shipped one tube the day after. This is not your problem.

That doesn't mean he can just put in whatever tube, run whatever cab at whatever ohms setting, plugged into whatever output jack he chooses.

He blew it up. If it's because he isn't patient enough to wait one more day that is also his problem, but I am thinking he would have blown up the amp even if he has all 4 tubes.

I forgot to include the entire power tube set in an amp I shipped once. Put it in a different package and shipped it the next day. It happens. A little patience can solve many problems.

Neil.Fish

I was just wondering this the other day. I get new amps all the time. Always with the tubes installed.

Any amp that receives a shock hard enough to dislodge a tube could very likely have other damage that's not tube related. And probably wasn't packed great to begin with. I think an amp provides more protection to the tubes when they're installed than any kind of padded shipping envelope could.

I think this is one of those modern day internet trends that people do just because they see everybody else do it

Absolutely man, what do these people do when they go out on a tour? Remove all of the valves (sorry, I’m English!) at the end of every show before the amp goes into the back of the van?!

_Rumy

You should have mentioned it in your story. It reads odd that you suddenly include it. I suggested editing your post to clarify.
You added quite a bit to that post after I quoted the original :cool:
If amp companies were constantly handling warranty claims over broken tubes, they’d be removing them too. Fact is, they don’t. I might be on the smaller side of the business, but one tube out of nearly a thousand (6 per amp on average) in the last few years is a pretty good track record. I’d be more worried about a customer breaking off a key during install.
Have a great day. You are stuck on a b&w argument filled with anecdotes and guesses. By all means, go ahead. I try to minimize risk. Reverb’s amp shipping guide says remove the tubes and pack them well. Hence, I follow their advice when using their site. Reverb Shipping an Amp

_Rumy

Absolutely man, what do these people do when they go out on a tour? Remove all of the valves (sorry, I’m English!) at the end of every show before the amp goes into the back of the van?!
Well, nice to see ya, to see ya nice. Does the gentleman from the opposition party really hold there is parity between when the band or its techs are handling gear and how ups or another shipper does so? Enough faffing about, mate.

J M Fahey

For guy to guy individual Sales? Maybe.
Although Fender - Marshall - VOX - Ampeg ............. 1000 follow ship amps by he Millions, all over the World, since forever , with tubes plugged in their sockets.

And no Touring Band or Artist I know pulls them either.

Maybe they know something ;)

Plus constant pulling and resetting WILL cause 1000 more possibilities of damage,

J M Fahey

There are two ways... one that most if not all manufacturers follow, and another that reverb/internet used sellers tend to prefer. I’m just curious why that is.
That one is easy to answer:

* Manufacturers are EXPERIENCED and do it all the time, by the thousands, since forever.

* single/random/irregular sellers have NO EXPERIENCE, and read Forums for advice, where other inexperienced users offer it by the truckload.
Talk is cheap.

Now guess who has the best Statistics and widest database.

HeavyCream

Silver Supporting Member
A speaker load has to be plugged into the Main jack. That’s why it clearly says “Use First”. Plugging into the extension Jack only, means the amp is seeing his 8ohm load in parallel with a direct short. Better than no load, but definitely no bueno. That’s awesome for you that he sent you those pics. IMO, you are completely off the hook.

No clue how Reverb will rule. Curious to find out though.

Last edited:

_Rumy

I guarantee that 100x more amps ship with tubes in sockets every day than ship with tubes packed separate. If the damage rate were that much higher with amps that ship with tubes installed, we'd hear about it.

I've shipped/received a few dozen tube amps over the years; a small sample size, but not tiny. The only one that ever had a damaged tube was one that had the tubes packed separate.

Best practice my ass.
Well, Reverb says do it, your ass.

_Rumy

Noob attempts to school amp manufacturers on TGP. It’s not going well. Welcome! :beer
Been selling amps, many second hand for decades, sir. No manufacturers are sounding off here, sir. I am simply restating what Reverb calls best practice. And your high-minded analysis failed to include manufacturers almost universally do not extend warranty to tubes. But get your jollies anyhow. Here is from a noob to a boob, cheers.

Last edited:

_Rumy

I'd like to see the figures on that.
That one is easy to answer:

* Manufacturers are EXPERIENCED and do it all the time, by the thousands, since forever.

* single/random/irregular sellers have NO EXPERIENCE, and read Forums for advice, where other inexperienced users offer it by the truckload.
Talk is cheap.

Now guess who has the best Statistics and widest database.
And manufactures do not extend warranty to tubes.

Tbone135

I remember selling an amp to a guy on this forum years ago and him saying it was broken when he got it. I gave him a partial refund (his choice) and after that he admitted he put bad tubes in it and blew it up. And then he talked bad about me on this forum for years. Ah, good times.

_Rumy

For guy to guy individual Sales? Maybe.
Although Fender - Marshall - VOX - Ampeg ............. 1000 follow ship amps by he Millions, all over the World, since forever , with tubes plugged in their sockets.

And no Touring Band or Artist I know pulls them either.

Maybe they know something ;)

Plus constant pulling and resetting WILL cause 1000 more possibilities of damage,
Because touring bands with amps in road cases are handling their gear the same way UPS and other shippers do: always treating that cardboard box with love and care.

middy

Been selling amps, many second hand for decades, sir. No manufacturers are sounding off here, sir. I am simply restating what Reverb calls best practice. And your high-minded analysis failed to include manufacturers almost universally do not extend warranty to tubes. But get your jollies anyhow. Here is from a noob to a boob, cheers.
JPH118 is a manufacturer. You’re a clown. Bye.

Top Bottom