Is Marshall going to release anything new ever?

Moony

Gear4Music and Andertons (to name 2 UK sellers) do not ship Marshall amps to the United States.
Gear4Music even stated that on their US website, if you click on any Marshall amp:

"This product is currently unavailable for delivery to your country"

Reactions: ccc

Moony

but I am not sure how many big amps they sell?

They also sell tons of budget amps.
Santiago Alvarez said in a discussion on YT that they sold hundreds of thousands of these cheap MG amps that cost under $100 - 4000 amps per month all over the world.

And I can see that.

Marshall is an iconic brand and beginners tend to start with low budget gear.
Also not everyone in the world is rich and can afford a real all tube Marshall.

guitarzan33

Marshall (along with Gibson, Fender, & PRS) were no shows at NAMM 2022. Marshall has not stated anything about what they are offering for the 60th anniversary. So assume nothing...

and NAMM sucked to high heaven....

Der

Been going through the 2022 NAMM videos on Youtube and I'm pretty sure Marshall skipped NAMM this year. Not outside the norm, being that Fender, Gibson, PRS among others are not attending this year.

But, I have been watching carefully with a wallet full of cash for years now. Didn't they skip some random NAMM not that long ago either after or before the Origin Series?.. I wasn't surprised really during lockdown, but assumed like many companies they could focus on a blowing the doors off of a new release of some sort when things got goin again.
Those who skipped this year have been releasing direct to consumers - Marshall? Crickets.

Yes, there were a few 20 watt reissues, but Blackstar's new St. James series is filling the specs I have been waiting on Marshall to do for what seems like forever now. 50 watts, smaller and lighter Head options. That's it.

Is the Origin Series in 2018 the newest amp series Marshall has released "recently"?... Before that Astoria?..

Not shouting at clouds per say, but I am shouting across the pond :drown
Much like Gibson, brands like Marshall have learned that the instrument/amp buying public ( that is to say; the ones who actually plunk down money to purchase products, as opposed to internet posters) actually don't want them to change or add products. They seem to SAY they want new, but they don't actually buy the new stuff. And when Gibson or Marshall do come out with something new, people complain that they are losing their direction (or other some such). This isn't everyone. But actual sales are what tell the companies what the people want or will accept.
Granted, some of the "innovations" companies like Gibson have come up with in the past were really bad ideas. But so many people have become locked into the mystique of the past; P-to-P wiring, no built-in effects, no weight relief, etc... The problem is, that though people talk about those things, they aren't very willing to pay for them. It seems that they look to other makers for the new stuff.
This obviously puts the historic brands in a quandary. The old; 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' paradox. :)

The # 1 complaint about todays amps including Marshall's amps even the 20 watt versions are that they are way way too loud. What people request the most is low watt amps ( Not 20 watt 10 watt or even 5 watt) because even cranked 5 watt amps will wake your neighbors . Musicians want a low watt amp that you can play late at night at volume levels that don't wake the entire house but sound every bit as good as their much more powerful siblings.

The only amps that do that perfectly are the Marshall 1 watt JTM, JMP, JCM 800, JCM 2000 and the JVM 1 watt series amps that were released back in 2012 . Every forum I'm a part of says Marshall should make those amps a year round stock item because they would sell millions and millions of them.

They would be priced at approx half of what the SV and SC 20 watt Plexi & JCM 800 would be priced at and sound every bit as good .

The DSL 1 watt sucks and doesn't compare.

Don't believe those 1 watt versions of the JTM, JMP, JCM 800, JCM 2000 and JVM sound absolutely amazing and just as good as their much more powerful brothers listen to the below and judge for yourself.

People would kill to have practice amps that sound this insanely good that you can play at TV volume levels. The below sounds are being played at the 0.3 watt setting . First half of video is the 1 watt JMP Plexi and the 2nd half is the JCM 800 1 watt. They come in combo & head versions and both can be plugged into larger cabinets.

Marshall needs to get going with this before Soldano wakes up and makes an SLO all tube 1 watt head instead of that Solid State toy or the EVH brand makes an Iconic 1 watt all tube head because whatever manufacturer comes out with their versions first will see sales figures that will boggle the mind.

This times infinity. I've owned tons of Marshalls--everything from MGs, to a couple JCM 800s (including a 2205 that I adored)--and I'm just so uninspired by their current lineup. Owned a DSL1HR for a few years, a SV20H for a hot minute, and was left wanting by the SC20. The Origin 20H was semi-interesting at its initial price point, but I really don't think it's more than a $300 amp. I ended up abandoning Marshall for the Friedman camp and I've got zero regrets thus far. Its everything I love(d) about Marshall, but modernized. Honestly, a higher grade 1 watter reissue line might be the only thing that can really get me back.

Last edited:

BigBadOrange

Oooo I got one! Duh, since I have a YJM100 and an AFD100....wtf happened to the awesome built in attenuators!!?!?! They clearly figured out how to do it, why not in any other amps?!?!? So now Ill update my list. 20 watt hand wired JVM with built in attenuator ala YJM or AFD.

dbruno

Been going through the 2022 NAMM videos on Youtube and I'm pretty sure Marshall skipped NAMM this year. Not outside the norm, being that Fender, Gibson, PRS among others are not attending this year.
But, I have been watching carefully with a wallet full of cash for years now. Didn't they skip some random NAMM not that long ago either after or before the Origin Series?.. I wasn't surprised really during lockdown, but assumed like many companies they could focus on a blowing the doors off of a new release of some sort when things got goin again.
Those who skipped this year have been releasing direct to consumers - Marshall? Crickets.

