• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Is it wrong to think that PF is an average band?

Adolf

Perhaps it is due to a generational issue, or that it simply does not connect with me, or it may even be because I listen to his music without the influence of narcotics, but never in my life has any Pink Floyd album blown my head.

I honestly consider that they do not surpass in any case to progressive bands of their time like Camel, Caravan or Genesis. Are these thoughts illegitimate and should I go to some training course?

rizla

I listened to PF back in the olden days when I was 15-19.
Its really boring. Some nice music in it but its just boring.
Lyrically I dont connect to it at all. It was a struggle as a teenager to feel anything about the lyrics but as a 57yr old man I find a lot of it quite cringe worthy. I cant remember which song it is but there is one song where if I hear it, I have to fight a mental tick to stop myself yelling "Grow up Roger" " or "Stop being such a soft ***k"
A friend still holds them up as the best band ever. He loves them and connects with them on every level. He always wants to jam on PF songs, so we do, it makes him happy, he's my friend.

jiml

Silver Supporting Member
You can't deny they sold a lot of material over the years, and DSOTM, Wish You Were Here are epic.

I won't go out of my way to listen to them, don't own much of their stuff.

I love Meddle though....

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
They're definitely one of the 100 best rock bands, but usually people put PF in the top 10 and I honestly don't get it. Everyone has their opinion, but in my ranking, I would hardly place Floyd in the top 40 bands
Oh I totally get it. But being in top 100 best bands of all time in itself doesn't make them average. I guess average to me is your local bar band. But I think sometimes you have to see things in 2 ways. 1. What I/you like 2. History and objective perspectives. There are bands whose music I don't like but I respect their professionalism/abilities/importance/history etc.

Cal Walker

They're definitely one of the 100 best rock bands, but usually people put PF in the top 10 and I honestly don't get it. Everyone has their opinion, but in my ranking, I would hardly place Floyd in the top 40 bands
Considering how many bands there are and have been over the course of the last 70 years, even "one of the 100 best rock bands" would most definitely not qualify as "average". I'm not a fan of Pink Floyd at all, but I can admit with 100% certainty that they are not average.

R3deemed

Perhaps it is due to a generational issue, or that it simply does not connect with me, or it may even be because I listen to his music without the influence of narcotics, but never in my life has any Pink Floyd album blown my head.
Long answer: I guess if you’d call Led Zeppelin or The Rolling Stones average then PF is too.

I personally love David Gilmour’s playing and tone, but could never get into the music because I like up-tempo fun music.

Short answer: no, I’ve wouldn’t call them average.

BTW PF isn’t a him.

amigo30

I honestly consider that they do not surpass in any case to progressive bands of their time like Camel, Caravan or Genesis. Are these thoughts illegitimate and should I go to some training course?
To begin with you said " I listen to his music ". There is no "him" which makes me think that you're relatively uninitiated with Pink Floyd. Maybe that's because it's just not the right music for you - which is fine.

To call them AVERAGE however shows that either:

1. You've barely heard Pink Floyd
2. You don't know what the word "average" means
3. You're a troll.

Fess up, please. Which is it?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom