Is my mullard dead if there is no Flash?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Igneous, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Igneous

Igneous Member

I dont have a tester available to me. I have three Mullard 12ax7's and one of them doesnt flash.

The two that do are from the blackburn factory from the codes however the other doiesnt have any code on the back and has a BVA logo and says "foreign made"
    is it possible this is achinese copy or something?

Thanks for your time--IG

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

If you're getting enough heater voltage to that socket, then it may be the tube. Working but old testers can be found on eBay for a small outlay many times.

3. Igneous

Igneous Member

Thx guys. The tube seems fine audibly. Maybe on its way out though? who knows.

who can find the cheapest NOS(NIb) mullard?? just curious...

4. saros141

saros141 Guest

Some Mullards flash, some don't. Same for Dutch-made Amperex or Philips. AFAIK it's no indication of tube strength or life left.

A couple years ago I lucked into a partially empty bulk tray of NOS Rogers 12AX7s, they were about half and half British (Mullard Blackburn) and Dutch (Heerlen), according to the acid-etched codes, and same dates. I went through and tested them all - some flashed brightly, some dimly, some not at all.

5. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have a stash of over 150 used, NOS and NIB preamp tubes including lots and lots of Mullards but I ain't parting with them :)

My amps are slowly being reduced to a list of 8-11 keepers but my tube stash has grown :rolleyes:

I only have two 6V6 amps anymore and I have probably 50 - 60 various 6V6 tubes, many perfectly matched pairs of some of the finest 6V6 tubes ever made, all vintage. But I can't sell them! :rolleyes:

I'm not a tube snob. I'm a bona fide tube whore :)

6. Igneous

Igneous Member

Me too. My girl will never understand....