Is it the nicer weather or what? Crazy drivers!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pedalbored, Apr 8, 2015.

1. pedalbored

pedalbored Member

Maybe it's the change from sub-zero temps we had here in the midwest for so long to the change of having 60's and 70 degree temps lately, but I've noticed the crazy drivers coming out of the woodwork. I drive a lot in my day job delivering auto parts, and I've never had so many other drivers cutting me off, tryin to change into my lane when theres no spot for them, speeding, running stopsigns and red lights, and general bad driving. Talk about defensive driving! I just slow down and give them all the room they need and try and hold my temper. How is it in your area? Or is it just the crazy Iowa drivers?

2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

What I have seen is, with the price of gasoline down and for this many months, people are running really really hard and fast on many of the Interstates and limited and semi-limited access roads. Gas mileage doesn't mean as much because:

1) Saved money easily offsets the lost economy of going 85 not 70; and

2) People in the USA feel now that we're #1 in production, and it is our oil and not the oil of some shifty potential adversary we are using now, then let it be used - go for broke.

3. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i just shake my fist and yell "i'd never buy a guitar from you!"

4. Hwoltage

Hwoltage Member

I know that eventually, EVENTUALLY someone is either going to hit me directly, or will have the misfortune of causing an accident in my presence that is due to them either obviously texting, or obviously talking on the phone. It's at that point I will exit my vehicle, walk up, grab their phone, and spike it right into the ******* pavement. I don't give half a rats ass what the cops charge me with, it's going to be EPIC. And something I have wanted to do my entire cell phone using life. Anyhow, bit of a tangent. Carry on. The struggle is real!

5. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Not down here. I'm pretty sure the price of gas has little to do with the sluggishness and seemingly innate need to block the road.

Regardless of fuel prices, they still drive 10-20 under the limit, in all lanes, for no reason.

Ironically, their slow driving causes me to burn more fuel, as I am required to make more full throttle passes on the 2 lanes. Between less stop and go, and less passing, my Crown Vic gets 2 mpg better (on average) on my drive home late at night than I do on the same roads during the drive up in the daytime.

6. Doodad

Doodad Member

There is a great Russian dashcam video with that scenario.

7. pj29

pj29 Silver Supporting Member

I drive 43 miles each way for work and yesterday had a typical NJ experience.

I am in middle lane with SUV in left lane even with me and sedan in right lane also even. All (unfortunately) traveling about the same speed. The SUV to the left of me drifts about a whole tire width into my lane at which point I hit to horn to alert him that I am there. He jerks back into left lane, speeds up and moves into middle lane. The left lane opens up a little so I move over and pass a couple people including the aforementioned SUV. As I pass the SUV he gives me the finger and then tucks in behind me and proceeds to tailgate me for a couple miles. Why? Who knows! Maybe because I prevented him from hitting me, because I had the gall to honk my horn at him, maybe he is embarrassed and that is his only way of dealing with it. I don't get it, but these things happen on occasion.

It baffles me.

8. davess23

davess23 Member

I drive about 37-40 miles each way to work (there are 2 alternative roads I can take for the final leg of my journey home) and it's gotten scarier than hell out there. A lot of those miles are on Route 128, which is arguably the worst highway in MA for insane driving, gridlock traffic jams and road rage morons. I'm looking for work closer to home because after years of enduring this nightmare commute the increasing volume of traffic and the growing insane aggression are really getting to me. Although I'm not at all a religious person, I say a silent prayer of thanks every night when I finally make it home without an accident or an encounter with an enraged shithead.

9. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

:spit

I think its the weather. I see the same thing here. After having to drive 50 mph for the last 4 months, folks are puttin' the hammer down now that the roads are dry.

10. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I haven't driven in your area since the price went down, but I'm not surprised. The Geriatrification of your area is still going full blast.

But I did drive across on I-10, down part of I-75 and around the Daytona area, before heading back up along the Atlantic then cutting through back roads through to Lake City, and at least on those parts of the Interstates, I thought the vehicles were going as fast as I can remember seeing them.

And that was over New Years and the trend IMO was just getting started then. I am thinking this is about young people, salaried people who have been wanting to hang it out (like we once did in the 60s and 70s) and for many this is their first real taste of driving real fast.