Is my DOD Rubberbeck messed up?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JayRobIBZ, Oct 4, 2018.

1. JayRobIBZ

JayRobIBZ Supporting Member

I got in on the latest round of cheap Rubbernecks from ProAudioStar. It arrived yesterday and I’ve been messing around with it.

Here is some odd behavior I am wondering about:

1) The repeated tones are quite distorted even with the gain knob all the way down. I know this is an analog delay and it won’t do pristine reproduction but something seems off here. The repeats are quite grainy and clipped with the knob all the way down. There is basically no usable setting past zero.

2) Very slow self ossilation at less than half repeat settings. There is a constant rhythmic beat at the tempo even with the guitar volume turned off. It will gradually rise in volume over time as it feeds back into its self. I have to turn the pedal off every 60 seconds or so to knock the volume down.

3) The modulation rate and depth seems too extreme past about 1 o’clock. The effect is just too intense. It is very hard to dial in a nice subtle tale echo type warble.

4) Hooked up to my tap tempo via ES8, the pedal will receive the tempo but then the regen light comes on solid and the pedal is stuck in a single repeat mode dispite what the repeat knob is set at. I have to hold down the tempo/regent knot to enter regen and then back out before the repeats will come back and then it is synchro to the time knob, not the tapped tempo.

What’s going on here????

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  2. rhyming_orange

rhyming_orange Member

With the exception of #3 (I also find the modulation a little much past noon on the dial), none of those really sound like my experience with the Rubberneck, although I did have a “holy crap is this broken?” moment early on when I had the switch for the dry signal turned off, and I was only getting the wet signal.

I also got one from that sale, but maybe there were a few lemons in the batch. My sympathies!

3. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

It doesn’t sound as good as the Xvive delay.

4. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Make sure your giving it enough voltage, all those new DOD pedals have pretty high draw, and typical power supplies often aren’t up to spec

5. urQuill

urQuill Member

Enough current, is the thing. Just 9V for the Rubberneck, but it needs 180mA, which is unusual. Your descriptions sound just like the same problems others have had using power supplies with 100mA outlets. Maybe check that first.

6. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 Member

Yes, its broken. I got one from an earlier Prostar Audio blowout. Had similar problem to yours. Super distorted forests no matter what. I want the only one whose pedal reacted that way. Exchanged it as broken for another one. The new one worked as expected. Hassle free exchange other than that it was slow due to them not having any replacements in stock. All the guys I talked to on the phone were helpful.

Snail likes this.
  7. JayRobIBZ

Thanks for the input. ProAudioStar is going to do an exchange. I just wanted to verify that I wasn’t misjudging the pedal before giving them a call.

Vhailor and urQuill like this.
  8. JayRobIBZ

That is good to hear. They are doing an exchange for me, which is great, but I am a little bummed that I can use it this Sunday! Oh well.

StickyWicket520 likes this.
  9. JayRobIBZ

It is being powered by a Strymon Zuma. I will try a separate power supply before boxing it back up. Thanks!

urQuill likes this.
  10. urQuill

urQuill Member

There are a LOT of pedals out now that need more than 100mA, I’ve been surprised by this a couple times. I have an analog stereo chorus that sounds terrible unless it gets plugged into a 200mA outlet, and another pain-in-the-neck reverb/delay that needs 425mA ... it can be a set-back. Hoping that’s all it is with yours, but it’s good to read that ProAudioStar is doing exchanges where necessary. It’s a nice delay!

11. JayRobIBZ

My Empress Reverb is very finicky about power supply. The Zuma puts out 500mA on every output so I doubt power supply is the issue with the Rubberneck.

ericb likes this.
  12. urQuill

urQuill Member

I hadn’t looked into the Zuma before, that’s definitely enough power. Quite the power supply, is it as quiet in practice as they claim? Anyway, it’s looking like your delay needs an exchange ... hope it goes smoothly and quickly.

13. ssonar

ssonar Member

If you're using the really slow delay times the quality does degrade.

It kicks in when you start getting out of the short time ranges offered by typical analog delays. So be sure & check if the "distorted" sound quality improves if you use it like a slapback echo.

14. Bogner

Bogner Member

The Zuma is dead quiet. Best power source out there IMO. Big Big fan of it!

15. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Damn this thread because now you got me wondering if mine is broken. I got a closeout one from PAS too and after lusting so long for one, I'm very unimpressed. I can't tell if I just don't like it or if there is something amiss with it. I've played it a few times and it's been sitting in the box for weeks now, which is unlike me. I used a separate pedal supply for it as well. For the peeps who had issues, was yours the "bate" model?

On a Budget likes this.
  16. Skiptrip

Skiptrip Supporting Member

I also took a chance and have a Rubberneck in the mail. A bit worried about getting a defective unit, but glad to know ProAudioStar is doing hassle-free exchanges. Please keep us posted.

17. JayRobIBZ

“Bate” model... I’ve heard this term tossed around a few times but I don’t know what it means. I don’t really want to dig through the last few threads to find out.

Can someone fill me in?

EDIT: I see it now... a misprint on the Rubberneck Rate type.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    MoarGear and DonaldDemon like this.
  18. slimefuzz

slimefuzz Member

I got mine yesterday, and same issue: sounds like gain is way too high when at zero, tone at noon, so clean guitar repeats are distorted.
    I was hoping to master the bate control, but now more delayed gratification...

Don Rusk likes this.
  19. Matt Rain

Matt Rain Supporting Member

Mine's slowly making its way up here, hope it's ok.

I had that mastered at age 11.

What?

MoarGear likes this.
  20. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

First off, try it in front of a clean amp. Does it sound blah or ok or great? Mine sounds absolutely great, I mean REALLY GREAT. Used in the fx loop of high gain amps though I don't really like it as a main delay. On mine the oscillation is incredible and the sound fx, but I wouldn't use as a main delay. Mine says 'Rate' btw. . What symptoms does yours have?

Eric

Snail and MoarGear like this.