Is My Vibro Champ Vibro-ing Properly?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by turdadactyl, Oct 10, 2008.

1. turdadactyl

turdadactyl Member

I just got a 1966 Fender Vibro Champ in a trade. I LOVE the tone. I'm not too worried about the vibrato as I'll be using it more for Jimmy Page type tones, but the vibrato seems to be VERY subtle...to the point where you actually have to listen pretty closely to hear it. Is this the way it should sound? I'm used to my mid-70's Twin Reverb which could make you seasick with its vibrato. Thoughts from any Vibro Champ owners would be appreciated.

2. pitner

pitner Member

Check the tubes. My son picked up a princeton the other day with origonal tubes and a quick swap brought the tremelo back to life. I think its a 12AX7 which is very common.

3. Puckman

Puckman Member

I had a similar problem with my Deluxe Reverb recently. I had swapped in new tubes, and my Vibrato practically disappeared. After thinking it might have been the footswitch that was broken (vibrato is turned on only if you have the footswitch plugged in on a DRRI) it turned out to be my tube swap. Put a different 12AX7 in the V5 spot (after a quick google search determined the only function of V5 on DRRIs is Vibrato) and all was well. Might be something similar you're experiencing.

4. turdadactyl

turdadactyl Member

Thanks. I'll try throwing a new tube in there. Kinda surprised it doesn't use a 12AT7 like a reverb unit.

5. Puckman

Puckman Member

Well, make sure you check the schematics for which tube handles the Vibrato on that amp. I don't know off the top of my head for Vibro champs.

6. mrface2112

mrface2112 Member

if it's got a 12at7 in there now, that could be the issue. i tried a mullard 4024 (12at7) i had on hand in mine at one point and there was no tremolo at all.

this one likes a 12ax7 for the tremolo circuit.

cheers,
    wade

7. turdadactyl

turdadactyl Member

While we're on the topic, I'm kinda curious to hear the reactions about how I came to own this amp...

I traded:

an early-to-mid 70's (somewhere between 1973 and 1976) Fender Twin Reverb with push-pull master, original footswitch and replaced speakers

for

a 1966 Fender Vibro Champ with a replaced speaker and $100 cash.

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

true... though IIRC the DRs are known for more of a ticking & less luscious vibrato than the VibroChamps... my 2 are Vibro heaven where on the DR I almost do better with an outboard vib/trem ... nature of the beast I am told.

9. turdadactyl

turdadactyl Member

In case anybody's interested, here's a quick blues jam I just laid down on the Vibro Champ. I left some messy parts in the lead, but...whatever.

It's 2 guitars, both recorded with a SRV strat through the Vibro Champ at 6. The drums are a drum machine (obviously) and the bass is direct through a Chandler TG-2 pre.

Here 'tis