Is it worth replacing the battery on an iPhone?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by leftybill, Apr 9, 2015.

1. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

My son's iPhone battery does not hold a charge. I was looking at the reviews on Amazon, and they seem so love or hate. It seems like either, the battery works well, or does not work at all.
    Has anyone gone this route and have suggestion. The phone is 3.5 years old.

2. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

The battery on my 2 year old iPhone 5 swelled up until it split the case along the joint. Took it in to a local repair shop and they replaced the battery for around $60. Works great now.

Definitely think it is a quick, low cost fix, and worth it.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

so it's an iphone 4? don't bother. you can get 'em on the 'bay for like $80 all day long, but they don't even run the current OS or many of the apps, making them mostly worthless.

4S? maybe, but mostly so you can use it as a music player or whatever. it's still largely unable to run a lot of current software.

4. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely, yes. The battery in my 5 was toast. Brought it into the Apple store and they replaced it for free because there was a problem with my s/n phone. I was more than happy to pay the kid at the mall $80 to fix it, too.

My phone rocks now. Very happy with the new battery.

5. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

interesting that you measure the worth of a smartphone by its ability to run the latest OS.

it's rubbish of course. the iPhone 4 was perfectly fine for millions & millions of people three years ago. phone calls, messaging, email, photos, videos, GPS, Safari and thousands of apps still work on an iPhone 4.

it's only people with a sad case of FOMO need the latest OS to survive.

6. travisvwright

travisvwright Member

Sorry but it's how the world values the phone. I bought a 4 a few weeks ago for $20. Literally to hand it to my 11 month old who seems to be fascinated with phones. So this was just insurance against him breaking mine.

Replacing the battery (while simple) is still going to cost more than $20. So in automotive terms it is Totaled. You are spending more than it is worth.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I agree with you. If I get an I-phone 5 now I have to upgrade my Verizon account because it can use more data (downloads at a faster rate). While some may wish to stream YouTube clips through their phone all day I see this as a distraction and would rather have to wait till I get home.

8. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Oddly, once I got the 6, I sold my 4S on ebay for $250. I couldn't believe it. Granted it was mint and 32GB, but still, it seemed insane to me.

9. Reyybarra

Reyybarra Supporting Member

Yes! I am I HS teacher and I have a student that replaces battery's and screens... I got a new battery for 8$ and he replaced it in 3 min. Works perfectly

10. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

I'm at the point where I either need to replace the battery in my nearly 10 year old Ipod Classic 80 GB, or just break down and get an Ipod Touch 64GB. I'm worried with getting a new one how I will transfer my catalog, the majority was ripped from a friend's computer in college, but I've since exclusively added music through itunes or burning my cds into itunes.

11. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I think a new battery is a good idea.
    I have adjusted my battery charging habits and seem to get better life.
    Leaving the phone on the charger overnight seems to not be a good idea.

12. andrekp

andrekp Member

As has been suggested above, it's worth it only if the phone is still worth it. At some point, you HAVE to upgrade and even a $10 battery does you no practical good.

I'm an Android user, so I don't know whether the phone you have has reached that threshold. Probably though.

13. Jim Holloway

Jim Holloway Supporting Member

Where does one buy a decent replacement battery? As leftbill mentioned the reviews for aftermarket batteries on amazon are all over the map with some even claiming a faulty replacement battery damaged their phone.

(My wife's 5 is in a similar state).

14. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

go to apple and see if you're eligible for a free battery. I have an iphone 5 and it had a defective battery (couldn't hold a charge longer than a couple hours tops). They replaced it for me for free.

15. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

To clarify, it is not about running the latest software. My son has an ecological perspective. He saw a short film in one of his classes how "recycled" old cell phones were being burned in third world countries for scrap metals. So much for what we think is recycled!
    His phone is way out of warranty, and we thought it was worth giving a new battery a try.
    I wanted to see if anyone had a good or bad experience with an aftermarket battery.

16. standard24

standard24 Member

Lots of Youtube videos about how to do the battery replacement.

Actually, lots of Youtube videos showing how to replace anything. (I'm doing a timing belt tomorrow. Thanks, Youtube!)

17. BeBop

BeBop Member

Ya, no kidding. I have a 4s, never upgraded to the latest OS - can't stand it. My phone works perfectly fine. The only thing that does not work is Facetime, but I could not care less.

18. Jim Holloway

Jim Holloway Supporting Member

Thanks - but already checked that site for both mine and my wife's phone (both purchased at the same time). Unfortunately neither covered under that program.

My phone's battery still seems fine. I'm wondering if her battery is giving out because she plugs it into the charger every chance she gets. I noticed this on apple site which leads me to wonder if excessive charging might eventually cause a problem. (Although I realize battery 'memory' issues aren't what they once were).

iPhone Owners
    Your battery is designed to retain up to 80% of its original capacity at 500 complete charge cycles. The one-year warranty includes service coverage for a defective battery. If it is out of warranty, Apple offers a battery service for $79, plus $6.95 shipping, subject to local tax.

19. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

id say yes if it were a good iphone like a 5 or 6
    id throw it away if it were a 4 lol

20. Coldacre

Coldacre Supporting Member

What the hell?

so you

A. got an iPhone 4 for $20

B. and you'll have to spend $20 or $30 for a battery?

C. its for an ELEVEN month old? someone who can barely talk?

D. spending more than $20 to replace the battery is a big deal?

:dunno

I hate the saying "first worlds problems"... but FFS......