Is it worth it to upgrade an Epiphone Dot?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jpervin, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jpervin

jpervin Member

I'm jonesing for a ES-335 type hollowbody guitar. There's one in the emporium that I'm mulling over (though it would require trading one of my Teles for it, which I'm kinda loathe to do).
    That said, I'm wondering if buying an Epiphone Dot and upgrading the pickups, pots, switch, nut and tuners would be a good alternative?

What say ye?

2. Tinman

Tinman Member

[​IMG]

I think it can be worthwhile. I did all of those things to this Dot Studio, and it sounds great and plays very well. I got the idea from a friend who had me do it to his Sheraton II. I think I might go the Sheraton route if I were to do it again.

3. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

The dots are great guitars right out of the box.. do it.

4. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

The right DOT can be unreal! I just got one. My dad found it at a Pawnshop and, you can believe it or not, it was a major factor in my decision to take back the Les Paul Traditional I bought from GC! I'd say with very minimal work the right one could be an extremly awesome guitar with some upgrades.

5. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

Dots are great guitars with or without upgrades.

6. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

If you like the sound/feel of the Dot, then the right mods will only make it better. I have a similar project with a cheap Ibanez. I like the acoustic sound of the guitar, so I'll put some better pickups in it and have some fretwork done. I expect it will end up being a great guitar.

Bryan

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

They are good guitars right out of the box. They aren't great guitars. Good pickups and electronic swap are good investments but don't overdo it. I did and ended up have $900 invested. For $900 there are much better guitars out there even with the updgrades.

8. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

You might not have to upgrade. If it's a good one, you could be pleasantly surprised :)

9. fazen

fazen Member

I had the thing gutted. I put in DiMarzio Virtual PAFs and push-pull pots. So while I was getting that done I had all the pots replaced and the switch. Maybe $175 in parts. I can't remember. After that it sounded great.
    Then when I had the frets filed I also had a bone nut put on since the original one had an issue. That visit cost me $160.
    The tuners are fine.
    It plays and sounds great. I don't know if it sound like an ES-335, but it works for me.
    I can't recoup my money, but I probably won't be selling it anyway.

10. jpervin

jpervin Member

I wasn't going to consider the Studio version of the Dot but sheesh, that's nice! What kind of pickups are in it?

11. jefesq

jefesq Gold Supporting Member

wcrs, mojotone pots, tone pros bridge, new nut=awesome

12. Tinman

Tinman Member

TV Jones Magnatrons. Other upgrades: Tusq nut, switchcraft three-way, Bigsby B-7, new pots, new knobs, new TOM to replace black one. Silver conchos to cover the stop-tailpiece holes. Thanks for the compliment.

13. jpervin

jpervin Member

Where did the conchos come from?

14. blad51

blad51 Member

[​IMG]
    I say do it!!

I recently upgraded an Epiphone ES-295. I was really looking for a nice hollowbody. I was looking at the Gretsch and Gibson models with a Bigsby. I just couldn't justify the cost for something I was only going to play once in a while.

I found the ES-295 on eBay. The orignal owner replaced the Epiphone "licensed" Bigsby with a real one. He also replaced the machine heads with Grovers. Those were two changes I would have done anyway.

When I got the guitar I fell in love with it. I was playing the guitar all of the time. The stock dog ear P-90s pickups were pretty decent. The pots and selector switch were bad. So I decided to replace the pickups and all of the electronics.

I put Fralin P-90s in it. The neck is stock wound and the bridge is 10% over wound. I just got the guitar back from the shop. Wow it is so sweet!! I giged with it on Friday. I played it for the entire third set. The middle position (with both pickups on) through my Super Reverb is a tone that is hard to beat.

I understand that I won't be able to get my money back if I sell it. That's the case for most hot-rodded guitars. But I doubt I ever will sell it. I've got a guitar with custom electronics and premium parts for a fraction of what a Gibson or a Gretsch would have cost me. And the best part is I can gig with it and not freak out about it be stolen.

Eric
    www.johnnyjustice.com

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  15. Tinman

Tinman Member

I googled "conchos" and found several companies that sell online. I'm sorry, but I can't recall the name of the place. I believe it was in Texas or New Mexico. Big help, huh? Anyway, I ordered the kind that have wood screws on the back. I filled the holes with face-grain plugs and screwed the conchos into the center of them.

edit: texhas.com

16. shally

shally Member

i agree.. if you dont particularly like the guitar to begin with, adding hundreds of dollars in upgrades is not going to make you like it much better.

i had a DOT that i wasnt crazy about. it seemed very heavy to me and i didnt like the tone.. i eventually traded it.

i now have a 335 clone that is asian without f holes. just feels right to me and so i will upgrade the p ups and electronics.. hopefully i will continue to like it long term...

17. jpervin

jpervin Member

Thanks! :AOK

18. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

19. geonew

geonew Member

I have a DOT (purchased used) that I put Classic 57s and a new switch in, well worth it in my opinion. The fret work and tuning have never been a problem.

20. fazen

fazen Member

Nice demo. Makes wonder: Are Gibsons overpriced or Epiphones underpriced? 'cause the epi sounds really good in your video.