is it safe to unplug the speaker cable while the head is on standby?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kinct, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Kinct

Kinct Member

I'm told that it's better to plug the cabinet before turning on the head, so I wonder if I should really turn off the amp to unplug the speaker cable or it doesn't matter in standby mode? since I want to compare few different cabs, it's better if I can change the cab while I still remember the sound.

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

3. sportoflife

sportoflife Member

Defiantly, you always need resistance for the power transformer or you will risk damaging components. Its kinda like revving your engine past the redline you always risk some damage.

4. pula58

pula58 Silver Supporting Member

in some old silvertone and Danelectro amps(and probably other brands as well) the standby switch merely shorts the drive to the grids of the output tubes and does not actually power-down the output stage of the amplifier. So, in that type of amp it would probably be wise to fully power down the amp and NOT just put it in standby when switching speakers.

For most amps putting it in standby is fine, but you need to make sure you understand what the particular amps stanby switch is doing ...because...Not all standby circuits are the same. Although there are common practices (for sure), there is no universal standby function.

5. scriptphase

scriptphase Member

Thanks for the info! Good to know, even if those are brands I probably won't run into (I'm a Marshall-style amp guy).

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Personally, I wouldn't turn on an amp without having a speaker, or dummy load, plugged into it; just not worth the risk to me. I would think you could get an amp switcher or ABY box for that purpose.

7. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Only a really badly designed tube amp needs a load attached in standby mode. You'll be fine.

8. Jove

Jove Member

Yeah, but it seems like lots of people are paranoid about it. When the amp's on Standby it's safe to unplug your speaker cable. I do this every day in the studio switching between heads/cabs.

J

9. Kinct

Kinct Member

Ok, thanks you guys! I'll do it on standby.