Is it worth it? *Mackie Content*

Systolic

Hey all, I know Mackie doesn't get a lot of love around here, especially the Thump series, but I can get brand new Thump12's for $180 a piece. Is it worth picking a pair up to use as mains? Mostly for vocals in a rock/pop band. Small shows....maybe 200ppl on the high side.

I can get the Thump15 for $188 a piece. Would that be the better option?

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Rock band tops for more than 100 people? Doubtful.

They might do as vocal wedge monitors if the band is fairly quiet on stage.

335guy

While those prices are quite tempting, I'd be asking which version are these. As I understand it, the Thump series has had several versions, and the latest one is supposedly better than the previous ones. What you are being offered might be NOS ( older models that never were sold and are being phased out for the newer versions )

The Thump series hasn't been highly regarded, and ya get what ya pay for hold true with the Thump series. IMO, bad sounding speakers always sound bad, regardless of what they cost. Just because someone might save a bunch of money on them doesn't make them sound or work any better.

Systolic

While those prices are quite tempting, I'd be asking which version are these. As I understand it, the Thump series has had several versions, and the latest one is supposedly better than the previous ones. What you are being offered might be NOS ( older models that never were sold and are being phased out for the newer versions )

The Thump series hasn't been highly regarded, and ya get what ya pay for hold true with the Thump series. IMO, bad sounding speakers always sound bad, regardless of what they cost. Just because someone might save a bunch of money on them doesn't make them sound or work any better.
Well, I am positive that is the newest Thump12/Thump15. My thought is that I could use these as a stop gap. Use them for a few months, while we earn some additional cash, and then flip them locally (for probably a profit,) and move on up to some nicer EV, Yamaha, or QSC powered speakers.

Last edited:

Able Grip

Use them for a few months, while we earn some additional cash, and then flip them locally (for probably a profit,) and move on up to some nicer EV, Yamaha, or QSC powered speakers.

And sound like crap until you do...

Floyd Eye

Fair enough. So what's the bare minimum? ZLX12P's?

Do you have or are you planning on getting sub(s)?

If so my personal bare minimum would be Yamaha DXR12s. And I would try REAL hard to step on up to DSRs. ( or QSC, RCF or JBL boxes in the same price range)

If no subs, DXR15s.

335guy

IMO, it depends on how loud the band plays. The EV ZLX speakers sound good/fine until you push them well beyond their capability. If your band plays LOUD onstage ( and it shouldn't ), speakers in that price range ( under $500 ea ) may not keep up with the band's volume. But I have used and heard other bands use the ZLX speakers for moderate volume gigs and found them to sound clear and loud enough for vocals.

But if you are a loud band and miking all the instruments, you would be better served getting better quality speakers and subs.

walterw

Use them for a few months, while we earn some additional cash, and then flip them locally (for probably a profit,)
how's that? are they used?

is it a blowout sale? if so, why blow out the newest versions?

Systolic

how's that? are they used?

is it a blowout sale? if so, why blow out the newest versions?
Because I work for a large music retailer (no, not GC,) where my employee pricing is below what they go for on the used market.

walterw

Because I work for a large music retailer (no, not GC,) where my employee pricing is below what they go for on the used market.
nice!

still, selling used can be a hassle and not a sure thing, so don't assume you can automatically get out from under them that easily.

there's a good argument for "buy once, cry once", especially if employee pricing puts nicer stuff within your reach.

Systolic

I'd certainly like to, but my band mates are cheap bastards and don't want to spend any more money. I've given the old "buy once, cry once" argument, but I can't get them to budge. I'm tempted to bump up to something nicer and eat the extra cost myself, but I'm not exactly flush with cash currently either (got a wedding to pay for.)

Trending Topics