Is much of the Taylor "brightness" in the stock Elixer strings?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by still.ill, Jan 6, 2014.

1. still.ill

still.ill Member

I have a recently purchased 310 with Elixer medium nanowebs so far they still have that brassy metallic tone even after a couple of hours of playing...

My usual go too string on my 110 are D'addario PB 12-56 which settle in nicely

2. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

Taylors are usually much more attenuated in the bass compared with Gibsons, Martins or Guilds. Has to do with their bracing and design, regardless of strings.

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

one guy's "attenuated in the bass" is another guy's "perfectly balanced sound".

also, there are plenty of new taylor variations deliberately tuned to be boomier like martins and such.

i don't see the elixers as being a cause here; if anything, they're a little less bright out of the package than regular strings, with the tradeoff that they mostly stay where they are while the regular strings go totally dead with time.

4. Curt

Curt Member

Martins, Gibsons are Guilds are usually much more attenuated in the highs compared to Taylors.
    Has to do with their bracing and design, regardless of strings. :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  5. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

Apparently Elixirs take a couple of days playing to settle in, give it time.

6. Ogre

Ogre Member

The guitar will sound better if you switch to D'Addario phosphor bronze strings. Just did it right before Christmas with a 3 series Taylor, and the change was markedly better.

7. DRS

DRS Member

I think switching to John Pearse PBs will improve the tone but I have never like Elixir strings. I've played a lot of Taylors, mostly 314s, and I find that they sound bright. Not shrill or anything but they have a clean crisp voice. It works for ensemble playing amplified and especially in the P&W genre where I believe Taylor really took off. I prefer the tone of my Larrivee much more. One has only to play a Martin HD28V and then a Taylor to hear two completely different guitars.

8. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

I've tried DR Rare PB's and Martin medium-lights M545 PB's on my Taylor dread with nice results....

9. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

Well they aren't the only ones. A bunch of brands, do, including Goodall and Lowden, and a bunch of stores then throw them on other brands to keep them fresh on the wall.

Nope. Taylors sound exactly like Bob Taylor wants them to sound. Same with Larrivee, which is more similar to Taylor than Gibson or Martin. Both those guys want a guitar that sounds like the acoustic track on an album post production sounds.

10. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Silver Supporting Member

Interesting statement. Where did you get this information?

11. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I don't recall. They are good buddies and discuss philosophy regularly. The statement wasn't in those exact words, it was more like "People pick up a guitar and play and wonder why it doesn't sound like on the record". So I filled in the blank that they want the guitar to "sound like on the record". Honestly don't remember which one said it. I'm guessing Taylor, since while there are some similarities between the two sonically, Larrivees tone is as much a result of his apprenticeship in the world of, and use of a more nylon string calssical guitar design as it is a philosophical direction.

12. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

This makes a lot of sense, especially for Taylors. Can't say I'm a huge fan of them, although they are growing on me, but that's the best way to describe something about them I've never been able to.

:BluesBros

13. MIX80

MIX80 Member

Definitely try out different strings for sure, but Taylors regardless are designed/braced a little brighter.

14. mischultz

mischultz Member

It's worth noting that Taylors have shipped with 80/20s, rather than PB. Elixir or otherwise, that's a significant choice. They have a new set developed with Elixir, but I'm not entirely clear from the marketing whether new Taylors will ship with 80/20s or PBs in the new gauge. I do believe their voicing benefits from phosphor bronze strings, again regardless of manufacturer. John Pearse are particularly well-suited for my personal taste, but I'll grab at least one set of the new Taylor/Elixir PBs when they're available. Curious...

15. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

PB's.

16. mischultz

mischultz Member

Excellent. I really do believe the 80/20s color people's first interaction and perception of the brand, and not in a great way. They're certainly voiced differently but I think folks would be less quick with bright/thin if they heard them without the stock sets.

17. facesfan

facesfan Member

These guitar makers who use coated strings and such aren't doing themselves any favors as they usually sound like crap. There's only one great string and that's D'Addarrio PHBRZ. The absolute worst strings are those Martins with the bronze colored E and B. Ever do a spring test with those and a D'Add? Take the strings when coiled up and press them then unwind them and take your two hands,close together,like you're trying to break them in half and flex them. The Martins are stiff as a board and the D'Adds are flexible and slinky. What do you think those stiff Martins are doing to your fingertips and joints? Get hip people,treat yourself good and extend your playing days by using the flexible and non-abusive D'Addarrio PHBRZ. The Elixer are sonic garbage but hey,they last longer,or so they say. Never did the flex test with them but I bet not as good as the d'Adds.

18. McStrats

McStrats Member

My Martin 000-16, and D-1, sound quite different with Elixir Poly Web's than they did with non-coated strings. I wouldn't say brighter, but definitely more inclined not to lose high end as the strings age.

I think the job of a string is preserve what is already there.

19. Dereksslide

Dereksslide Member

No worries.

So you have proof, not just some random fella on the internet saying so:

http://www.elixirstrings.co.uk/hdlight/

"Andy and the rest of the product development team liked them so much that they made the decision to install the Phosphor Bronze sets on all of Taylor's steel-string models for 2014."

20. joeprs

joeprs Member

MF has them. This is the gauge of the original strings, 12-16-24-32-42-53, this is the gauge of the new HD 013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053. As you can see, the high e, b, g are .001 thicker which will change the sound slightly. I'm curious if I have to do a set-up for such a minor change in gauge?http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/elixir-nanoweb-hd-light-80-20-acoustic-guitar-strings (new strings) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/elixir-light-nanoweb-acoustic-guitar-strings old strings