Is it worth replacing speaker in Roland Cube 60?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by armando, Sep 14, 2008.

1. armando

armando Member

Hi guys

Is the speaker in the Roland Cube 60 good enough?, or do people replace it with something else? I know that a lot of folks tend to replace the speaker in the 30 watt version, usually with an Eminence.......but is is worth it for the 60 watter? Thnaks in advance for any input.

2. mkymws

mkymws Member

I have wondered that for a long time myself. I have the cube 30 and it sounds good. According to Roland the speaker is optimized for the modeler so a different speaker would likely end up good with some settings, not so much with others. What really stopped me was that the speaker would end up being worth almost as much as the amp which is probably as good as it gets already.

3. MartinC

MartinC Member

Maybe try an extension cab ... ?

Could you take your amp to a shop and try it with an extension cab first? Or find a Roland stockist where you could try a Cube 60 hooked up to an extenstion cab ... rather than spend the money and end up unimpressed.

4. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

I've heard it's a tight fit. I just got an ext cab for mine and man does it sound huge.

[​IMG]

5. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

is that cube 30 loud enough and good enough OD for classic rock at a band practice.. we dont practice real loud.

6. tennisplayer

tennisplayer Senior Member

It's a 60, I think it would be ok.

7. Derelict

Derelict Member

it is a pain. you'll more than likely need a dremel tool to widen the circular opening on the baffle board as the stock speaker's basket is sort of an odd dimension. i had a jensenmod1270 in my old cube, and while it was an improvement, i think something really crunchy (read: fizz removal) like a V30 would be perfect for that amp.

8. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I've used my C60 with an ext. cab/Jensen12 that came out of my DRRI, and the C60 actually sounded better without the ext. cab. IMO. LOPOline 1X12 closed back cab.

9. mkymws

mkymws Member

It sounds good enough. It is cool for jamming with another guitar and/or bass player equally armed of course. If the drummer is electric, cool. If he's acoustic, i'd probably go with the 60.

10. va3ux

va3ux Member

A poster over on the Yahoo Jazz Guitar forum reported a huge improvement in the 'jazz tone' of his Cube 30 when he installed a 10" Eminence Delta Lite II speaker. I've since read similar reports when the 12" Delta Lite II was installed in a Cube 60. The Delta Lites are Neo so they're light weight,