Is Marshall going to release anything new ever?

fffppptmeh

I too would like a DSL40 head, but Marshall’s prices are crazy in the post pandemic world.

Seems to not really matter though, inventory of many of their amps is low. They likely can’t make any new product lines right now. Companies that really need more business like Peavey are putting off their new 6505 amps because of supply chain issues.

For all those folks annoyed at 20w being too loud, life is too short, go get a Fryette Power Station and be done with it already. There are too many threads imo on TGP about amps being too loud. Stop spending $250-300 on SLO mini amps or gimmick pedals and get a used PS for $650.

Saw a 12 year old at GC today playing on a “garbage” SS combo they sell and he actually sounded pretty rad. A reminder to me that you don’t need the perfect Marshall unicorn amp.

ccc

The # 1 complaint about todays amps including Marshall's amps even the 20 watt versions are that they are way way too loud. What people request the most is low watt amps ( Not 20 watt 10 watt or even 5 watt) because even cranked 5 watt amps will wake your neighbors . Musicians want a low watt amp that you can play late at night at volume levels that don't wake the entire house but sound every bit as good as their much more powerful siblings.

The only amps that do that perfectly are the Marshall 1 watt JTM, JMP, JCM 800, JCM 2000 and the JVM 1 watt series amps that were released back in 2012 . Every forum I'm a part of says Marshall should make those amps a year round stock item because they would sell millions and millions of them.

They would be priced at approx half of what the SV and SC 20 watt Plexi & JCM 800 would be priced at and sound every bit as good .

The DSL 1 watt sucks and doesn't compare.

Don't believe those 1 watt versions of the JTM, JMP, JCM 800, JCM 2000 and JVM sound absolutely amazing and just as good as their much more powerful brothers listen to the below and judge for yourself.

People would kill to have practice amps that sound this insanely good that you can play at TV volume levels. The below sounds are being played at the 0.3 watt setting . First half of video is the 1 watt JMP Plexi and the 2nd half is the JCM 800 1 watt. They come in combo & head versions and both can be plugged into larger cabinets.

Marshall needs to get going with this before Soldano wakes up and makes an SLO all tube 1 watt head instead of that Solid State toy or the EVH brand makes an Iconic 1 watt all tube head because whatever manufacturer comes out with their versions first will see sales figures that will boggle the mind.

The # 1 complaint about todays amps including Marshall's amps even the 20 watt versions are that they are way way too loud. What people request the most is low watt amps ( Not 20 watt 10 watt or even 5 watt) because even cranked 5 watt amps will wake your neighbors . Musicians want a low watt amp that you can play late at night at volume levels that don't wake the entire house but sound every bit as good as their much more powerful siblings.

The only amps that do that perfectly are the Marshall 1 watt JTM, JMP, JCM 800, JCM 2000 and the JVM 1 watt series amps that were released back in 2012 . Every forum I'm a part of says Marshall should make those amps a year round stock item because they would sell millions and millions of them.

They would be priced at approx half of what the SV and SC 20 watt Plexi & JCM 800 would be priced at and sound every bit as good .

The DSL 1 watt sucks and doesn't compare.

Don't believe those 1 watt versions of the JTM, JMP, JCM 800, JCM 2000 and JVM sound absolutely amazing and just as good as their much more powerful brothers listen to the below and judge for yourself.

People would kill to have practice amps that sound this insanely good that you can play at TV volume levels. The below sounds are being played at the 0.3 watt setting . First half of video is the 1 watt JMP Plexi and the 2nd half is the JCM 800 1 watt. They come in combo & head versions and both can be plugged into larger cabinets.

Marshall needs to get going with this before Soldano wakes up and makes an SLO all tube 1 watt head instead of that Solid State toy or the EVH brand makes an Iconic 1 watt all tube head because whatever manufacturer comes out with their versions first will see sales figures that will boggle the mind.

IDK, I’ve owned the JTM1 and played the rest of the anni range. They were cool and I agree Marshall has rocks in their head to not have them in their permanent lineup but to say they were ‘every bit as good as their big versions’ is a bit much. The 800 was cute but absolutely not the same as even the SC20, which I think is about the best thing in terms of filling a product lineup gap they’ve released lately. I did think the jmp was exceptionally good fun for a 1w amp.

ccc

IDK, I’ve owned the JTM1 and played the rest of the anni range. They were cool and I agree Marshall has rocks in their head to not have them in their permanent lineup but to say they were ‘every bit as good as their big versions’ is a bit much. The 800 was cute but absolutely not the same as even the SC20, which I think is about the best thing in terms of filling a product lineup gap they’ve released lately.
The JTM needs to be louder than the others to reach breakup levels . Listen to the video demo I posted of the JCM 800 1 watt . Second half of video , sounds incredible .

scotty31

Silver Supporting Member
Thought the 20 series was a great bit of marketing for them. Classic designs, capable of home and most venue use.
All that's really left to build on that would be to add an internal load/IR system and headphones and you've effectively got an all in one tool.

