Is my guitar tone terrible on this track?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by squeally dan, May 11, 2019.

1. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

First of all, best wishes for your daughter as she starts her lifelong experience with JD.
    We are so much better off now over 50 years ago, when I nearly lost one of my best friends to JD.

.... and just to give the OP some s!!t, you outta know better than to ask a wide open forum of narrow-toaned players the question:
    Does this make my tone look big?
    Critiquing 'the mix' on computer speakers feeding off compressed audio formatting is kinda dodgy, at best.

You'll get 10 less-than-constructive answers for each Lucidology-like one.

I might add that, if you plan to share the frequency spectrum (or if the gear demands it, which is sometimes the case) then the group might consider doing something stylistically to break up the points of collision. I'd use some old Brand X as an example : Percy Jones and John Goodsall both occupy some of the same soundspace, but Jones' use of a wee tiny bit of filter (not the wide open filter pops, but just the gentle droning slow open/closes you here) can give a movement to the bass' spectrum-emphasis** that breaks things up a bit.
    Or in first vid of post #19, since you've got keys available, you might consider using a bit of synth-brass to execute some of the scratch-guitar work... of course, I'm a big fan of old Tower of Power and used to play in a band that played such stuff, so I'm a bit biased there. But it would keep the fundamentals that the guiyar is playing and add in the higher register overtones that makes-brass-brass and therefore cut down on the congestion.
    I guess my thoughts go more to composition as opposed to 'what pedal do I need?' or 'is my Dumble showing? ...Enough?'.

Overall, good work, good tunes, a fine groove.
    .... geez, this is kinda sorta like asking for medical advise over in the Pub... talk about needing filters!!

Let me know when the pay wall is up for the tunes, and I'll contribute, happily.

** not sure how else to describe how a filter changes' influence what we hear...

Tele666 and squeally dan like this.
  2. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

The Boom Boom Room by Hunter Copeland
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-boom-boom-room/1463302490

3. dcbc

dcbc Member

Tone is great on both. For the style of music, I think the guitar should be a bit further up in the mix (like the second track). But it sounds stupendous either way.

squeally dan likes this.
  4. lefort_1

Huh... iTunes doesn't advert that proceeds go to a charity?
    That's kind of counter-productive/not very altruistic of them.

Ill get Jan to DL them thru her apple-tv box.... the only apple iDevice we gotz.

5. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I’m going to deliver funds to the local chapter instead of getting iTunes involved.

Coli likes this.
  6. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thank you for listening and providing feedback.

7. CDP

CDP Member

The guitar tone is good. But like many have already said, I really don't like the bass tone at all.

8. 6789

6789 Member

Guitar was fine. I’m not a fan of the loud, bright, buzzy, clanky bass.

macdolfan904 likes this.
  9. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thanks for the feedback

10. macdolfan904

macdolfan904 Member

Without reading the other comments so far, I really like the guitar tone for the song. (better than your other post about Oregon Player). :D

On this song, I really, REALLY don't care for the bass tone.

I really like the groove and feel of the song overall. And I totally dig the record it live and leave it vibe. I wish more bands did that. It has soul and feel. Good work!

11. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Really appreciate the feedback

12. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Finally got a link set up:
    https://www.huntercopeland.com/music/

The proceeds will go to juvenile diabetes in honor of my youngest daughter.

13. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Finally got a link set up:
    https://www.huntercopeland.com/music/

The proceeds will go to juvenile diabetes in honor of my youngest daughter.

R3deemed likes this.
  14. lefort_1

WHOA !!! HEY !!! SMALL WORLD !!!
    The surprise is in the Spoiler:

I didn't know you knew Bobby Blount !!!

He hangs at the same, tiny, X-HCFX forum I do ( founded back in about 2008.)... intermittently.
    So very cool to find a connection via the nets.
    Tell him Blind Doc Jones says "Hi".

....jeez, I shoulda made the Huntsville connection. :facepalm

Since I don't stream music (I know, ancient attitudes die slowly and sadly) or use personal music devices...
    Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to donate... I picked up a tee.
    Is there a streaming source where I don't have to sell my soul? I am an Amazon Primate, but I don't want to aaaahhhh what the hell, I"ll Ama-stream it to the TV or some black hole.

Anyway, small world.

EDIT L oh dbl-carp.... now I see the buy-music button... but I think I blew up yer site when I tried to buy the shirt...there's a giant, smoking hole in the Tab where your site used to be. I have that affect on computers... former software QA engineer/destructive test.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    R3deemed likes this.
  15. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Very cool. I love Bobby. He’s a great dude, great player, and great songwriter.
    You in fact did not blow up the site. Thanks for the donation and I’ll get the cd/merch to you.

Coli likes this.
  16. Digidog

Digidog Member

Really good songs! Great playing on all fronts! I really liked this.

My opinion is that the mixing is a little crude compared to the smooth character of both the instrumental sounds and the songs. The guitar is almost too polite at some points, while at the same time being too articulated, while the drums lie very tight to the listener all the time. The organ in the first song, was a tad to heavy in the mix for me, and the horns in the second song could have been more evenly balanced with the string-sounds in some parts.

Concerning the performance, I'd love to have a more dynamic guitar that is not always so articulated. That the guitar moved in the songs from soft and clear, to more prominent, more aggressive and less chiseled out in the playing in some parts. I dig what the horns do, and I dig the organ in the first song, but I am not too fond of carpets-of-strings, so I would have cut back on that in favour of horns, organs and Rhodes (I love the Rhodes sound) and the guitar.

squeally dan likes this.
  17. mikebat

mikebat Member

I think sounds pretty damn good. I think the repetitive popping bass line with the sharp tone he dialed in gets a little too much. It sounds great in your solo when he is playing finger style.

As for your tone, I think it is an appropriate rounded type HB tone. If you contrast, I say a neck strat tone would work.

Good stuff

18. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Thank you for the feedback. It is helping me plan for the next one.
    This track was actually a tele neck pickup. I love the versatility of a tele. This entire cd was recorded on one tele except for a single solo that I used a strat on.

19. mikebat

mikebat Member

Crazy eh, the Tele is the chameleon of guitars. The only guitar that I use the tone controls to a useful effect.

Overall, it sounds like a live recording and that is cool. If you want it to sound more like a record, you will need to reign in the peaks and add some ear candy.

squeally dan likes this.
  20. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

I dig it Hunter- great original tunes!!! It grooves and has elegance
    ( not shocked at all..!) I am with macdolfan904's comments
    I will be making some purchases / look forward to catching you cats out somewhere! Great idea for such an important cause; well done