Is my guitar a dud?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BDUNN, Sep 5, 2008.

1. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

I bought a used mid 70's ibanez les paul junior copy a few months back for about 400 bucks. I have done the following to it to make it playable etc:
    -all new electronics.. everything
    -all new hardware.. everything
    -new frets
    -new nut
    basically the only original parts are the wooden ones... Anyway this guitar will not stay in tune for anything! It sounds amazing but as I play it I find that I am literally tuning the damn thing every couple of minutes... it is driving me f*cking crazy. Is there a chance that this thing is just a dud... Is there anything that I can do? is there a chance that the nut just needs some lube? I havent tried that yet.

2. Peeb

Peeb Member

The nut may be mis-cut and/or in need of some Big Bends Nut Sauce.

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

how much do you stretch the strings after putting them on?

When I change strings, I tune the guitar to pitch. Then one at a time, grab each string at the twelfth fret, then pull it a good 2-3 inches up away from the fret board. Yank it about 3 times. Retune the guitar to pitch. Repeat for 6 times.

Lube the nut, graphite from rubbing a mechanical pencil in the string slot works fine.

Make sure you have about 3 wraps around the tuning pegs, even if they are locking shafts. You should have one under and the rest over the string going into the hole.

good luck. throw a picture of your guitar up on the board. i didn't know ibanez made a les paul jr copy, I have never seen one. My first solid body was a ibanez les paul standard copy, with the open book headstock shape.

4. Lewkk

Lewkk Member

Old Ibanez are pretty revered, congrats!
    Assuming the neck isn't moving, the machine heads aren't slipping and the strings are being put on right a good nut cut should solve any issues.

5. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

Here it is (on the left). It has a gibson logo on the headstock but it is an ibanez.
    [​IMG]

6. gvonpaul

gvonpaul Member

Happened with an old SG I had. Turned out there was a fine crack in the neck that I couldn't see.

7. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

How did you figure it out?

8. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Hope you figure it out but if not I would just
    BDUNN with it.

9. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

last resort, locking tuners (gotoh locking kluson replicas) and lube the nut.

if that fails.. i don't know what else to do..

10. gvonpaul

gvonpaul Member

Took it to a shop finally and the tech found it.

11. Roo_D

Roo_D Supporting Member

Assuming all the more or less "controllable" factors are working I.E. good tuning keys, bridge/saddles, nut, strings, frets, etc. and you've done your intonation properly if it's still not responding you could indeed have a structural issue which may or may not be easily identifiable (visually that is) and it could also be acting stubborn due to extreme temperature variations or a combination of both. I used a '59 Jr. for years (with an intonatable replacement bridge) that had a well repaired crack on the headstock when I got it. It stayed in tune just fine except when there were extreme temp changes generally change of season type stuff. The older it got the more fickle it seemed at these times so I eventually retired it. It wouldn't hurt to have someone who knows the type well (Gibson Specials, Jr.'s, SG's etc.) have a good look at it.

12. Brett Faust

Brett Faust Member

I did a refret on a LP custom a while back .The guitar came to me without strings on it .After the fretwork was done I went to tune it up and it would not tune for beans.
    Turned out the fretboard had seperated from the shaft of the neck starting at the nut and extending to the 4th fret or so .This gap allowed the neck to flex open at the seam of the fretboard.I glued it back ,tuned it and it played like butter after that.My customer never told me it had a failed seam,...surprise!
    Could this be happening somewhere on the neck of your guitar?
    good luck.

13. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Call it a day.

14. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I am going to try some nut sauce today and restring it (again) and see how she does... I cant just give up on it yet!!;)
    When I restring it I will also examine it for cracks separation etc.
    Thanks again.

15. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Don't know about Ibanez, but keeping those particular older model Gibson LP's in tune was always a problem... any pressure on the neck (a little push forward or a pull back) would get them slightly out of tune... it has to do with flexibility in the body/neck union where the fretboard meets the body... (keep that nut well lubricated.)

16. chaz

chaz Member

FWIW I had an older Gibson Lester that would go out of tune just looking at it! Applied 'nut sauce' and it immediately worked flawlessly. Amazing how much trouble a nut can cause!

17. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Have an Epi that has been bad since 1995. Nut job this year fixed it. Got a new PRS Mira with the same problem. Little nut lube and it stays in tune.

18. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

I think that is very un-cool, and there will come a time that the guitar will be sold AS a Gibson, Maybe not by you, but somewhere down the line.

So I say it's the bad mojo of the fake logo that won't let the guitar stay in tune. Remove it, and the guitar will be fine! :rotflmao

That's my $.02 worth

19. Buddy Boy

Buddy Boy Member

:stir:argue:Spank:messedup

20. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

I appreciate your concern, and I guess I agree. FWIW I would have rather it had the orginal "ibanez" logo on it. I doubt I will sell but if I do I will probably try to get the gibson logo off and let the old one shine through.