Yes, there were a few 20 watt reissues, but Blackstar's new St. James series is filling the specs I have been waiting on Marshall to do for what seems like forever now. 50 watts, smaller and lighter Head options. That's it.

Is the Origin Series in 2018 the newest amp series Marshall has released "recently"?... Before that Astoria?..

Not shouting at clouds per say, but I am shouting across the pond :drown

If you have a wallet full of cash, why wouldn’t you buy a clean vintage plexi or early 70’s metal face. The investment value alone makes good sense. Even an early vertical panel JCM800 if Master Volumes are your thing.

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
I think Dave Friedman kind of killed off Marshall. I mean Marshall still makes refrigerators and bottle openers, but I am not sure how many big amps they sell?

The fridges and Bluetooth speakers are more profitable than the amps, or so I've been told by a good source.

Jake E. Lynch

This times infinity. I've owned tons of Marshalls--everything from MGs, to a couple JCM 800s (including a 2205 that I adored)--andd I'm just so uninspired by their current lineup. Owned a DSL1HR for a few years, a SV20H for a hot minute, and was left wanting by the SC20. The Origin 20H was semi-interesting at its initial price point, but I really don't think it's more than a $300 amp. I ended up abandoning Marshall for the Friedman camp and I've got zero regrets thus far. Its everything I love(d) about Marshall, but modernized. Honestly, a higher grade 1 watter reissue line might be the only thing that can really get me back.
Pretty much exactly the same for me. I have owned many great Marshalls and played other ones. Among some of the Marshalls I have owned were an original Silver Jubilee head, DSL, YJM100, JVM and others. When I sold my YJM100 I bought a Friedman Small Box head. I got a great deal and figured I would give it a try and sell it if I did not like it. The Small Box is still my main and all time favorite amp and has been since 2014.

RhoadsStudent

If they would release a compact head version of the DSL40CR they'd sell a metric ton of them.
yeah I was just looking into one myself hoping it existed, pretty silly to have only a 20 or 100watt, maybe add 1/4 lines out as well I instead of mini jack one all their amps (would be nice) ..

All in all their prices are unstable

LaXu

Much like Gibson, brands like Marshall have learned that the instrument/amp buying public ( that is to say; the ones who actually plunk down money to purchase products, as opposed to internet posters) actually don't want them to change or add products. They seem to SAY they want new, but they don't actually buy the new stuff. And when Gibson or Marshall do come out with something new, people complain that they are losing their direction (or other some such). This isn't everyone. But actual sales are what tell the companies what the people want or will accept.
Granted, some of the "innovations" companies like Gibson have come up with in the past were really bad ideas. But so many people have become locked into the mystique of the past; P-to-P wiring, no built-in effects, no weight relief, etc... The problem is, that though people talk about those things, they aren't very willing to pay for them. It seems that they look to other makers for the new stuff.
This obviously puts the historic brands in a quandary. The old; 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' paradox. :)

Gibson deserves flack for "innovations" that were solving problems nobody had like the robot tuners. Much of their more modernized options are also built to work with their production systems rather than to be the best solution. Look at e.g the heel on the Modern LP where it's clearly the standard Gibson neck but the body is carved further near the neck joint. It looks ugly. I think their lineup has room for "classic designs with their failure points fixed" as well as "classic designs done like they were historically" to serve both the modern player and the purists.

I feel people nowadays are way more open to modern tech in their amps than they were say 10+ years ago when this whole "handwired, like they used to be made with magic capacitors" nonsense was at its peak. People have realized that hey, having that Two Notes embedded cab sim system adds options to my amp and doesn't take anything away from its analogueness or that power scaling and modern master volumes are pretty convenient. We can now make tube amps that are compact and reasonably light too. Those amps are not made by Fender, Marshall or Vox but brands like Friedman or Victory etc.

Vox is probably the most forward-thinking of the big three and their AC15/30 Custom series has been a big success. At the same time everything else they do has been largely sweeped under the rug and is weird in their lineup like the little Korg NuTube utilizing amps or the MVX series that look decidedly non-Voxy. They seem to do very little to promote these things too.

Fender instead of making tube amps that solve common problems like heavy weight, being too loud or excessively bright at low volume keeps peddling the same old stuff from the 1960s and posits their digital modelers as the modern player's practical option without utilizing the benefits of digital modeling at all.

Marshall is the one sitting the most on their asses. I feel they haven't made a relevant amp since the Vintage Modern and that came out at a time when people were heavily against anything different. I think it would be well received if it came out today. Their digital modeling lineup is outdated and their solid-state amps are crap.

De Batz

This is a great thread. What it basically says is "I want a Marshall, but..."

I'm sorely tempted to go and buy a couple of new Marshalls (say a JTM 45 and a JVM 410, and probably a 4x12 AV) for less than the price of new BE-100 just to make a point.

Simto

They should reissue the AFD100 and YJM100 for the same prices as when they were originally released and sell a billion of them. I don't understand why they don't release them again. It's like they hate money.
Or just copy the Friedman Smallbox and sell it for a little less. Would sell tons of them.

Top Bottom