Is Nitro Worth The Extra Cost vs a Poly Finish on a Guitar Body ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by JB6464, Dec 3, 2019 at 11:59 AM.

1. JB6464

JB6464 Member

I'm starting to piece together a new Strat build and wondering if a Nitro finish is really worth the higher cost verses a Poly finish .
    I've never owned a Nitro finished Strat or Tele body so I really don't know if it's all talk with Nitro because it's the old school way or can you really hear the difference compared to a Poly finish .
    It will not have a Relic beat up finish look other than aging the hardware and Antiquity pickups so it doesn't look so bling bling new .
    What would you guys go with and is it worth the extra cost for Nitro ?

2. DonP

DonP Member

Poly works fine on my Charvel ProMods.

uab9253, HERSCHEL and Alan Dunn like this.
  3. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

I prefer it, but I wouldn't turn down a nice guitar with poly either. My Tele is poly finished, my Strat and Les Pauls are nitro. I don't think there is a tonal improvement, but as you noted already, nitro wears better.

Guavadude, saltbird, 5F6-A and 4 others like this.
  4. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

There's no tonal difference. Despite what people on the internet say, nitro doesn't "breathe". Nitro is nowhere near as durable as poly, but that's also why nitro ages the way it does, which a lot of people like. I'm not really a big fan of nitro, especially on the back of the neck. I've had far too many problems with sticky nitro, I think something about my sweat/body chemistry just doesn't react well with it. I really don't think it's worth paying extra for what is, ultimately, an inferior finish, but that's just my 2 cents. Besides, the nitro being used today isn't the same as it used to be, you just can't get the same stuff Fender and Gibson were using in the 50s.

stratmaniac, dito, bsacamano and 22 others like this.
  5. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

I like them both, and I'm glad to have both kinds of finishes on various guitars. Poly is better. It's more durable, and looks nicer for longer. No question. Nitro scratches the nostalgia itch, but can be sticky and finicky.

Tonally there is no difference at all. When I am evaluating a guitar, what kind of finish it has is at the bottom of my priority list. However, if it's nitro I do kick my alert level up a notch, to make sure I avoid any of the problems nitro is known for.

flopman, uab9253, indeedido and 4 others like this.
  6. Brian N

Brian N Member

On a neck, yes it's worth it. On a body, no.

mangoman and mody like this.
  7. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

Actually, nitro wears worse. Poly will stay looking new for MUCH longer than nitro.

But when "worse" is what people find beautiful, I guess "better" is in the eye of the beholder. :)

8. Zado

Zado Member

Of course it does, it's impregnated with M.O.J.O.

shane8 and wire-n-wood like this.
  9. Flying_Milkman

Flying_Milkman Silver Supporting Member

I 100% prefer nitro.

I 100% don't base my guitar buying decisions on the finish.

Abram4235, stonem, ssdeluxe and 6 others like this.
  10. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

It really comes down to, do you want it to age or not. Poly will be incredibly durable and will wear out very very slowly. You won't get checking.

Nitro will wear faster and you'll get checking over time. Some people love that. Other people don't.

That's basically what you're deciding between.

dito, Abram4235, slowerhand and 13 others like this.
  11. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Not to me but I avoid all upcharges in everything.

metr01d likes this.
  12. newfmp3

newfmp3 Member

I have both. I can't stand Nitro. Nitro on my Fenders and LP's. Sticky, shows every mark, wears really fast. I just don't get the appeal. I got poly guitars from 30 years ago and still look fine. There's no differences in sound, it's all in peoples heads. Maybe 60 years ago with true nitro but not now.

13. singlecutarmy

singlecutarmy Member

I hate poly because it reflects too much light, so instead of seeing the wood you just see a shitload of plasticy glare. On cheaper gutiars you also tend to see imperfections, areas where the light reflections distort, curve in ways that don't match the contours, etc. those are imperfections and they look terrible to me and cheap.

Purely aesthetic I know but that's important to me.

14. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

Interesting perspective, that you prefer nitro because you see too many imperfections with Poly. I never thought of it that way, but I understand what you are saying.

uab9253 likes this.
  15. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

If I have the choice I'd rather have nitro. The guitars wear a lot faster but in a more "natural" way. The poly guitars will look brand new until they get damaged and then it looks really off putting. But I've never bought a guitar because it was nitro or turned one away because it wasn't.

5F6-A, stonem, Gasp100 and 4 others like this.
  16. newfmp3

newfmp3 Member

it is interesting considering nitro shows every swirl, nick, mark etc.

17. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I prefer well done poly over nitro.

Anacharsis and shane8 like this.
  18. Neverwhere

Neverwhere Member

I much prefer the feel of lacquer finished guitars, they usually feel like the surface isn't as smooth, they feel less slick/slippery. Every poly guitar I've had with a contoured body winds up being irritating to play sitting because of how slick the poly is on my leg and they slip away. There is also something overall tactile that feels nicer with lacquer finished guitars. Most lacquer finished guitars have pretty thin finishes as well, and poly on most guitars is very, very thick, giving this impression that the guitar is coated in syrupy plastic (which is kind of true of both polyester, polyurethane and nitro lacquer as they are all polymers IIRC, it just seems extreme with the two former rather than latter).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 10:44 AM
  19. Stike

Stike Member

Polyester or polyurethane? Nitrocellulose? Which manufacturer? Which of their formulations?

There's a lot more variables beyond just "nitro vs poly".

Different finishes have different characteristics which may be a pro to some and a con to others.

20. Milkman

Milkman Supporting Member

Nitro has a different look than poly. As others have pointed out, it wears more quickly than poly and also wears differently. That nice checking and cracking that many of us find appealing doesn't happen with poly, but in my opinion, that's where the advantages end.

There's no impact to tone. Poly lasts longer.