Is it that difficult to have audio of your playing?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Glowing Tubes, May 11, 2015.

1. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Ive had a CL ad out for a while. Ive stated in the ad, please include a link or have audio/video of your playing available. Is this too much to ask?
    In this day and age, hiw can you NOT have something recorded? Even if its just with a phone. Im just trying to save the headache actually meeting and finding out people are not compatible.

I still get responses from people who dont have anything recorded. Its a red flag to me.

2. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Most typical musicians are inept idiots with social, comprehension and substance abuse issues.

3. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

In my experience, you're most likely to get a recording from somebody with all these issues.

I'd want to meet somebody first, then check out their chops.

4. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

The current band I play with had a ton of videos on youtube. Well, we replaced the singer a few months ago and the bandleader deleted all the videos. I have a few saved. I've been thinking of creating my own youtube page and putting them up a long with a few videos of previous bands I have played with.

5. gtrdave

gtrdave Member

My rule: no demo, no interest.

6. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

:huh Speak for yourself.

7. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

Its a two way street. Have you provided links to your past work?

I know what you mean though...if you don't have a recording something is not professional on your end. IMO you are looking in the wrong place. CL ain't where the pros shop.

8. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

If a guitarist isn't on the ball enough to provide clips of his playing, chances are excellent that he's not ready for prime time.

9. rsm

rsm Member

I try to meet first or at least have a phone call before investing any more time. If these go well, then next step is to pick a few songs and then jam together. If that works, then onward and upward...

10. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

I just figured out the Cab Clone interface on my Mark V25, that and garage band, and audio is easy. Do the GoPro for video, and sync it up on the Mac. Easy peasey. But many people just can't be bothered.

11. sanrico

sanrico Member

Too simple to be true, I'm afraid. My last recording is flamenco. I wouldn't submit that to a rock band. They wouldn't even start to understand it and I would probably get dropped from an audition.

My last rock recording was so long ago, it's super dated.

12. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I am.

:red

13. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

See the underlined in my post. It's so easy to record guitar nowadays. If you don't have a recent recording of your playing, very few serious, successful bands will take you seriously.

14. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely, I did post music in my ad. It also lets people know where I'm coming from musically (even though I play a wider spectrum than what I listed)

15. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I definitely ask for audio/video. And since my first band I have made it a point to make video recordings of gigs. In fact, I now have several hours of myself playing that I use to analyze my chops. I have also quit the last two bands I was in largely because the leaders were so inept when it came to getting video recordings done, and I can't tolerate that kind of incompetence.

There is no worse feeling for me than knowing my band just played one of our best gigs yet - and no one recorded it.

But yeah, these days a person can just start the movie app on their smartphone and record themselves playing, and upload it to YouTube - there really is no excuse anymore.

16. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

I responded to a CL add last month. The add was from an acoustic lead guitar and vocalist looking for a backing band (rhythm guitar, bass and drums) and asked for links to facebook, audio and video samples and places played. The add was clear that responses without these would be ignored. I provided written resume of our experience and interest in starting a new project along the lines of the band they wanted to form as well as a link to our band's facebook which has several live videos, our produced youtube video and all the chronological announcements of venues we have played. After a couple of days I emailed a follow up. Days later got a short "we are sill reviewing responses." A week later I emailed again and as before days pass until a response "you did not reply with any of the items we required." As I said before, you can't blame CL, they have no control over the folks that post there.

17. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

so wait, you want my music for free??

18. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more....no video (audio at a minimum) then move along. I've found that nearly everyone that says they don't have this....the conversation has always followed with something like "Yeah, my amp stopped working about 6 months ago...but I'll get something if we start gigging" to "Do any of your band members live near me....I don't have a car".

19. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

Yup, the guy clearly isn't ready to bang out three chord songs at the local bar for 70 bucks.

:rimshot