Is Joe Bonamassa the modern day SRV?

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
Little known fact; JB used to gig around upstate New York as an SRV cover act before he was a teenager, known as the "Smoking Joe" era.

katydid

throne?
THRONE?

wow; ridiculous, imo..... and i dig SRV!
I agree to a certain extent, however...

I do remember, despite my tendency not to be completely lucid at a the time, hearing those opening notes in 'Pride and Joy', and thinking that something had definitely changed in the guitar universe.

He certainly wasn't the king of all guitar, but IIRC, he more or less single handedly brought Blues guitar back into popular focus...

so if there's a throne for someone with the goods to pull that one off, then he belongs seated upon it.

newking70

I hope this doesn't sound too dumb, but how popular was SRV at the height of his career? Was he an extremely well-known muso (outside of guitar playing circles), or has the bulk of accolade and status come about since his death?
The guy headlined Madison Square Garden. He had 4 platinum albums while he was alive, won a Grammy, was on MTV Unplugged, hosted an MTV special about Texas musicians and had a bunch of videos in regular rotation on MTV. The only concert I ever went to where there were NO scalpers was SRV at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic. A friend went 2 hours before showtime and could not find a ticket and went home without getting in. Not to mention Lets Dance by Bowie.
Underground? Not from 1983 on.

JPF

throne?
THRONE?

joe is joe; let him be joe!
i enjoy his playing; that's enough for me.

anyway: f•c• all this silly-assed "throne" bullsh•t;
just enjoy some music without the extra crap:
go out & be moved, inspired & bettered by it.
would you settle for a pedestal?

T92780

Gold Supporting Member
Joe plays like he's busting out something he figured out off an Eric Johnson instructional video.
Yeah, JB has a love for that "EJ" like descending pentatonic riff, but one can say SRV over used that Albert King riff/phrase.

I'm sure SRV would appreciate JB and Mayer's playing, though both very different, all three would had one thing in common... The Blues.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
This is 100% correct. SRV is like a God among guitar players. Joe B is like Cher - a good mimic of other people and he brings the gay fan base.

You seem to be incredibly clueless. Daft is probably more accurate but I've already typed the first sentence.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
throne?
THRONE?

joe is joe; let him be joe!
i enjoy his playing; that's enough for me.

anyway: f•c• all this silly-assed "throne" bullsh•t;
just enjoy some music without the extra crap:
go out & be moved, inspired & bettered by it.

Agree totally with David here …

Now if someone asked who I'd rather listen to on a regular basis it would JB …
In general, his 'music' is much more interesting to me then SRV's …
& his playing/note choice in the "Rock Candy Funk Party Band" is simply Killer!!!!!!!

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
I agree to a certain extent, however...

I do remember, despite my tendency not to be completely lucid at a the time, hearing those opening notes in 'Pride and Joy', and thinking that something had definitely changed in the guitar universe.

He certainly wasn't the king of all guitar, but IIRC, he more or less single handedly brought Blues guitar back into popular focus...

so if there's a throne for someone with the goods to pull that one off, then he belongs seated upon it.

Yes. SRV was a game changer. Is that even possible in this era?

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
hate to think i was a modern day somebody who was here before
unless it was me in a different life
and even then
it was a DIFFERENT life, no?
let ME be ME
in THIS different life

dig?

it's DIFFERENT this time

can't step into the same river twice. . . . . not even in the same minute

the rose is still a rose. . . . . if it reminds you of one from your past. . . .

. . . inhale deeply

you can REMEMBER the old rose, but f*cking DIG THE ROSE UNDER YOUR NOSE

Trending Topics