Is Marshall going to release anything new ever?

US pricing is insane and basically drives Marshall off the US market. It's more or less the equivalent of the Mesa pricing here in Europe. I could buy right now an SV20H for $880 brand-new/free shipping. How much is an SV20H over there?

I'm also pretty sure that if Marshall "re-issued" a YJM100 without the signature it'd sell like hot-cakes with back-orders till the age where the masses start using anti-gravity vehicles.

guitarman3001

US pricing is insane and basically drives Marshall off the US market. It's more or less the equivalent of the Mesa pricing here in Europe. I could buy right now an SV20H for $880 brand-new/free shipping. How much is an SV20H over there?

I'm also pretty sure that if Marshall "re-issued" a YJM100 without the signature it'd sell like hot-cakes with back-orders till the age where the masses start using anti-gravity vehicles.
$1800 USD

tonedover

This Is Fine.
Gold Supporting Member
Marshall : the name of one of music's greatest entrepreneurs, marketers and amp designers

now offering a la Frank Reynolds from IASIP - "feast your eyes on your new business - KEYCHAINS:
2686EEDA-1655-4431-A312-3CF84F07DCDA.png

LaXu

Regarding Marshall vs Friedman:

There are many guys out there who say that Dave's best sounding amps are older modded Marshalls and that his own amps sound a bit too smooth and sometimes have problems to cut through a band mix. The first is certainly a matter of taste.

What I can objectively tell you is that here in Europe - judging by the bestseller tube amp charts Thomann updated on a weekly basis - Marshall amps were the top sellers in the tube amps category by a mile! At least when they were readily available, currently the popular ones are on backorder with estimated shipping times up to a few months.
They certainly sold much much more than Friedman does in Europe - that's not even a contest.

But here's the thing: You can buy a JVM410H 4 channel 100W flagship Marshall head for 1200 Euros new, the small Studio amps for under 800 Euros etc...
A Friedman BE100 is 3880 Euros at Thomann - that's more than 3x the price of a JVM410H.
A Friedman Pink Taco (EL84s) is 1699 Euros - that's more than 2x the price of a SC20 (Mini 800) or SV20 (Mini Plexi) - both with EL34s in the poweramp.

So why should anyone here in Europe buy a Friedman unless he really appreciates Dave's work?
Even if you don't like how a JVM sounds stock, because it's too compressed and tight for your own taste, you can bring it to any amp tech and let him do a couple of simple, well documented mods and you've got a great, versatile Marshall that's just hard to beat.
And no it doesn't has "bad transformers" - the 2203KK which is "the best 800 ever made" for some guys has exact the same transformers.

I'm pretty sure that a lot of people from the US wouldn't bash Marshall if they had the opportunity to buy them for EU prices.
Just imagine you could buy a JVM for $1200 or one of the Studio amps for under $800.

I'm really sorry for you that prices have skyrocketed that much - and yes, THEN the Friedman amps are really a good alternative option.
But to say "Friedman has killed Marshall" is ridiculous imho.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mr Friedman a lot, he makes great amps and seems to be a kind and very helpful guy. And it's certainly his right to charge a premium for his amps.
There's a place for both.
In Europe it's just hard to beat Marshalls pricing and value for money.
Yeah for US folks Friedman is probably a smarter buy whereas us EU folks need to be looking at EU made amps.

For example the made in Finland Bluetone Plexi 25 is 1500 euros and is basically a modernized Marshall Superlead like Friedmans are. Hell, they even make a Friedman style amp if you want the BE voicing instead. Or any combination of whatever they offer since they are a custom shop.

Or you can look at e.g Victory amps for UK made boutique options in lunchbox form factors. Or if you are even more adventurous, the BluGuitar Amp 1 Mercury Edition is so good that I sold my Bogner.

The SV20H with a pretty much required attenuator puts you probably into similar money spent for any good reactive attenuator. Modding a JVM to be less noisy and more classic Marshall voiced is of course an option but I expect most would prefer if Marshall just offered that right out of the box.

The cheaper Marshalls like the DSL40CR are still going to be at the top of best selling simply because of price as they are in a bracket that more people are willing to pay.

Upper Mids

The internet deemed the JVM as a 'failure' and it was truly something new and different in terms of functionality.
What internet is that? Here on TGP you can find several threads singing the praises of the JVM and Marshall-specific message boards are full of people swapping settings and tipps. Every second band playing Hardcore or Metal I've seen over the last decade used JVMs since, as has already been stated, here in Europe they aren't overly expensive. I got mine used for about 550 Dollars — it was the Dave Mustaine sig, they're less popular.

JVM have been anything but a flop and I think people posting on TGP mistake some dude's speech about Friedman / Splawn having replaced Marshall for reality. Look at live videos of all those heavy bands, you'll find that Marshalls are still the most popular amp brand, followed by 5150s and Rectis. And you'll have to look a while before you find anyone playing a Splawn. I don't even know what their logo looks like.

batsbrew

i think marshall has pretty much covered the 'marshall' sound completely.

any new products would be redundant.

now, if they want to define A NEW SOUND....

that might be interesting.

but it seems most people want one of 3 variants typically,
prolly the plexi, jcm or a modern hot rod.

and they've done those to death.

guitarman3001

i think marshall has pretty much covered the 'marshall' sound completely.

any new products would be redundant.

now, if they want to define A NEW SOUND....

that might be interesting.

but it seems most people want one of 3 variants typically,
prolly the plexi, jcm or a modern hot rod.

and they've done those to death.
How about the Marshall sound but with new technology or modern features? Where's the 2-channel 20 watt JCM800? Where's the XLR DI out with decent cab sim? Where's the 20 watt Plexi with PPIMV and a separate clean channel? etc...

