Is Joe Bonamassa the modern day SRV?

woof*

SRV had hits.
Yes, and that's a whole other aspect of SRV, his appeal was far far greater to all sorts of people...not just guitar players. SRV was universal...like Hendrix in his own way. Joe is not.

Marc Roy

SRV was a unique entity, not just a guitar player. He was a one of a kind.

Joe is just a great technician. A chameleon. A cloner of those that interest him. Even he admitted this on Guitar Center Sessions.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is probably the closest to SRV in terms of style, but even he can't conjure up the voodoo or bleed his soul through his sound like SRV did.

The ONLY guy that's come along since Stevie to be able to do that, is Derek Trucks.

Stevie was a guy who many have tried to clone but I've never heard anyone match him let alone play his stuff better than he did. Stevie was also one of those "greats" who could hit one note and you knew it was him. Also he could solo for an hour and not get boring. Joe B get's boring after 5 seconds.

So to answer your question there will never be another SRV... Derek can't sing or write worth a damn. Stevie did both exceptionally well. Joe B can't. Kenny can't.

The only guy that even comes remotely close was Ian Moore, and he went off the rails years ago.
Your posts never cease to amaze....

So Bonamassa is a cloner but SRV wasn't? Funny, when he played on David Bowie's stuff in the early 80's, Nile Rodgers called SRV an Albert King clone. SRV was unique but make no mistake, he had no bones about showing his influences.

gmann

Seems like SRV kind of had his own unique tone, style, and class. Seems like he changed the game. I see Joe B as highly skilled, and love listening to him, but don't know that he is a game changer.
Yeah, I agree with this. Huge SRV fan and a big fan of Joe B. as well. Whether you like him or not, SRV was most definitely a game changer and his influence is still felt. I think Joe B. is a phenomenal player but his presence on the scene didn't really change anything. Go to any bar and you will hear SRV licks on tunes that aren't even SRV songs. Joe's influence isn't near that of Stevies.

nteague

Bonamassa no - I just don't get the energy from his playing.

For me I think Phil Sayce is closer but I don't know if there's scope any more for a game changer like SRV or VH

CowTipton

Gold Supporting Member
Joe B. is the modern day Joe B.
That boy can play, and his singing has really improved too.

twoheadedboy

SRV came up in Texas, and it is very clear in his playing. Likewise, JB came up in upstate New York, and it is obvious.

getrguy1

The only guy that even comes remotely close was Ian Moore, and he went off the rails years ago.

My thoughts exactly....

ukslinger

It all depends on what criteria your looking at

From a guitar hero standpoint Joe is right there. He's probably the only guy that the masses would identify as a current guitar great. Lots of great players but I'm speaking more about joe public

But he doesn't have the hits and I don't think will have the impact that SRV had/has

And style-wise they're worlds apart

No one can match SRV's wideopen channel that he tapped into. It was just raw and natural. And he had the voice to match it

Joe's awesome but its just a different vibe that seems less lasting than SRV

twoheadedboy

So true. I'm waiting for him to start tapping like Van Halen or doing diminished runs like Yngwie and then get mad when people call him on it
From what I've seen, Joe has been pretty open about Eric's influence on his playing, as he has been about the influence of SRV, Clapton, and Freddie King.

Last edited:

trainwrecker

Alright this will be a long winded answer, and it may offend all, nay it will offend all, and it possibly may be misconstrued as overly simplistic or too much generalization, but here goes:

Yes

Polynitro

i never met anyone in real life who knows who Joe B is.

i dont hear any Hendrix in SRV at all. All I hear is Albert KIng.

rhinocaster

Gold Supporting Member
I remember Stevie coming out of nowhere and socking me in the eye through the radio....Gary Clark Jr. kinda did the same thing recently. :)

Tomo

Above all I respect, admire both SRV & Joe...deep commitment
and hard work on playing their music.

Tomo

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
I don't think Bonamassa plays, sings, sounds or looks anything like SRV. There's your answer.

Last edited:

neoprimitive

I'm an SRV fan, have been since he first appeared. He had a great voice and his playing was raw and had immense amounts of soul. Bonamassa has tons of technical skill, but his voice is bland, and his songs do nothing for me personally. He can play, no question about it. But there are a lot of technically amazing players out there who don't have great songs as vehicles to express themselves through. SRV wrote some great songs that will stand on their own as great songs. JB's songs don't stand on their own as great songs.I know there are tons of JB fans here, and they are free to enjoy his music and playing, but it does absolutely nothing for me personally. Me there is no comparison between the two.

dazco

"He had minimal understanding of the fretboard" ? This may be the most off base remark I've read on this forum and that covers a lot of ground.

I've never seen anyone who had as complete a knowledge of a fretboard in my life.

Understanding the fretboard does not come from knowing modes and scales it's the movement, timing, expression, all the nuances that allow a master to speak through his instrument, not just play it.
Why don't you read it more carefully, then NOT leave out important words in your quote thereby taking it out of context ! Or are you not familiar with the word "compared". A 400 HP car may be considered powerful, but it's a scooter compared to a formula car. Clear yet? I swear, you can't say a freaking thing here w/o people reading things into your post that you didn't say. Good god...

gmann

SRV's impact was immediate when that 1st LP hit. Joe has been around forever and made many albums. If he hasn't had that impact yet he's not gonna have it IMO. Not taking anything away fm Joe as I'm a big fan. Those guys are apples and oranges to me. They both play guitar, I think it ends there.

Trending Topics