Also think there is nothing wrong with banking on legacy when your legacy is that good. the re-issues are decent amps for those who aren't interested in looking for boutique alternatives or hunting unmolested vintage models.

if I could request one thing from them....pair up with a speaker builder to re-issue pulsonics in a 412 cab :)

Pongo

Serious question: do they need to release anything new right now? Even with a fairly small post-pandemic social circle, I know multiple people who would rob their own grandmothers to get a hold of a SV/SC20 or a more vintage Marshall amp (they appear to be in stock at Sweetwater now). Origin and DSL lines don't seem as "must have," but those are often out of stock, too. At this time, it seems like Marshall is selling product about as fast as they can produce it.

And as @john l mentioned, Marshall fans seem to hate new stuff until after the fact, but the Origin and 20s, which are new (while admittedly retro), have been warmly received. If it ain't broke...?

skoora

At this point Marshall is like the Gibson of amps. The customers are traditionalist who don’t want new things and when they get something new they complain.
Marshall isn't earning it with what they're making. If any of the newer amps were as good you would aee them in Studios around the world but except for the JVM which may be in some for metal guys, you are going to see plexi's, metal panels and 2203/4's. They don't care about image, they care about sounds.

LaXu

My guess is Marshall does not have any competent amp designers left anymore. Recycling your existing amps as 20W versions without features to make them any more practical than their 50W brethren is not exactly innovation.

I think they would have room in their lineup for an updated DSL type amp similar to what Friedman is offering. Or a "Studio" amp with built in Two Notes IR loader and attenuator. Neither is particularly innovative but something that would definitely sell.

If I want a Marshall type amp, I am looking at brands like Bogner, Friedman, BluGuitar, Bluetone etc before even taking a glance at Marshall themselves because I know they don't make a product that works for me: an amp that can sound great whether it's at low home volumes or at stage levels.

But at the same time Marshall are probably selling every DSL40CR combo they can make, that's probably one of the most popular "my first tube amp" options for people without TGP budgets. So maybe they don't have a need to do anything different when their stuff sells.

I said this on another forum to the same question...With current Marshall pricing in the US who the hell would buy anything new? 3k for a reissue JCM 900? Not sure if we are getting raped by the distributor or what but I can't see how Marshall will thrive over here with over inflated prices and no innovation. I'm a Marshall fan btw
I dunno; Fender seem to do ok with designs going back to the early 1950s...

My guess is Marshall does not have any competent amp designers left anymore. Recycling your existing amps as 20W versions without features to make them any more practical than their 50W brethren is not exactly innovation.

I think they would have room in their lineup for an updated DSL type amp similar to what Friedman is offering. Or a "Studio" amp with built in Two Notes IR loader and attenuator. Neither is particularly innovative but something that would definitely sell.

If I want a Marshall type amp, I am looking at brands like Bogner, Friedman, BluGuitar, Bluetone etc before even taking a glance at Marshall themselves because I know they don't make a product that works for me: an amp that can sound great whether it's at low home volumes or at stage levels.

But at the same time Marshall are probably selling every DSL40CR combo they can make, that's probably one of the most popular "my first tube amp" options for people without TGP budgets. So maybe they don't have a need to do anything different when their stuff sells.
Exactly; I assume Marshall's marketing chaps have done their homework, concentrating on what sells and continues to sell. In that respect they are no different from any other business. Valve technology is well over a century old; just how much more innovation can there be? Incidentally I gigged a DSL40 for many years and just passed on a really cheap one in favour of a DSL5CR. I don't gig any longer and don't need anything bigger.

teemuk

I'm pretty sure they did release a new pair of wireless headphones and a small Bluetooth amplifier less than a year ago. Were they supposed to make amplifiers for guitars? Who even plays those things today....
:hide2

C-4

I personally love the 20 watt Marshalls, and feel that I would rather have an amp which can be made to be too loud, rather than an amp which could actually need to be a bit louder.

The only thing I would love to see Marshall release is an amp like the JMD-1 series but with all the classic amps in the digital pre section, and an EL-34 power section just like the original JMD-1 series, and maybe a 50/20 watt switch.

Hugh Manitee

I'd like to see Marshall come out with a couple brand new high end/hand wired 20/50 Watt heads.
^This is it for me.
I love the heritage aspect of the brand, but insofar as they don't have much going on this department (especially something combining high-end/hand-wired, with channel-switching and/or more compact footprint)... I look elsewhere.

Zenki

it would be really stupid to do design/engineering/tooling at Marshall scale for a new all tube amp right now. the future is here, not coming, like it's here right ****ing now, and it's overwhelmingly end to end digital. Fender is figuring out this route on their own. I think Marshall may understand this but isn't sure what to do - they were kind of behind the low-wattage curve as well. As a twitter pitch the solution is simple, "buy one of the existing modeling companies", but in reality that's just the start of a bunch of hard work.

E2942

Marshall, Marshall, Marshall!

1654528852368.png

Trending Topics

Top Bottom