Is Marshall phasing out or updating the JVM series?

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member
Sweetwater shows the JVM205H as a long wait from Marshall (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JVM205H). Is it possible they're updating the line or just phasing them out (or maybe that particular model)? Anyone have any insight? Just curious why they'd be a long wait. I know MF and others may have them in stock but just wondering what's up as I'm considering ordering one.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
There's no word on the Marshall amp forum about anything except a new Satriani JVM.

truckin

Silver Supporting Member
Hopefully they go back to building old style simple Marshall amps that rawk!
JVMs actually do rock.... I think. I was deciding on purchasing the 1 watt variation so I tried out a JVM half stack at GC the other day and it was really fun to play. Maybe people just shy away from them because they're PCB and under a grand.

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
Its funny i was just wondering about this the other day

I like the JVMS (owned 2) but its been 10 years and just wondering what Marshall has up their sleeves sooner than later. With all the boutique type amps in recent years i wonder if there was any light bulb with Marshall and putting out a new product sooner than later

:dunno

brk303

JVM is a typical non TGP approved amp, mass produced, cheap and too many knobs. It tries to cover all bases from clean to too much gain, 2-4 channels with 3 modes each.
Too easily dismissed here, but I tell you, it sounds great both at low volume and at gig levels.
The footswitch is best I've ever used, dual master, reverb, parallel and serial loop.
IMHO it's impossible to beat at that price (especially used) for a gigging musician if you're into Marshall sound. It does both vintage and modern well.
It also has a dedicated JVM forum with tons of mods if you want to tailor it to your needs, most involve changing a capacitor or a resistor, so modding costs near to nothing.

I would recommend getting a used one, so you don't void your warranty if you do any mods.

Jchrisf

What do the JVM 205 and 210 usually sell for used? They are hard to find used so I really cannot compare. They seem to be around $1000 from what I see but everyone seems to think they should be around $700

mikebat

JVM is a typical non TGP approved amp, mass produced, cheap and too many knobs. It tries to cover all bases from clean to too much gain, 2-4 channels with 3 modes each.
Too easily dismissed here, but I tell you, it sounds great both at low volume and at gig levels.
The footswitch is best I've ever used, dual master, reverb, parallel and serial loop.
IMHO it's impossible to beat at that price (especially used) for a gigging musician if you're into Marshall sound. It does both vintage and modern well.
It also has a dedicated JVM forum with tons of mods if you want to tailor it to your needs, most involve changing a capacitor or a resistor, so modding costs near to nothing.

I would recommend getting a used one, so you don't void your warranty if you do any mods.
Everybody automatically goes to OD 2 red mode, cranks the gain and wonders why it is noisy.

Tame the presence control, use the amber modes with the gain at noon or below and you are in business.

And I agree, the best footswitching of any amp.

demea26

As a long time cover band guitar player (as well as Marshall player), the JVM410 seemed like a dream come true. Couldn't have been farther from it. Out of all the modes available, I could get two decent sounds and one of them required an OD to boost it. Too compressed, too noisy, and too expensive to have shortcomings. If you put the gain above 4-5 if would feedback like crazy. The thing is, once you dial the gain back too much, the low/low mids would slowly disappear. The cleans were meh and the crunch wasnt crunchy enough. Very disappointed. Thankfully traded it straight up for a Mesa Roadster Head with a remaining warranty :) That was a good 4 channel, multi mode amp

Hefalump

JVMs actually do rock.... I think. I was deciding on purchasing the 1 watt variation so I tried out a JVM half stack at GC the other day and it was really fun to play. Maybe people just shy away from them because they're PCB and under a grand.

I could have bought a BRAND NEW JVM 410H for $1350 on a blow-out sale at the Mall of America GC. I tried it out a few times, has some very nice sounds, BUT.....ultimately I walked away from it for a few GLARING reasons:

1) All the pots on the front panel were FLOATING and not secured to the panel.......they are pcb mounted, AND they snap off very, very easily. To me this is just poor quality.

2) There is a baseline HISS in the OD modes that just irks me.

3) The OD 2 channel is complete garbage......honestly sounds like a cheap crate SS practice amp.

So, not being snobby (I have owned SEVERAL Marshalls, and still do). Yup, you can mod them to fix some of the above issues, BUT, I just bought other amps that I simply think are higher quality and I like better.

There's no word on the Marshall amp forum about anything except a new Satriani JVM.
Whoa....what? That sounds interesting. What changes are they making?

I have a love/hate relationship with the JVM. In general, one of the best feature sets out there and some really good tones are inside, even unmodded. Used prices are very hard to beat. I got a basically brand new JVM205H for $750. That footswitch is awesome. Pick 2 or 3 really good tones and ignore the rest.

Not so awesome is the effects loop. They fixed this on the 410HJS by offering a pure serial loop. Also, noise. Yes, keep the gain down on the orange and red modes but then the tone thins out a good deal. The HJS fixed this by inexplicably ditching the reverb and offering internal noise gates. Really good ones, however why not just fix the underlying noise problem? I have a Splawn that is very high gain and run it without a noise gate. Don't need one.

ken374

I could have bought a BRAND NEW JVM 410H for $1350 on a blow-out sale at the Mall of America GC. I tried it out a few times, has some very nice sounds, BUT.....ultimately I walked away from it for a few GLARING reasons:

1) All the pots on the front panel were FLOATING and not secured to the panel.......they are pcb mounted, AND they snap off very, very easily. To me this is just poor quality.

2) There is a baseline HISS in the OD modes that just irks me.

3) The OD 2 channel is complete garbage......honestly sounds like a cheap crate SS practice amp.

So, not being snobby (I have owned SEVERAL Marshalls, and still do). Yup, you can mod them to fix some of the above issues, BUT, I just bought other amps that I simply think are higher quality and I like better.
I had one a few years ago and noticed that about the pots:( I like my DSL better for tones and sounds good loud!!

Hefalump

I had one a few years ago and noticed that about the pots:( I like my DSL better for tones and sounds good loud!!
I agree 100%. I LOVE my JCM 2000 DSL 100 as well.

PS: Look at the used JVMs on GC's site......you will see some snapped off knobs....very flimsy and pathetic design....They DID fix that flaw at some point and apparently actually do the normal thing now and mount the knobs to the front panel.

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member
I thought I was all set to order the JVM205H but after reading this thread I'm having serious doubts!

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Its funny i was just wondering about this the other day

I like the JVMS (owned 2) but its been 10 years and just wondering what Marshall has up their sleeves sooner than later. With all the boutique type amps in recent years i wonder if there was any light bulb with Marshall and putting out a new product sooner than later

:dunno
Same as well. I've had a couple of JVMJS amps and loved them!

I believe what they are working on is a new Satch combo amp. I doubt they will introduce anything until next Namm. They are running with the new mini jubilee amps and the code series right now.

Salsg

Not getting a bunch of great tones out of a JVM410?
It isn't the amps fault.

It's a great amp, plenty of tones, extremely versatile. And all my guitars sound great thru it.

I would recommend skipping the 2xx series and getting the 4 channel. The clean channel is different and you get OD1 and OD1 which is voiced differently

I sold of a lot of amps after getting a jvm410, including a 6100, jubilee, twin reverb.

Last edited:

Trending Topics