Is it worth buying the zoom g3 just for amp simulation??

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by sahertian, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sahertian

sahertian Member

I already own several boutique pedals and a tube amp, but the amp simulation intrigues me..

Is it worth to buy it mainly for the different amp simulations?

2. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

IMO, for under $200, the amp sims can't be beat in the g3.

3. HolyMuffDiver

HolyMuffDiver Member

I've been pretty impressed with mine. I didn't like it at first, but after tweaking for a little while, I'm finding the amp sims to be pretty damn good. I have a POD HD500 that I've used for over a year, and I really like it, but since I got the G3 I've only used the POD at band rehearsal. Not quite as tweakable as the amp sims in the POD, but it's actually a lot easier to dial in good-sounding tones on the G3 because of that. Only three slots for effects (including the amp model), and one is usually going to be the noise suppressor (for me at least), but I still think it's pretty killer.

4. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I tried one, tweaked it pretty well and got what I thought were some pretty good amp tones. Then I A/B'd it with my Tech 21 Blonde and the Blonde stayed while the Zoom went back to GC.

The amp sims are pretty good, and if you need several amp tones it's a great option. Some of the effects are really decent and the line out is handy. It's a great value, but I still found it to have a digital edge that didn't hold up as well as I had hoped. I'm not some kind of analog zealot, I just did the A/B and kept what sounded best to me. No doubt others have gone the opposite direction.

5. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I would say no personally. But that is conditional based on how you plan to use the amp modeling. If for headphone practice and some direct recording, then yes. But really, to me the G3's real value is in everything else it can do. The amp models are simply a value added extra.

6. Henky

Henky Member

For me it's just the opposite, I primarily use the G3 for the amp models.
    For me it's one of the first "fairly" priced modelers which doesn't have a digital edge or fizz.
    IMHO the G3 is capable of some decent tones which come rather close to the classic guitar tones (Boston,AC/DC,Van Halen), check out my vids if you want to know more about that.
    Because of the nice price of the G3, such guitar tones are now in reach of every guitar player.

7. ElDiabloBlanco

ElDiabloBlanco Member

I would agree. I sold my HD500 because I think the G3 amp sims as actually superior for my use.

8. fly135

fly135 Member

For amp models with distortion it's great. But for a clean amp model I'm not too happy. I'd like a warm clean amp model that I can drive with pedals and run into a mixer direct with a cab model. But so far I can't really dial that in.

9. jay_ouch

jay_ouch Member

As for me I found it the opposite. Dist+ into FD Combo is my favorite tone at the moment. YMMV of course.

10. tucsonsound

tucsonsound Member

I agree with Fly135. I use the clean models in MainStage/Amplitube instead of the G3's. Actually, the G3's dirt pedal models seem to work better with those soft-sims than any of the G3's own amp models.

11. ElDiabloBlanco

ElDiabloBlanco Member

Perhaps because I go into a Power Engine rather than direct to a mixer, I'm having no problem getting good warm clean Fender amp models.

12. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Yeah, as people have said, clean amps aren't it's strong point, though you can get a pretty good clean tone out of the Vibroverb and Hiwatt. Twin's not bad either though has some annoying crossover distortion, same with the Vox. Bassman doesn't do clean like it should, nor can you get a clean Marshall tone which is disappointing.

It's designed primarily to be a multi-fx. The fact that the amp models are fantastic is a nice added bonus and makes it a good live rig for me.

13. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I guess I should clarify. Per the op, she/he has "boutique" pedals and a tube amp . Now the G3 is certainly capable of some great tones, especially in a direct setting. But unless the OP is looking to really shake up his/her rig, what purpose will the amp models serve? I guess it would offer one the ability to supplant their amp's pre and go directly into a loop return. Maybe that would be an improvement depending on the amp and the user's ideal tone, but I doubt it. This gets into the "even better than the real thing" area. If someone points out they have an amp (presumably because they plan to use it) and wants to incorporate the G3, my advice would be to use it like a stomp box replacer. Especially if focusing on modulation and delay. It can replace a whole slew of pedals in that regard easy. Fantastic for that usage. The amp models will cover you for direct use/recording if need be. But for me personally, the G3 doesn't offer enough flexibility to be useful as both an amp modeler and effects processor in my typical live settings. Maybe if its patch mode offered up 3 presets rather than 1 with an up and down options. The G5 seems closer, but still fairly limited to me personally. So is it worth only buying for the amp models for an amp user? For that usage alone, just can't work it into my rig. Great, great backup or stomp box replacer though, highly recommended in that regard.

14. ElDiabloBlanco

ElDiabloBlanco Member

Agreed, Will - well put. I CAN'T use a tube amp in my situation, so it makes sense for that application. For the OP, not so much.

15. harm.on.x

harm.on.x Member

Me too. I get a nice clean tone using a Tele with single coils with no problems whatsoever.
    No Power Engine in my case. I run it into an active PA speaker for live applications and pair it with a fuzzbox and a tremolo pedal. I use the G3 exclusively as a preamp/delay combo box. I guess for my application the three slots are one too many :)
    I dialed in my sound quickly but I spent about a month playing it in various situations before I completely settled on my settings.
    It has replaced the software amp sim I was using up until now and I use it instead of my amp in a lot of situations. I have actually managed to very closely match my amp's tone.
    When I use my amp, the G3 covers all my delay needs.

Edit for the O.P.: If you have a nice amp I don't think the G3 will replace it. It didn't replace mine. What it did was to replace my delay and tuner pedals and also provide a portable great sounding preamp for the situations where I can't / don't wanna use my amp. It saved me from having to plug into rental and house amps. This is something I had to do very often and I've completely stopped doing it since I got the G3. Now I just carry my minute pedalboard and choose between my amp and the G3 for amplification. I make my decision based on traveling conditions and volume considerations. Whichever way I might swing I know I'm getting the most consistent tone ever. It' s a really nice piece of gear if you know what to expect from it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  16. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

I can get cleaner tones from my G3 than I can from my HD300