Is it worth upgrading from Dimarzio Area's to Lindy Fralin's?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joemail75, Jan 15, 2015.

1. joemail75

joemail75 Member

I am constantly in search of better strat tone. Specifically neck pickup. Currently I'm running the Area's from Dimarzio (58 and 61) and I haven't been blown away. They sound good but I question if I need to try something else.

Am I going to notice a huge tone shift with an upgrade to a pair of Lindy Fralin Blues? Anyone made this change before?

Gear is strat into bassman.

Thanks!

2. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

If there was such a thing as being satisfied with your current gear, you wouldn't be on TGP.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  3. Mr God

Mr God Member

:noevil :D

4. throbert

throbert Member

Why not just buy a set of Fralins and mount them another pickguard and try them for a while? Shouldn't be that hard to find a used set or if you buy new and you don't like them, you can always sell them here. The Dimarzios are also well regarded and should be easy to sell. However, having at least one noiseless Fender-style instrument is not a bad idea. Fralin makes a great product although I always felt his pickups were a little bright for my tastes.

5. JCJones

JCJones Member

I think you'll be hard-pressed to find someone who has made that exact same change. But the change from Duncans to Fralins was not world changing for me. Even if you find someone who has made that specific change it still isn't the same as hearing it for yourself.

6. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Fralins are NOT noiseless, big difference. I think the fralins will sound better but you have all the vintage noise. The Area's do a good job at sounding like a vintage strat pup, not sure it can beat the real deal.

7. joemail75

joemail75 Member

I think i may just live with the Dimarzio's...maybe try some different heights. I doubt a pickup will drastically alter my perception by that much.

8. flywheel

flywheel Member

Slight differences I am sure,just like any pick-up change

9. dirtnap101

dirtnap101 Member

I acutally have Fralin Blues Specials in one guitar and Areas in another guitar. The Areas are good but they aren't true single coils and many folks believe that you can't get "real", traditional vintage strat sounds without using real single coils, hum be damned.

The biggest difference between the two is, of course, that Fralin Blues will hum and probably to an annoying extent as you add gain (if you do). How bad the hum gets depends on where your playing and the electrical environment you're in. Minus the hum, I think they sound warmer, livelier, more authentic. The Areas are trying to sound like that while eliminating the hum and for the most part people seem to think they succeed (I think they are ok, but I do find them to be a little lifeless sometimes).

So people who want single coil tone but can't take the hum get noiseless like the Areas and most seem to love them. Some others think to get single coil tone you need single coils. The only way to 100% know what camp you fall into is to try it yourself.

Of course, you could always try other hum-cancelling strat pickups - Fralin makes high end noiseless strat pups as does Kinman and Zexcoil.

10. strangesounds

strangesounds Member

I, on the other hand, found the change from the Areas to true single coils to be significant in my guitars through my rig. I live with a little buzz, as the Dimarzio's gave an odd sheen to my tone to my ear.

I thought Fralins were very good, but Rocketfires (Total 60's if you can find them) made two guitars sound like entirely different Strats. Lollars are my second favorite I've tried. Pickups like mics just amplify and eq the tone of the strat though, IMO. I've tried far too many sets trying to change the root sound of a guitar. And a few times I've lucked out finding that perfect blend. Hope my experience helps, and if you have decided to stay with the Dimarzios, height adjustment can make a big difference.

11. rummy

rummy Member

Areas are my favorite hum cancelling Strat pickups, and Fralins BS is my favorite Strat pickups, period.