Is my Suhr Reactive Load broken or is it a cable?

jamminoutloud1

Silver Supporting Member
I've relocated to a new space for Covid. I'm trying to do some recording for the first time today in months with my Suhr RL.

The chain is Suhr Bella into my Suhr RL via Live Wire elite speaker cable. From there, Unbalanced balanced 1/4 (regular 6 foot or 10 foot mogami instrumental cable) out to my apollo twin X.

Okay, so the bella is completely off. When plugged into the Hi Z of my interface, I get a ton of noise. I then pull out the cable out of the output of the RL, and when I make certain contact with the end of the cable in my hand, the noise stops. So that leads me to believe it's the cable.

But when I plug it into the RL, and i turn the output knob up and down it gets louder and softer as well when I move the knob. When I touch the RL in a certain spot with my hand the noise stops.

Anyone experience this? Am I using a wrong type of cable? Any help would be most appreciated!

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
Check your interface, plug something else in to it. Start there.

But how do you know if the RL is not working if the Bella is off?

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
I did. When I plug into the Hi Z with just my guitar it's fine. That's why I'm confused if my Suhr RL is broken or if it just doesn't like this cable?
assuming you have the RL connections correct?

John suhr will probably pipe in here.

Husky

Sounds to me like the lid is not grounded correctly if you touch a screw and the noise goes away. You could try an XLR to stereo and go in to the line in.

Also make sure it is away from interference, AC cables etc
Contact CS and we can check it for you.

I've relocated to a new space for Covid. I'm trying to do some recording for the first time today in months with my Suhr RL.

The chain is Suhr Bella into my Suhr RL via Live Wire elite speaker cable. From there, Unbalanced balanced 1/4 (regular 6 foot or 10 foot mogami instrumental cable) out to my apollo twin X.

Okay, so the bella is completely off. When plugged into the Hi Z of my interface, I get a ton of noise. I then pull out the cable out of the output of the RL, and when I make certain contact with the end of the cable in my hand, the noise stops. So that leads me to believe it's the cable.

But when I plug it into the RL, and i turn the output knob up and down it gets louder and softer as well when I move the knob. When I touch the RL in a certain spot with my hand the noise stops.

Anyone experience this? Am I using a wrong type of cable? Any help would be most appreciated!

jamminoutloud1

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds to me like the lid is not grounded correctly if you touch a screw and the noise goes away. You could try an XLR to stereo and go in to the line in.
Contact CS and we can handle that for you.
Thanks John. Is customer service easy to reach now? I'll call them today if so. Also, this doesn't sound like a cable issue to you, correct?

Husky

Thanks John. Is customer service easy to reach now? I'll call them today if so. Also, this doesn't sound like a cable issue to you, correct?
A mono cable should work fine in to the high Z if this is the non IR version. The IR version has balanced line drivers and is low impedance so that would go in to the line in.
If it is oscillating or making a weird noise it could be an issue with the paint on the lid not making a good ground contact. You should try the XLR to stereo 1/4 in to the line input and see if that is any different, at least you will be canceling noise being balanced. CS is answering via emails. I'd need to know more information to try and diagnose but best thing to do is get a hold of them through the contact on the website and we can look at it. You could of course try another instrument cable.

Im not sure of the exact issue though, when you pull a cable from the interface it will be noisy because its an open connection. Also make sure the amp is properly grounded to the wall 3rd pin.

Togeto

Hello, I seem to have a similar issue. I got my Suhr RL IR today and connected everything as explained in the manual. My current signal chain: Guitar -> H&K amp -> RL -> Focusrite Scarlet interface.
I am noticing a weird noise if I try to record something and arm the track. It's a hiss or electrical noise but it's common from the speakers and not the normal mechanical operating noise. I am now also wondering if there is something wrong with the cables but when I go directly to the interface with the same cables everything is fine.

I use a normal instrument cable from the RL output to the interface. I appreciate your help. Thanks

cs@suhr.com

Hello, I seem to have a similar issue. I got my Suhr RL IR today and connected everything as explained in the manual. My current signal chain: Guitar -> H&K amp -> RL -> Focusrite Scarlet interface.
I am noticing a weird noise if I try to record something and arm the track. It's a hiss or electrical noise but it's common from the speakers and not the normal mechanical operating noise. I am now also wondering if there is something wrong with the cables but when I go directly to the interface with the same cables everything is fine.

I use a normal instrument cable from the RL output to the interface. I appreciate your help. Thanks
Hi there. Please feel free to reach out to our support team. Perhaps you can send us a quick audio clip of the sound. Our first suggestion would be to try a balanced 1/4" TRS cable between the RLIR and audio interface.

https://www.suhr.com/support-contact/

Togeto

Hi there. Please feel free to reach out to our support team. Perhaps you can send us a quick audio clip of the sound. Our first suggestion would be to try a balanced 1/4" TRS cable between the RLIR and audio interface.

https://www.suhr.com/support-contact/
Thanks a lot for the quick response. I will try this soon. Could you maybe explain why using an unbalanced cable might be problematic. I thought using an unbalanced cable for the unbalanced output of the RLIR should be fine. But I will try it with a balanced cable before reaching out to the support. Thanks

Trending Topics