Is it worth buying older Reverb pedals ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mikey69, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

There's a great pedal wot can be got cheap and it's really very good....the Verbzilla, rahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh plays and sounds monster

2. Riffa

Riffa Member

Interested in info on the Arion. Anyone’s ever tried it? Is it a room-type ‘verb?

3. joshofsorts

joshofsorts Supporting Member

The emulations of Spring and Plate have gotten better in my opinion in recent years. Older pedals' Plate sounds are generally based off rack unit plate sounds, but the newer breed like Source Audio (or Talisman) are based on the sound of physical plates. But if the accuracy of the modeling physical or mechanical reverbs is not as important to you, the rest IMO is just personal preference as most reverbs are only loosely reality-based to begin with. A Boss RV-2 (as someone mentioned previously) is still an all time favorite of mine, even if it is one of the very first. Different manufacturers are going to have different algorithms with different sounds; try some different ones out if you can and see what flavor you like, or just get one of the popular choices in your price range and it'll probably fit the bill just fine.

4. axehandler

axehandler Supporting Member

In a world where reverb itself (I'm talking physical spring & plate devices) began as a simulation of real-world echoes, I find it fascinating that we're now arguing the simulation quality of that simulation(?). I guess this is where we are now.

5. motokev

motokev Member

Years ago I liked a lot of Reverb
    Now I use very little
    It's difficult finding a reverb pedal I like (new or old)

6. ben777

ben777 Member

I didn't think I actually cared about the accuracy and subtlety of newer stuff when it comes to Spring and Plate.

It actually took me months of playing the Tre-Verb and going back and forth to the Polara to come around to deciding I liked the Tre-Verb better than the Polara.

I've never owned an amp with a real Spring reverb.. if you have had a great real Spring reverb you probably pick up on this stuff a lot faster.

There is nothing wrong with any of the "unrealistic" reverb algorithms either though.

The same thing happened with my Boss TR-2 vs the Tremolo models in the Tre-Verb. I've never owned a real Tube Bias/Opto/Harmonic Trem amp. So I wasn't even aware of the subtleties.. it's taking forever to actually get it but once you start getting what's going on it's harder to go back.

7. mooncobra

mooncobra Supporting Member

hardwire rv-7 is great

fretless likes this.
  8. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

Roomate tends to fly under the radar here, not sure why because it sounds amazing, especially V1

9. Louiddur

Louiddur Member

I had the same thoughts when I was looking for an ambiant "cave-like" reverb last summer. Turned out I bought a RV-3 (which is from what, 1995?) and I'm really happy with it.

Things are going fast in the pedal world. Six years IS a lot when talking about digital stuff. There must be about 100 more hitech options than the Polara or the RV-3 on the market right now. But let's not forget that really great music were created with those tools.

If the sounds fits for you and the price is right, go for it!

monty and ThinPaperWings like this.
  10. Leader Desslok

Leader Desslok Member

The Polara is amazing. Unless you're going for extreme ambient sounds, there's more decay in that thing than you could use.

fretless likes this.
  11. dansworld

dansworld Member

This. More power usually means higher fidelity. Let's face it, by today's standards those old digital reverbs sound pretty lame. You don't need to use all of those gimmicky shimmers and stuff, but today's plate and room emulations are astounding!

Plus, you get a lot more presets and midi control. Win-win-win in my opinion.

12. Type O Hero

Type O Hero Member

I can attest to the hype and reviews behind the Strymon Big Sky being legit. It probably does more than I would ever need but it's nice to have all of the patches to play with and the ability to tweak everything. And it just sounds so damn good. Pricey, yeah, but you get what you pay for. I'd assume the smaller Blue Sky would also sound great but honestly for $300 I'd be looking at some competitor pedals. It's just that, to me, paying for the more expensive Big Sky is worth that extra cost it just because of how much you can tweak everything as well as setting up all kinds of saved presets.

At the same time, whatever sounds good to you is what sounds good to you. If you're looking for a super specific reverb sound and the Big Sky couldn't pull it off, then you might rather have a much less expensive pedal that can nail that specfic sound you're looking for over the more pricey once that can do all kinds of stuff but not the one thing you're looking for. There's so many good options out there nowadays.

One more nice thing about the Big Sky and all of the different sounds it can do: it can add value to your other pedals/effects. For example, I recently bought a SY-1 Synth pedal (tons of fun) and while it's super cool on its own, with the Big Sky it turns it into a different beast... Like, the possible number of sounds grows exponentially... I've also got the Timeline as well and it does the same thing as far as increasing total possible sounds... The only pedals I own are the Strymon Big Sky and Timeline, a wah pedal, a Big Muff Ram's Head, and the Boss SY-1, and just with those I literally have hundreds upon hundreds of combinations of possible sounds to play with. And that's not even counting the ability to tweak all of the prameters of each "sound."

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  13. MarkV

MarkV Member

Rocking a RV-5 here which kicked a Flint from my board twice already

GuitarTo likes this.
  14. John K.

John K. Supporting Member

Digital signal processing has advanced in leaps over the past few years, and the capacity/capability of the chips used today far surpass the ones used in past models.
    Now does that translate directly sound-wise? Not necessarily. A great sounding unit still sounds great. Also most of these units are being run into the front of tube amps or digital simulations of such. Super intricate nuances in reverb tone are gonna get lost. Now in a studio situation? Yeah, you'll probably hear differences in quality. But will anyone else?
    :dunno

The Polara still sounds fantastic.

fretless and Louiddur like this.
  15. gmann

gmann Member

I have an RV-2 that I should get out and use again. It's been yrs but I remember really liking it. You can't use a battery with it and at the time that was inconvenient for me, wouldn't be a problem now.

16. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Do an amazon search for reverb pedals and then sort low to high on the filter. You'll likely find them $25-$35 range.
    See what Behringer has.
    Danelectro pedals too.

17. gearhart

gearhart Member

It's a great pedal. Built like a tank. Great Lexicon sounds from vintage to spacey. True stereo in a compact size…love mine.

pedalphile likes this.
  18. Lavely

Lavely Silver Supporting Member

Don't shortcut a Lexicon rack unit...maybe the PCM81...not saying more recent stuff isn't wonderful, but that one is tried & true, TONS of flexibility, sounds AMAZING

19. triviani

triviani Silver Supporting Member

I'm still a big fan of the Rv-2 and Rv-3. DSP may have a lot of power, but there are a lot of DSP reverbs that sound just like novelties, many of them end up sounding pretty similar.

Love it as well. It's a few years old already and it's based on an "obsolete" reverb, but it sounds phenomenal.

rubbersoul likes this.
  20. Tootone

Tootone Member

The Polara is a bread and butter workhorse reverb, but the Reverbs are "Lexicon TM" and sound fantastic.

Also, unlike Delay, Reverbs are diffused... so there is less old vs newer digital impact.

The Line6 VerbZilla still sounds good.

fretless likes this.