Is it worth it to swap out the electronics in a Gibson ES-335?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by still.ill, Feb 20, 2014.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

I see people putting RS wiring in epiphone dots/335's...

2. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

You see it?

Shouldn't modification be a response to a problem? What is your problem?

3. still.ill

still.ill Member

this is TGP, the old adage isnt "If it ain't broke don't fix it,"
    it "how do i shell out money to make the slightest perceived improvement in tone"

4. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW)

What about your "tone" needs improvement?

5. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

I changed mine since I was changing the pickups. The guitar wasn't broken to begin with but like it much more now.

6. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

I changed mine. Didn't go to RS but I did get rid of the 300K pots and went with 500K and high quality .02 capacitors.

A lot of the complaints about dull tone from the 57 Classic Pickups is really the fault of those 300K pots. They should all be 500K.

My ES-335 came with Tom Holmes humbuckers, not 57 Classics, but it sounds even better now!

7. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Changed the harness in a fat neck Memphis 335 for a Dr Vintage harness and it was all the better for it in terms of taper and torque of the volumes and voice of the caps when tone turned down. Easy install as the harness fit perfectly and the lengthened leads make for easy pickup swaps at a later date.

8. rummy

rummy Member

I didn't go with RS, but I yanked mine out. You have to figure out what you want to see if the money and effort are worth it.

9. still.ill

still.ill Member

did you guys notice much of a difference? my 335 was 2013 model so i think they come with 500k

10. Luke Duke

Luke Duke Member

Gibson still doesn't have the best taper on their pots. Some people don't use their knobs much so for them it's a non-issue. For me it's aggravating though. I use single channel amps with a boost for more grind and nothing is more aggravating than moving a knob a hair's width and getting radically louder or softer.

As for pups , I personally think 57 classics are mediocre at best. All Gibson factory pups seem to have some strange grainy quality I do not care for. Makes me think someone threw sand in my signal chain.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  11. still.ill

still.ill Member

Yeah I know exactly what you mean! I thought the neck 57 classic distorted way too early and had it swapped out accordingly with a SD59 i looted from my Schecter. Huge improvement, crystal clear clean.

However the sand grainy quality I love in the bridge 57 classic cuz it works well with distortion which is pretty much 80% of my bridge PU playing is.

yeah i pretty much have everything dimed so i guess i won't bother swapping wiring

12. Tubevalvemaniac

Tubevalvemaniac Member

IMO Custom Shop Classic 57 are great, different than Classic 57 I've got in non CS axe.

13. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

This is the kind of legitimate reason for changing out parts that I will buy into. Not that there's anything "wrong" with just tinkering. It can be lots of fun and I'm sure the aftermarket parts companies would have a rough time staying afloat if only those with a real need bought their products. Reading this board, it's obvious many aftermarket parts, particularly pickups, are bought and sold repeatedly either trying to cure a problem guitar or just to taste test. The fact is, the slight differences between so many similar products are likely to only be heard playing alone in a relatively quiet room. And even when they can be heard in a full band setting, any actual "improvement" would be debatable, assuming one was replacing quality with quality. PAF style humbuckers are a great example. High quality examples are going to sound pretty similar in a band mix. And what differences there are can generally be made very slight with an adjustment at the amp. The same goes for vintage style single coils. If you're skeptical, take a look at some interviews with working guitarists and note how many never change the stock pickups. (Caveat: working guitarists can be guitar nerds too, and many of us have fun trying different products. But it's not usually "necessary").

That's the long answer. The short one is: depends on whether it's "worth it" to you. So whether there's a real need or not, it's worth it if you enjoy it.

14. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

I had one of the best luthiers work on my 335 type (sa2000) and he did the following...Bare Knuckle Stormy mondays 4 conductor with push pull taps in the new pots and maple pup rings (butt hurtin' chunka change there), callaham ABR, tone pro aluminum stop, he also wanted to do the high end gotoh tuners but I had to stop there:)...I asked about the harness and he said these already have really good electronics.

So your best answer may come from someone who does frequent pro level work on these types and you may get some other nice things as well. Even moreso with an individual evaluation of YOUR particular instrument.

It was butt hurtin' back then but years later now I am just thrilled with this set up. (he also brought the action down to the deck)

I would recommend the bridge and pups very highly though.

15. still.ill

still.ill Member

by the bridge you mean the callaham? what does that do tonally

16. Lullabies

Lullabies Member

I have thought about giving my Epi MIK Dot an overhaul with new pickups and electronics but then I came to my senses. I'm sure someone has posted this already but if it ain't broke don't fix it! if you like what your guitar sounds like now don't change anything.

17. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

You can search the callaham abr on here for a variety of opinions but generally it will liven up the transmission of the wood tone to your amp...It also may be just a tad brighter.

It's great for situations where you just KNOW that your guitar is a great piece of wood (sounds great unplugged) but that quality is not getting out thru your amp.

18. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I think it depends on the individual guitar. I have a 2007 ’59 ES-335 RI that was significantly improved by replacing the Classic ’57 pickups and the stock wiring harness. I use the volume and tone controls a lot and the stock electronics were'nt satisfactory. I put in a set of Voodoo ‘59s, CTS pots and NOS Black Beauty caps and the change in tone and playability was remarkable. In contrast, I recently bought a Rusty Anderson ES-335 that is perfect and I don’t think a pickup change or replacing the wiring harness could improve an already stellar guitar in any way.