Is it worth keeping a guitar you don't play?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by zeffbeff, Apr 1, 2015.

1. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

I recently bought what I thought would be one of my favorite guitars: American deluxe Tele. Olympic pearl and RW board.

I unboxed it and wow, I've never been so stunned by a guitar visually.

Then I strapped it on... And I realized I'll never be a Tele guy. I sold a Tele years ago because I didn't like the ergonomics and I kept reaching for my Strat instead. I thought maybe I'd get over it by now, but no. Me and the Tele aren't happening.

So I sent it back and ordered a nice new Strat instead.

That got me thinking: is there any use in keeping a guitar which you just don't really love?

I play my Strat so much-- it feels like a natural extension of my body when I play.

But I have a gibson midtown which is so stunningly gorgeous, like a work of art. And it mostly just sits in its case, again because of the ergonomics.

I know that an SG would meld into me like my strats and that I'd play an SG far far more than my Midtown.

But the Midtown is "rare" and very limited edition and looks cool. But if I sold it, then I could easily justify the expense of an SG.

So? Do you keep around guitars which you just don't play that much?

2. Morgancograve

Morgancograve Member

Yeah it's a tough one. Depends if you need all your guitars to be 'players'. It can be hard to justify owning certain guitars, but if they have a sentimental value, or you are keeping in mint condition from a collectible point of view.

I say it is OK but not too many unless you are a genuine collector.

3. Turi

Turi Member

If you don't use it, and you're not a collector, ditch it.

Apply that to everything in life and you won't wind up on "Hoarders".

4. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Not all SG's sit all that great either.
    Assume nothing.

5. sliberty

sliberty Member

You know yourself better than any of us do. If you feel sure that you won't warm up to it, if the size/shape/weight/whatever is simply a show stopper, then move it along.

I was that way with a Strat I owned - I am just not a Strat guy. But, on the other hand, my Cabronita was working for me for a while. I tried selling it but the offers were too low. And over time, I've grown to like it a lot. Glad I still have it.

So you decide. If it's hopeless, the answer should be obvious.

6. Serenity

Serenity Member

If it were me i'd sell it. I don't like having money tied up in gear i don't use, and guitars are meant to be played, so i'd rather they go to someone who'd use it.

7. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

Thank you. A guitar deserves to be played. I did go through a phase of having a lot of mid-grade guitars and I decided to consolidate and have only nice guitars that I would play all the time. Best decision I ever made.

8. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Is it worth keeping a guitar you don't play?

Of course. Why not? I like it. I own it. It's paid for. It's taking up very little space and is easily stowed. It's not taking food off my kids' plates. I don't always find time to regularly play every guitar I own, but that doesn't mean I should unload them. I also have nice suits and leather jackets I don't always have occasion to wear every day, but I'm still not going to get rid of them.

9. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

True Dat :dude

I like having Les Pauls and Teles but I'm a Strat guy and that's what I play most of the time. My extra guitars aren't hurting me and I'm not hurting for money. I like the variety. :aok

10. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I had a 2013 les Paul for a year and a half . Great guitar, paid for and a total case queen . I finally sold it because I am not a collector. Sold it to put toward a fender custom shop strat. Now we are talking.

11. zeffbeff

zeffbeff Member

Well I think I'm going to sell the Midtown and wire up an HH Stratocaster instead.

I don't own anything else which doesn't get used-- no sense in keeping a guitar I don't use.

12. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I currently have about 30-guitars, half of them or more are Strats. Honestly, I could've done well with only 5-6 Strats, but even though Strat is my normally choice, I love the different feel and tone, even if awkward at first when grabbing my Tele or my La Cabronita or H535 or LP, etc, but they all inspire me one way or another, some more than others, yes, but all have a place.

For someone who's a Strat player, have a nice Tele, nice LP, etc...so that one day when you need something else tonally, or just something to get you out of a playing style rut, that Tele, etc might help you more than your #1, if not just for a couple of hours, or for a new tune.

Keep those not so fav guitars on stand or hanging on wall for easy access, maybe for OP, make a Tele the next to the bed guitar = forced to play it more because of accessibility, which might make you start to feel different about it in time. Sometimes I purposely put my Strats out of reach, which is not easy in my situation and keep out my La Cab and H535 only, etc.

Feels good when I get hall pass to cheat on my significant other.

13. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps you haven't tried hard enough to like it. Make it your only guitar you play for a week or more, then reevaluate. Try to explore playing differently, not the same old stuff you play on Strat...mix it up, she might let her hair down and become very attractive.

14. dazco

dazco Member

Similar problem here. I have a LP special Jr P90 GC special run thats easily the best gibson i ever owned and i love it to death as gibsons go. But i'm a dyed in the wool fender man and i never play it. Yet i don't want to sell it. I've had it for sale locally for a while but no bites and that makes me kinda happy. On the other hand it's wasting away in it's case and i know i'm better off with the $. I can't really ever fully decide either way. It's crazy.

15. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

I went through this exact scenario with my Gretsch G5420. Loved the looks, loved the sound, but the ergonomics just didn't do it for me. Body a little too big, and limited upper fret access. I recently traded it for a Fender Jazzmaster, and couldn't be happier. The JM is exactly the right body shape, and so far I've played it more than I ever played the Gretsch.

It was hard to let go, but realistically I can't hang on to a $800 guitar I don't play. I miss it, but I'm glad I let it go. Hopefully someone else will give it the playing time it deserves.

16. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

EXACTLY what I just went through. Just traded away the last such one. I was up to about 30 guitars... Cheap to mediocre to great. Now I'm down to ten or so VERY nice ones. No fat or disposables in my collection now. They're all stunning keepers, a lot of which wouldn't have been easy for me to afford otherwise.

I did the same thing with my main pedalboard, which had about 6k tied up in it. Sold most of it, and used the proceeds to pay off a card and to comission two beautiful custom guitars.

17. MrX

MrX Member

I've been down that road and I too realized I'll never be a Tele guy.

Unless you're a collector, there's no point IMO in keeping a guitar you don't love.

18. Jp2558

Jp2558 Member

I'm not a tele guy today, even though I've had one for about 20 years now. But someday I might be... And if that time comes I already have one thus avoiding a GAS attack that may end up as buyers remorse... As long as I have room to store it, I'll keep it, and jam with it a few times a year too.

19. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

I'm just a hobby player, but if I'm not playing it after a reasonable amount of time, I move it on down the line. I just sold 2 lesser guitars last weekend and bought a vintage Gretsch with the proceeds.

20. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I sold this guitar, because it never got played. Arguably the prettiest R6 ever made, but it was too nice to gig with...so I sold it. FWIW I played nothing but smokey bars filled with drunks at the time.
    [​IMG]