Is my DOD Rubberbeck messed up?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JayRobIBZ, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Rydock

Rydock Member

Repeats should be pretty clean with the gain at 0 and shouldn’t oscillate that early. About the modulation: I also found it to be very extreme with anything above 9:00. I set depth to 9:00 and speed to 8:00, and just leave it there for a subtle tape warble.

rhyming_orange likes this.
  2. Skiptrip

Skiptrip Supporting Member

Mine arrived yesterday, just as I was walking out the door, but it was new in the box. I plugged it in briefly before leaving and it appears to work well. I'll report back, if that's not the case, but at this point, a great price ($148.26 including tax and shipping) on a nice analog delay! Thanks for the PSA!

3. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

It's a real shame there isn't some sort of Digitech representative here that we could just tag and ask these questions. That is a pretty wild idea, I know.

MoarGear, Sam Xavier and Rydock like this.
  4. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

This thread made me plug mine in to be sure. Only had it for about a month or so, and figured that the reason mine didn’t sound quite right is because I still don’t fully understand the thing.

After plugging it in and making sure all was well, yup, it’s still all me.

But I’m very grateful to have it!

5. StickyWicket520

StickyWicket520 Member

Mine was. The replacement wasn't. I was a little bummed as i liked Bate. :(

6. JayRobIBZ

JayRobIBZ Supporting Member

Is there? I can’t tell if you are being serious or sarcastic?

7. PedalCrazyFool

PedalCrazyFool Member

I can’t imagine who (*kaff, kaff, cough, Tom, kaff*) he has in mind...

jquanmusic likes this.
  8. rhyming_orange

rhyming_orange Member

Tom’s a TGP treasure, but with all due respect he shouldn’t be forced to be tech support for a company that fired him. I’m grateful he does it selflessly like he does, but one would think that if Digitech is still selling effects they should get an online rep who checks in here sometimes, if nothing else than to assure us that they’re not shutting the doors anytime soon and people can buy their pedals with confidence.

Just sayin’...

4b454e, MoarGear, urQuill and 3 others like this.
  9. oildrops

oildrops Supporting Member

Most of your issues could be caused by not having enough current to power the effect. If you are daisy chaining, or not plugged into the high current part of a VL PP2+, it will have those issues.

The modulation on the pedal is extreme. If you set the rate high, you can put the depth a bit higher without if sounding too warped. I've found your standard analog delay tones are found with the dials all pretty low.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    MoarGear, Tom Von Kramm and ericb like this.
  10. jquanmusic

jquanmusic Member

I was never implying that Tom should chime in. More that Dod/DigiTech made a horse sh¡t desicion.

11. urQuill

urQuill Member

Was just dropping in to suggest that that barb was likely pointed at Digitech/Harman/Sony, and in its irony was actually celebrating Tom’s on-going but now redirected wonderfulness. Though you still see him dropping in to help out with Digitech stuff.

12. Erik N

Erik N Member

The timeknob on my Rubberneck doesn’t work. If I dial in the longest delay time, the pedal switches off. The delay time doesn’t change at all, other than using the tap tempo. I have it connected to a 300mA output on a Cioks DC5.

13. fishlog

fishlog Member

Wow just amazing how many of these seem to be bad out of the box. DOD is my favorite pedal company... Shame Harmon closed shop on them .

That being said I have one of the Rubberneck and it works just fine but but there are a few weird things about it that always have me scratching my head .

1) Power supply input is a very loose connection and wiggles. When ever I hear a pop or static I always am looking to see if some how the power supply came loose or moved.

2) those temporary switches are a real pain in the butt.

3) I find it odd how low all the settings have to be for the pedal to be usable. For example my repeats knob has to be set under 9 o'clock or it just way to much going on a little beyond that say at 11 o'clock its runaway self oscillation . So it just seems there's a lot of unusable settings. A lot of space on those dials you can't even use .

4) the power draw requirement is a real bummer.

Besides that killer pedal for the price. The repeats do sound really nice specially with the gain up on them a bit.

If I had to do it again I would.

14. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

I've occasionally seen this complaint it is entirely due to the interaction of the gain and tone. For example I usually have my gain all the way counter-clockwise and my tone at noon, and my repeats are set @ 2:00.

Each cool feature and every UI indicator (LED) is controlled by a micro, it needs juice. The Rubberneck wouldn't exist without the micro, so TANSTAAFL.

I really hate these blowout prices, like really, really, hate them. The Rubberneck was a killer pedal for the $249 price. Now the blowout pricing just devalues what we did, and gets a fairly complex pedal in the hands of people who don't understand it. I've seen a bunch of comments and questions from people who clearly didn't read the manual, and who clearly don't understand gain structure, and they bought way over their heads.

Welp, not my problem now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    AXXA, 4b454e, lefort_1 and 10 others like this.
  15. fishlog

fishlog Member

I wish it was your problem. You did a great great job over there.
    Interesting what you said about the gain and it totally makes sense! But those repeats with that gain... Oh so good .

Power supply I can live with...

You're right about the price. Totally devalues the pedal. It's worth 250 or even 300. The DMM TT1100 was selling for like 400? The rubberneck is easily a rival.

On a side note Tom the Bifet boost... The DOD 440... My new favorite pedal. Better than the vintage ones which I own one of.

Snail and Tom Von Kramm like this.
  16. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

I have the #2 issue of the repeats reaching a low level noise, but only notice it when all other pedals are off. Doesn't really bother me. I'm powering it off a 200 ma cs6 truetone. Mine was also from proaudio star.

17. Matt Rain

Matt Rain Supporting Member

I keep seeing stock at proaudiostar and I'm trying hard not to impulse-buy a second one. This thing will be a cult classic in 10 years.

18. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

I know there are expenses for import taxes, shipping and so forth but the best price for the Rubberneck in the UK is at Andertons and equates to $237.58. :(

19. MoarGear

MoarGear Member

I'm offering $25 for all "broken" ones.

20. Boiller

Boiller Member

Thomann had them at 130€ or so for their blowout. With those floating around, I've seen some on Reverb for about the same. I managed to snag a second one for 100€.