Is my pickup "bad" now?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by guitarslinger21, Feb 17, 2009.

1. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

I have an old DImarzio HS2 stack.

When my strings touch the pole pieces, it cuts out completely.

I'm guessing the coil is making physical contact with the pole piece.

This is pickup needs to be rebuilt, right?:confused:

2. benjammin420

benjammin420 Member

i cant say anything about the technical side, but the strings shouldnt be touching the pickups (that may be the problem, or a whole different problem)

3. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Is this pickup connected "backwards", possibly done for phase considerations? If this were the case, and the insulation on the coil breaks down, this can happen. Normally, the inside of the coil is the ground side of the coil. If the insulation breaks down, and the coil comes in contact with the polepiece, it is no big deal, because it is the ground side. The strings are already grounded, so if the string comes in contact with the pole piece, the resulting short that would occur won't really do anything, since that is the ground side, anyway. But if the pickup is connected "backwards", when the string -- which is still grounded -- comes in contact with the polepiece -- which is in contact with the hot side of the coil -- the resulting short will cut the pickup out.