Is it weird if i get a bit of octave up out of my big-box fulltone '69?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vanguard, Mar 2, 2012.

1. vanguard

vanguard Member

just in the jimi-region (around fret 12 on the high strings). it sounds really good, like a great fuzz-face, but there are some upper-harmonics in that area that really sound like a smidge of octave. they sound good, just not something i've noticed in other FF's.

i've gotta decide whether to return it ASAP, problem is i don't want to if it's supposed to sound like this - i really like it overall.

owners of '69's: do you notice this phenomenon when playing, particularly on the neck pup with the guitar volume rolled back a touch? thanks!

2. JohnRegular

JohnRegular Member

A lot of fuzzes give nice overtones. I wouldn't worry, enjoy it!

3. vanguard

vanguard Member

thanks.

but it seems if it is, in fact, an octave happening, that would be indicative of a badly-biased (or some other issue) pedal. i paid for a fully-working one, so that's what i want to make sure i have.

4. Skreddy

Skreddy Member

It means you have an extra good one. Badly biased doesn't give you octave, it gives you gating and sputteriness.

5. vanguard

vanguard Member

so THE skreddy wouldn't worry about it? (seriously, that's not sarcastic)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  6. awallace

awallace Member

I've got an old '69 pedal that has a pretty noticeable octave. It disappears in a band situation tho. If it sounds good, don't worry about it...

7. vanguard

vanguard Member

sounds like i'm good. thanks guys!

8. scolfax

scolfax Member

My Joe Bonomassa Fuzz Face does this too - I love it! Seems to occur after it's been played through a bit first. I suspect something needs to warm up.