And where's the affordable stuff that isn't complete garbage? The Studio series was borderline affordable at $1200 but now it's $1800. No longer affordable to most people.

aequitas

I wish Marshall releases something like a Ceriatone Plexi51 All Access. An ultimate 50w hand wired Plexi with PPIMV and multiple switches. It would be my dream amp.

Moony

You just can't please everyone.

I remember very well that all the years people wanted to have a "Mini 20W Plexi" and a "Mini JCM800". You can look it up in older threads.

Then the Mini Jubilee was released and people complained why not a Plexi or a 800?

then Marshall brought out those two and now it's still not ok... :dunno

I fully understand that people in the US are upset because of the drastic price increase of Marshall amps there. But that's probably not Marshall's (UK) fault.
If they were that greedy they could have bumped up the prices in the UK and EU too.

I also sometimes think that people don't really understand how amps and speakers work.
You just can't get the sound and feel of a cranked 100W Plexi with a tiny 1W amp and a single 10" speaker.
Even a single 12" Greenback in its breakup range is much louder than "TV/bedroom volume".
Once you hear "low end thump" in any YT video (where a cab is mic'ed) the speaker IS moving some air.

atarilovesyou

They won't be anywhere remotely close to 2K . The SV and SC 20 watt Plexi and JCM 800 models are not too far off 2K but are much much cheaper in the UK.
I'm talking for the cost here in my country, and while I hope you're right, I stand by my prediction. Cabinets themselves have doubled in price since then, and the 20 watters cost what a 100 watt JVM 410H cost then as well. So, it's not a number I pulled out of thin air. If there's one thing I know about Marshall in the last 15 years...it's going to cost more than you ever expected.

ccc

I'm talking for the cost here in my country, and while I hope you're right, I stand by my prediction. Cabinets themselves have doubled in price since then, and the 20 watters cost what a 100 watt JVM 410H cost then as well. So, it's not a number I pulled out of thin air. If there's one thing I know about Marshall in the last 15 years...it's going to cost more than you ever expected.

I don't know what country you live in where a 1 watt amp would cost 2K but I feel for you .

atarilovesyou

I don't know what country you live in where a 1 watt amp would cost 2K but I feel for you .
If they reissue them (kinda makes this whole discussion moot), and they make them in England (as the 50th anniversry models were), then that's my estimate.

Yes, the 20W models are 1899 (plus tax) which puts them over 2k...and the 100 watts easily go over $4k (just checked now, made in England of course)...then you get amp makers saying how minimal the difference is in manufacturing for a smaller wattage amp (Friedman most often makes this case)

What I foresee is that any reissue of them won't be made in England, but will still cost at least $1500 if they do. Again...it's just what I expect from Marshall, as a fan and owner of their products who has been following them for many years.

atarilovesyou

What internet is that? Here on TGP you can find several threads singing the praises of the JVM and Marshall-specific message boards are full of people swapping settings and tipps. Every second band playing Hardcore or Metal I've seen over the last decade used JVMs since, as has already been stated, here in Europe they aren't overly expensive. I got mine used for about 550 Dollars — it was the Dave Mustaine sig, they're less popular.

JVM have been anything but a flop and I think people posting on TGP mistake some dude's speech about Friedman / Splawn having replaced Marshall for reality. Look at live videos of all those heavy bands, you'll find that Marshalls are still the most popular amp brand, followed by 5150s and Rectis. And you'll have to look a while before you find anyone playing a Splawn. I don't even know what their logo looks like.

I'm going by what was said in guitar forums if the time back then, and today. As well as the Marshall fan forum. And even within the JVM Forum (now defunct) that had plenty of people throwing shade at the JVM.

Almost all of the complaints being the amount of gain being 'unusable', the often heard shrieking feedback that so many people reported when using the OD channels (and everybody arguing it's a user problem, not the amp...all that back and forth, Ford vs Chevy nonsense)

And that's not mentioning the Satriani model, which further polarized the JVM user group for its own reasons. Sure, today you'll read how great they are, wtc, 'ultimate Marshall' and all that internet jibber jabber, but when they released? People complained abiut the price, then felt shafted if they felt it WAS better for them, but they already bought the standard model.

I owned both (still own the JS) and that's what my perception of the amps were, back then, from spending too much time online. I think they're great, btw.

Basement_Builder

Silver Supporting Member
Wish they would revisit the concept of the Astoria series with better execution.
And a different pricing philosophy.

I had an astoria custom head before realizing that the custom head didn't really have a clean sound - I realized that when I got it and fortunately, got it used.

The new price was literally 50% higher than the same amps in continental europe.

Is that marshall itself or is it a distribution agreement that causes that?

Short Tooth

You just can't please everyone.

I remember very well that all the years people wanted to have a "Mini 20W Plexi" and a "Mini JCM800". You can look it up in older threads.

Then the Mini Jubilee was released and people complained why not a Plexi or a 800?

then Marshall brought out those two and now it's still not ok... :dunno

I fully understand that people in the US are upset because of the drastic price increase of Marshall amps there. But that's probably not Marshall's (UK) fault.
If they were that greedy they could have bumped up the prices in the UK and EU too.

I also sometimes think that people don't really understand how amps and speakers work.
You just can't get the sound and feel of a cranked 100W Plexi with a tiny 1W amp and a single 10" speaker.
Even a single 12" Greenback in its breakup range is much louder than "TV/bedroom volume".
Once you hear "low end thump" in any YT video (where a cab is mic'ed) the speaker IS moving some air.
It's the complete aversion to 50 watts. Or at least in the reissues case. Why not do a 50watt switchable to 20watt?.. I just want a lighter smaller 50 watt option that Mesa and Blackstar seem to understand.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom