Is Joe Bonamassa the modern day SRV?

coolhand78

If not who do you think is, or do you think that no one can claim
The throne left behind when Stevie passed?

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
To consider such things in those terms is doing a disservice to them both.

mtperry85

NO! Joe can play, but he's much more rock oriented and uptight in the English tradition. I don't hear the constant creativity and soulfullness that Stevie played with, or the willingness to push his playing to the edge. There's plenty of great players out there, but I don't think any of them approach SRV's combo of technique and passionate blues-rock.... though even SRV is only a reflection of the greatness that was Hendrix.

SRV was a unique entity, not just a guitar player. He was a one of a kind.

Joe is just a great technician. A chameleon. A cloner of those that interest him. Even he admitted this on Guitar Center Sessions.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is probably the closest to SRV in terms of style, but even he can't conjure up the voodoo or bleed his soul through his sound like SRV did.

The ONLY guy that's come along since Stevie to be able to do that, is Derek Trucks.

Stevie was a guy who many have tried to clone but I've never heard anyone match him let alone play his stuff better than he did. Stevie was also one of those "greats" who could hit one note and you knew it was him. Also he could solo for an hour and not get boring. Joe B get's boring after 5 seconds.

So to answer your question there will never be another SRV... Derek can't sing or write worth a damn. Stevie did both exceptionally well. Joe B can't. Kenny can't.

The only guy that even comes remotely close was Ian Moore, and he went off the rails years ago.

will132

Joe is just a great technician. A chameleon. A cloner of those that interest him. Even he admitted this on Guitar Center Sessions.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is probably the closest to SRV in terms of style, but even he can't conjure up the voodoo or bleed his soul through his sound like SRV did.

The ONLY guy that's come along since Stevie to be able to do that, is Derek Trucks.

Stevie was a guy who many have tried to clone but I've never heard anyone match him let alone play his stuff better than he did. Stevie was also one of those "greats" who could hit one note and you knew it was him. Also he could solo for an hour and not get boring. Joe B get's boring after 5 seconds.

So to answer your question there will never be another SRV... Derek can't sing or write worth a damn. Stevie did both exceptionally well. Joe B can't. Kenny can't.

The only guy that even comes remotely close was Ian Moore, and he went off the rails years ago.

Perfectly stated including Ian Moore. That guy should have been huge.

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
SRV could improvise forever. I rarely see Joe B improvise in concerts.

Sean Costello was the most recent to have unlimited improvising ideas and also have the ability to sing soulfully.

Interestingly, Joe has actually been in the game a lot longer than SRV was, and SRV got started pretty early.

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
SRV could improvise forever. I rarely see Joe B improvise in concerts.

Sean Costello was the most recent to have unlimited improvising ideas and also have the ability to sing soulfully.

Interestingly, Joe has actually been in the game a lot longer than SRV was, and SRV got started pretty early.
Albeit very predictable improv. Love SRV, was a force that may never be totally replicated.

'58Bassman

You call Bonamassa a "cloner of those that interest him" but if you listen to SRV, his influences were right there, for all to hear- Albert, BB and Freddie King licks for days. However, coming from Texas, his local/regional influences included Western Swing, Delta Blues, Country & Western, Memphis Soul and '50's-'60s rock.

Bonamassa was born in '77, in New York and came from a very different background. His view of music is totally different- he favors the British blues players and cites SRV as one of his influences.

SRV lived where the Blues was a way of life- Bonamassa saw it from a distance. Also, SRV came to light at a time when the Blues was almost commercially dead and I firmly believe that he was a major cause of it coming back in a big way. Well, him and John Hammond, who signed him to Colombia Records. I know that hearing him made me return to the Blues. Hearing his albums was great, but seeing him from the front row at Summerfest was amazing- that band was cooking!

ZeyerGTR

To consider such things in those terms is doing a disservice to them both.
Yeah, that's a great way to put it. Huge fan of both, although their styles are very different.

It's a different time in music now, so I don't think there will ever be another SRV. I don't think it's possible for a guitar player to have the wide-spread influence SRV had.

Strat58

Hi after SRV everybody played with strats and Tubescreamer and had the same king od sound, SRV rewrote the book of blues and blues has never sounded the same again. Another visonair was in 60theis was well Jimi Hendrix. Like Eddie changed the way we play rock so did SRV for the blues and thats a great accomplishment. Don't think there will be ever a guitarplayer like Jimi or Stevie they were truly one of kind, who can made such great music. Joe is alright but miles and miles away from those 2
Peace Strat58

Jack Gilvey

Joe B has an enyclopedic knowledge of styles and the ability to pull them off. I don't hear Joe himself in there, though, in the sense of an identifiable style.
SRV had heavy influences as well, and displayed them proudly. There was no mistaking who was playing, though. He made it his own.

fenderlead

Joe B has an enyclopedic knowledge of styles and the ability to pull them off. I don't hear Joe himself in there, though, in the sense of an identifiable style.
SRV had heavy influences as well, and displayed them proudly. There was no mistaking who was playing, though. He made it his own.
I'd agree and I'd add that Joe is a very good player.

Somewhere amongst all of the influences, the person has to come out as well and with Joe I get the sense that he hasn't come out much in the mix.

sideman

Well, if we think of the "next SRV" not as one similar to SRV in style and playing, but rather as one who would come out of nowhere and rapidly rise to the top of the blues rock charts with dazzling chops, then maybe the question is arguable. But I think of SRV as a hot, sweaty, intuitive player, and JB as a cool, poised, calculated player. SRV is like Bruce Willis to JB's Agent Smith (from Matrix). Neither of them are my cup of tea. But I sometimes watch SVR concert videos just to see him work. JB has never held any interest for me - just too posed and lacking in groove. The one time I saw him, playing before BBKing 10 years ago or so, the first thing uttered on stage was his declaration, "I am Joe Bonomassa!" like Moses coming down from the Mount. I was like, "settle down!"

Trending Topics